Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to drill out the bolt circled in the below picture and have removed the other bolts in the surrounding area. Would anybody have a breakdown of which bolts go where? If I could get a photo of this that would be great. It is a 2006 VRSCR.
broken bolt.jpg

Thanks

·
EXCELSIOR
8,388 Posts
I can't answer your question, but would add that to be "safe" I would slip a piece of thin metal up between the bracket and the plastic gas tank to prevent accidental puncture once you break through the bolt remains. Be a real shame to end up with a bigger problem than you started with.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Upper P/N 4515M, lower P/N 4471M The aft screw hole is unused with a plastic plug in it - red circled hole does take the bolt. I will say after I had to replace mine the H-D number was incorrect for one of those bolts so match up whatever you have left with a replace-ment from H-D or hardware store. - you'll need the lower longer bushing P/N 49072-06 and upper shorter bushing P/N 49114-06 as well if the bolts broke and one or both are missing - Yea, don't drill the fuel tank like rc4man suggested use a metal drill stop - especially with an electric drill - a ruined fuel tank, & possibly a fire won't be fun ! :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
My foot peg bolts got bent up near Tail of the Dragon when we stopped in a town parking lot to ask directions to a local Mexican restaurant and a young lady staring into her phone (as she backed up) hit my buddy on his brand new H-D full dresser bent the front fender only, then hit my brand new engine guard knocking me over backwards where I hit the back of my head on the pavement - luckily she stopped at that point and I had my FF helmet still on so other than my Ti vertebrae fusion plate causing neck pain I was OK - footpeg and engine guard kept bike off my leg and body - I got a quite a few grand out of her insurance, new helmet, lots of pieces parts and plenty left over for go fast goodies. Wear your safety gear guys, I was going 0 Mph and I'd still probably be dead without that helmet - good luck with the bolt & bushings garymac - ride safe ! ride on !

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
What are those holes there for? I have three holes there with nothing in them on my 2007 VRSCX.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Those holes are for several things. Most commonly now on later models is for the exhaust bracket mounting. Be it right side for the DX and for dual exhausts on the F model. Same frame for both. When new and unused, they come with plastic plugs that can be removed to make use of the threads.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
One day, hopefully soon, I'm gonna graft a Muscle exhaust on my R Model ( without those gaudy A$$ Muscle turn out mufflers ) and have a dual exhaust ala' TL1000 and put that other threaded hole to work supporting the left mid pipe & muffler on my bike. AlI I need is a little time & money, so I'm working on that future goal - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
SRR,
I had the same idea for my A but be aware you need a muscle type primary to relocate the oil dipstick because the crosspipe blocks the stock one, unless the R is different, which I wouldn't know about.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Yes, you're right about that I just bought a used black clutch and alternator cover for my next engine build but that's for a 2-1 exhaust, so yea, going to need that Muscle side cover the other hold back is a set of custom mid pipes to clear the mid pegs and custom brackets for custom fit mufflers - then if you want a better look custom heat shields. Just bring lots of time, money and frustrating fabrication work while the bike is out of service, I don't have all that right now but I will do it in the future - Sounds great listen to the Bassani website for the Muscle slip on's - it will be similar just for mid pegs bikes -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts