Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I run either Amsoil 20W-50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

Both synthetic, the current fill is Mobil.

·
Wick
546 Posts
I run normal Harley oil and change it every 6 months all the research I have done says you need to be doing big klms to get any benifit from running synthetic oil.:hidesbeh:

·
Vagrant
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers much appreciated was starting to think the only alternative to HD was
AmsoilVeil look for the mobil product as an alternative.

How have you found the consumption of the respective brands you have tried?
My bike has found the HD oil to be very appetizing and likes to eat 500ml every few thou Kaye .. Are you finding any diff with the synth ??

Cheers

Coxy

·
Registered
437 Posts
I run the screaming eagle full synthetic and find it great.
I have heard that the V Rods use oil but i dont find that, maybe uses maybe 200 ml between changes.

I change my synthetic every 5k as i heard years back ya dont want it in any longer than that.

A mate of mine is using TorCo on an airhead and swears by it, i think ill look into using that next change.

·
Wick
546 Posts
My bike running HD oil never needs any added between my 6 month intervals but I am only doing around 2000 to 3000km. Thats why for me synthetic is not worth it because I would never leave the same oil in my engine for any longer than 9 months. From what I have read Synthetic is extremely good if you are doing big km between service intervals.

·
Wick
546 Posts
And one thing I have learnt over time as a mechanic, it is not a good idea to continously change oil brands and types (Mineral-Synthetic).
Engines dont like it so either type you choose stick to it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have to say that the Mobil V-Twin synthetic (first time used) may not be quite as good as the Amsoil product. There is not much in it, but I am sure the gear change is not quite as slick as it is with Amsoil.

It wouldn't stop me using it again and in reality the Mobil product is easier to get here in Tas.

In terms of oil use I've not noticed any apparent appetite.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
hey tel, there is a dealer importer, for amsoil here in melbourne ,if u need it, i can get u the phone number, they sell it in quarts ,but also gallon containers ,im sure they would ship u a box

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Or let me now what you need and I can ship it to your door.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks gents. I had used Amsoil exclusively in the Rod and even use Amsoil 10W-40 in my Triumph and have used their marine 4 stroke oil.

I thought I would try out the Mobil product to see if I could detect any difference.

Shed the last lot of Amsoil I got was through you.:D

The next lot of oil I need I will check my options.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mobil 1 vtwin synthetic in 08dx and my destroyer change it every 5k clicks on the dx and every 2-3 meeting on the destroyer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts