Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brainstorming here on what I can do for my DX. If you take a peek at my gallery you will see that I was quite chrome happy with my 06. This time around I would like to surmount a different challenge, how to bling a DX.

First up is wheels. I have 2 trains of thought on this.
1) 2 tone chrome and gloss black powdercoat wheels.
2) black chrome wheels.

The first 2 pics are Hogpro's Lemans wheel. This is the design I am going with. I've already ran it by Tyson and it seems it's something he can tackle. Anyhow picture the chrome Lemans wheel, with only the inner lip (where the ridge is) and the spokes powdercoated gloss black. I will also try to keep the small valleys on either side of each spoke chrome so there is a bit of chrome on the inside. I know its hard to picture, but I think the contrast with the tire and the rest of the bike will be incredible. I may even hand paint a bit of HD orange inside of the slim valley inside the spokes to match my airbox stripes.

Of course I have thought about taking the Hogpro Lemans polished, and sending it out to get black chromed. It will have more bling, but the contrast will be less. The last pic is of a black chromed wheel.

My gut is telling me that contrast will look much better than just all black. I've seen the all black wheels and while they look great, they just leave me with a feeling of emptiness, like it's too much black, like there needs to be some small contrast between the tire and the wheel.

Anyhow I'm just brainstorming here, and would love to hear the thoughts of my dark brothers.

Attachments

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
that 9 spoke is a good looking wheel, so is the 5 spoke black chrome, good luck with the touchscreen gps/dvd/computer in the airbox, let us know how that one turns out

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I like the Black Chromed look.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Black Chrome

I have a chromed-out 03.

I think if I was to mod another one I would go with a black enamel and black chrome look. The black chrome has a tastefull bling look which is unique.

·
Gone
545 Posts
Someone on here has a pic of a dx with regular chrome wheels and it looks awesome. I may do that myself at some point. I think chrome wheels look the best; I like a little contrast.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Spinedoc ,

Not to throw a wrench into all your thinking .... BUT , Dont forget about the 2 Brake rotors on the front and the Brake roter and pully on the back . Which in my opion hides ALOT of the wheel .

I have the same thoughts about black wheels as yourself . I thought about doing black wheels with chrome rotors and pullys ......

Just something to think about .

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
This one

Attachments

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diamond Lil said:
Lil you rock, I was trying to do this on photoshop but I suck. I don't think I'll do the orange, but it is a thought. Otherwise yes that is the look I am going for. Chrome on the outside, and powdercoated gloss black on the inside.

I did find a shop in Hayward CA (used to live there) that does the black chrome, so Im going to get a quote from them to see how expensive the black chrome is. I'm still quite undecided.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diamond Lil said:
BTW Lil, if you look on the spokes you will see a ridge on either side, I plan on leaving that outside section chromed, kind of like an outline of chrome where the ridge is. If you have some free time can you do up the pic again without the orange, but with the chrome edges on the spokes.

Trying to work photoshop on a laptop with a trackpad doesnt work so well, lol.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
spinedoc said:
BTW Lil, if you look on the spokes you will see a ridge on either side, I plan on leaving that outside section chromed, kind of like an outline of chrome where the ridge is. If you have some free time can you do up the pic again without the orange, but with the chrome edges on the spokes.

Trying to work photoshop on a laptop with a trackpad doesnt work so well, lol.
Dang!!!! I had it that way, but didn't read it in your original post!
I've got to go to work in a few....later tonight or tomorrow....when I have time again to play.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
After I saw the black chrome in person I think it looks awesome especially for the DX.

but as you've read in some of the other threads I'm not sure about the duribilty of it :hmm:

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
To me it depends on what you will do with the rest of the bike. If you're going to go with chrome controls and such then the chrome/powdercoat would look sweet. If you want the black chrome then it wouldn't look right to me unless you did the controls and such to match. IMHO :2cents:

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Youngzee said:
To me it depends on what you will do with the rest of the bike. If you're going to go with chrome controls and such then the chrome/powdercoat would look sweet. If you want the black chrome then it wouldn't look right to me unless you did the controls and such to match. IMHO :2cents:
Yes that's what I'm thinking also. While maybe one day I might do all the chromeable stuff in black chrome, right now I think I'm going to limit it to powdercoated black.

The durability issue is a big deal as well. While I do not plan on riding it in the winter, the salt around here stays on the roads well into late spring. The less chrome the less trouble I have.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
there's my shot at a wheel :D

Attachments

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lakedrunk said:
there's my shot at a wheel :D

Wow,excellent job! This is exactly what it should look like. I'm liking the contrast better than the all black chrome the more I look at it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
jmmp4346 said:
Hey spinedoc check out Performance Machines contrast cut wheels. I think they might be a good option.
These are the wheels you should look into Doc!!!!!

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The PM wheels are nice, but they are anodized and polished aluminum. It is actually much cheaper to get the hogpro ones and have Tyson powdercoat them, they will look nicer and be more durable.

Rodder what do you think of the 2 tone design?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Just a small bit of campaigning for the orange. Look at it with the stripe.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts