Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I love my V!!!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed LED's to light up their engine?

Please post pics and opinions. I've seen them a lot lately on eBay and I'm considering them.

Thanks.

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
I saw a chromed out custom harley at night at the local hog chapter meeting that had them-- never seen anything like it, but it sure was cool. I always thought it would be cheezy-- but after seeing them, I am waiting for the budget to allow a setup for mine.....
gotta have my priorities right, still need to get a legal tag.....
got the insurance, but the sales tax is around 1200. :tmbsdow:

send some pics if you get them installed!

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I'd get an opinion from the doc before buying any LED thingys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i plan on getting a set at some point. Just not in the budget right now.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I have Kuryakyn spider lights installed at night I get all kinds of compliments. I even run them when riding on the rode at night (although, some people have gotten pulled over for doing so).

I'll post some night shots, when I post the pics of my new American Custom skinz.

·
Todd
482 Posts
I got blue lights on mine, check this thread. The pics don't do it justice but I think that is because they put out so much light.
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2452&page=2&pp=15&highlight=tmvick

Like I said I did a LOT of research. Kuryakyn's are surface mount LEDs. Surface mounts don't put out as much light and I have seen them fail. Just look at some of the different manufacturer "pod" lights on bikes. They will have one or two burnt out or can not take the vibration. The ones from www.customdynamics.com are the best I have found. A little big but well worth it. I get TONS of complements and going to do a friends bike with them next week. Just check the thread. :cheers:

PS. I think since mine are so bright I have been stopped in Daytona twice. Don't get blue or red if you want to drive with them on. My :2cents:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw some of the sets on ebay. Seemed a little pricy. I ordered a set of 50 5mm 12000mcd LEDs and 50 1/4 watt resistors. Solder the resistors onto the positive side of the LED and put them on. A hell of a lot cheaper. No, I didn't put all of them on, I only needed 3 on each side. Got some extra to play with.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
WalzeRod said:
I saw some of the sets on ebay. Seemed a little pricy. I ordered a set of 50 5mm 12000mcd LEDs and 50 1/4 watt resistors. Solder the resistors onto the positive side of the LED and put them on. A hell of a lot cheaper. No, I didn't put all of them on, I only needed 3 on each side. Got some extra to play with.
time for a how-to with pics walzerod ;) or you can go into business with the doc

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'll see about posting some pics after the weekend, got another damn wedding to attend. FREE BEER!! :yak:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
uh oh.. I can hear the herd stampeding now.... ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
LED's

LED’s are not expensive, they're quite easy to install, they draw very little current, they look cool when you want them and if you don't want them on then you just turn them off. I think they look great on V-Rods and I just posted some pictures in the gallery. I bought mine from www.customdynamics.com , Jeff

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I love the way the amber running lights light up the front end and reflect off of the chrome. I would love to put some in the engine area

·
Registered
439 Posts
brent_walkoviak said:
I have Kuryakyn spider lights installed at night I get all kinds of compliments. I even run them when riding on the rode at night (although, some people have gotten pulled over for doing so).

I'll post some night shots, when I post the pics of my new American Custom skinz.
Brent,

Are they illegal in Florida?

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
same in Texas... no blue lights except on emergency vehicles, and red to the rear only. I imagine that its pretty much the same anywhere, since vehicles are the same all across the US. having the blue lights around here just gives PD probable cause to pull you over... all those euro cars are learning that.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Just saw your pics in the gallery Jeff. Looks very cool.
I'd like to do it, but it would really draw closer scrutiny to the bike..... That would mean I would feel obligated to keep it REEEALLY clean.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Al,
I have have a couple riders tell they know of several people getting warnings for riding with red or blue on (not tail lights). Mine are blue/green and I havent had a problem yet. Being they are not DOT approved they could technically give you a ticket if they wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Here is a pic of my kuryakyn's in total darkness.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts