Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the letters to the editor in the most recent issue of the Enthusiast. You know, the magazine published by HD. A reader asked about switching to Syn3 for the synthetic benefits in his newer bike and the Editor replied that Syn3 is the only lubricant you can switch to that doesn't impact the 2 year warranty. Now, I think this has been covered here many times, but that is a load of BS right? If so, talk about HD spreading mis-information!

The editor also says that switching to Syn3 is beneficial because you don't have to flush the system. So, do I have to flush the system to switch to Amsoil, or Mobile 1 for that matter? Paging Ken to the Oil Service Counter.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
Greg said:
I was reading the letters to the editor in the most recent issue of the Enthusiast. You know, the magazine published by HD. A reader asked about switching to Syn3 for the synthetic benefits in his newer bike and the Editor replied that Syn3 is the only lubricant you can switch to that doesn't impact the 2 year warranty. Now, I think this has been covered here many times, but that is a load of BS right? If so, talk about HD spreading mis-information!

The editor also says that switching to Syn3 is beneficial because you don't have to flush the system. So, do I have to flush the system to switch to Amsoil, or Mobile 1 for that matter? Paging Ken to the Oil Service Counter.
i read the same thing yesterday and think its BS!!!

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
:bs: The owners manual lists the service grades that are appropriate for use in the V-rod, and does not specify that you must use HD oil only. Of course, it does recommend HD oil. In general, any oil suitable for diesel engine service is OK for the V-rod. There is no need or requirement for flushing.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Greg said:

:bs: I am pinched for time right now for a full drawn up explanation but will give you the link below. This was a letter writen to AMSOIL, Inc from one of the factory people in Milwaukee regarding other oils in HD motorcycles. As you will read there is no warranty "voiding" for using other oils. http://www.modernoils.com/HDWarranty.html

On your other question, there is no flushing required when changing to AMSOIL or Mobil 1. Just do an oil change as usual.

What issue of Enthusiast are you finding this in? I would love to forward it to the AMSOIL Legal Department for consideration.

Thanks, Ken

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
o2man98 said:
What issue of Enthusiast are you finding this in? I would love to forward it to the AMSOIL Legal Department for consideration.

Thanks, Ken
I saw it also. It's the newest one that they sent out.
On the plus side, there are lots of V-Rods in it!

EDIT: BTW, they don't use the word "void". They say something like "will not affect". The way I read it was that if SYN3 caused the problem, they wouldn't ask querstions. If you were using some other type of oil, they may look deeper into it...

·
Registered
239 Posts
oils??

quick question for all.... When is the last time you saw or heard of an "oil related failure" ???? why spend 10+ dollars on synthetic oil when really the only reason oil gets changed is because of fuel dilution????

Amsoil,Mobil 1, syn 3, royal purple all have the same interval set by manufacturers due to FUEL DILUTION !!!! no other reason!!! why waste 10+ dollars a quart when the interval stays the same???

Most people think they get 10+ HP and bike wont use oil.... there is no reason or testing done to state this is true or false...stop wasting your money and listeneing to others making false claims or stories when they have no scientific data or evidence to back the claims!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah, its BS. Especially when its written by the manufacturer who also wants you to buy their products.

I used the HD Syn and had to switch due to the exhorbatant price I had to pay for it since it had HD on the container :paper: . So I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for about $2 per quart less.

I wonder who's oil the HD sny is? I'm sure its just another brand who put the HD name on it. HD is not in the oil making business.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Vr Master said:
quick question for all.... When is the last time you saw or heard of an "oil related failure" ???? why spend 10+ dollars on synthetic oil when really the only reason oil gets changed is because of fuel dilution????

Amsoil,Mobil 1, syn 3, royal purple all have the same interval set by manufacturers due to FUEL DILUTION !!!! no other reason!!! why waste 10+ dollars a quart when the interval stays the same???

Most people think they get 10+ HP and bike wont use oil.... there is no reason or testing done to state this is true or false...stop wasting your money and listeneing to others making false claims or stories when they have no scientific data or evidence to back the claims!
:popcorn

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Vr Master said:

The recommended service interval with AMSOIL is 2 times the OEM interval on stock motorcycles and on modified bikes oil change intervals can be lengthened with oil analysis. The savings comes from the fact that AMSOIL costs less than other synthetic motorcycle oils including SYN3 even with taking shipping into consideration. There is 1 reason alone for switching.

AMSOIL also never makes claims that the motorcycle oil will increase HP or stop oil burning. No oil will increase HP but to may be possible for an oil to free up lost HP due to friction. How much? Little. It should also be noted that even though AMSOIL has not done testing on V-Rod oil burning that many members have noticed a decrease in oil consumption when switching to AMSOIL or Mobil 1, for that matter.

DallasV Rod said:
I wonder who's oil the HD sny is? I'm sure its just another brand who put the HD name on it. HD is not in the oil making business.
SYN3 is manufactured by Venezuelan owned Citgo which is a manufacturer for a lot fo OEM products. It is not a product that just has a different label, it is unique from others. This info is directly from a MSDS.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Hummmmm.... I burn about 1/2 quart of Syn 3 every 500 miles or so. Can i mix other oils in there when I fill it up or do I have to continue with Syn3 until the next oil change?

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
Greg said:

Bottom line: If HD requires that you can only use their oil for the warranty to be in effect, they must give their oil away for free.

·
Registered
239 Posts
oil change intervals are dictated by emissions and emissions only...show me a bike with 10k on it oil that will pass emissions.The reason being is fuel dilution occurs regardless of which oil used...most people make claims do not understand how emission standards are met or complied with...and besides running a bike for 5-10k miles is going to change the overall fuel mixture of the bike..it will continually run richer with more miles on the oil.
Nothing can take this away it is standard in all engines!

remember oil is cheap and engine repairs are not... why would you subject oil to 5-10 k miles when it could be costly???

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Vr Master said:
oil change intervals are dictated by emissions and emissions only...show me a bike with 10k on it oil that will pass emissions.The reason being is fuel dilution occurs regardless of which oil used...most people make claims do not understand how emission standards are met or complied with...and besides running a bike for 5-10k miles is going to change the overall fuel mixture of the bike..it will continually run richer with more miles on the oil.

remember oil is cheap and engine repairs are not... why would you subject oil to 5-10 k miles when it could be costly???
:bs: On a normally tuned motor, there is very little if any unburned fuel left in the cylinder, with very little, if any, of that getting past the rings and then any that does reach the oil will be quickly evaporated in the 200 degree oil. Then the crankcase ventilation system will return the fumes back into the cylinder to get burned and the ecm will adjust the mixture accordingly, at least on O2 equiped vehicles.

Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
Hummmmm.... I burn about 1/2 quart of Syn 3 every 500 miles or so. Can i mix other oils in there when I fill it up or do I have to continue with Syn3 until the next oil change?
Mixing is ok. It's written in most oil brochures. Including Amsoil.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
So let me get this straight. You are surprised that a Magazine put out and financed by HD (Propaganda mean anything?) states that Their Products are the Only Products you should in their Motorcycles? Hmmm I would be interested in this Magazine's take on comparing HD's to other brands of bikes next, that won't be a waste of my time.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Damn does this mean my warranty is no good now. :rofl:

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Max said:
Damn does this mean my warranty is no good now. :rofl:
Your warranty is fine, seeing that your bike has not been modified in any way from stock.

Vr Master said:

Could you please explain how the oil has any effect on the A/F mixture on V-Rods or any other bikes WITHOUT O2 sensors? Even with one, the claim that the engine will run continually richer just doesn't make sense to me. Why would it? :confused:

Where the hell is Ken? :stilpoke:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Pondo said:
Could you please explain how the oil has any effect on the A/F mixture on V-Rods or any other bikes WITHOUT O2 sensors? Even with one, the claim that the engine will run continually richer just doesn't make sense to me. Why would it? :confused:

Where the hell is Ken? :stilpoke:
Carl it may sound funny but cars we have on the border line of passing IM240 usually an oil change will clean them up enough to pass. It has to do with crankcase ventilation. We can also cheat and pull the pcv valve since it is the pcv valve that lets it vent the oil vapors which contain fuel back into the engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts