Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 VRSCD that started having an electrical issue. The bike had a 1 year old battery but if I let the bike sit for a week the battery will go dead. I was told the battery was junk so bought a new Harley battery and still the same issue. Let the bike sit and is dead in a week. By accident I pressed the engine off switch next to the start button and with the button in the off position the battery does not go dead. Had it to the shop twice and no answers. I know the simple answer is leave it in the off position but that’s not the point, I want it to work correctly. Put new cables on battery and went through and cleaned all grounds and connectors and same thing as I said above. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have a 2006 VRSCD that started having an electrical issue. The bike had a 1 year old battery but if I let the bike sit for a week the battery will go dead. I was told the battery was junk so bought a new Harley battery and still the same issue. Let the bike sit and is dead in a week. By accident I pressed the engine off switch next to the start button and with the button in the off position the battery does not go dead. Had it to the shop twice and no answers. I know the simple answer is leave it in the off position but that’s not the point, I want it to work correctly. Put new cables on battery and went through and cleaned all grounds and connectors and same thing as I said above. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks for any help.
Have you changed handlebars or had the switch assy off recently?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
When the Engine Stop Switch is set to RUN the GY (gray) ignition circuit is connected to the BK/W (black with white stripe) "switched power" circuit that supplies power to the SYSTEM relay. However, when the ignition switch is set to OFF, the IGNITION circuit (GY wire) should be dead and so should the Engine Stop Switch.

I would first try measuring voltage on the "switched power" circuit (BK/W wire) with the Engine Stop Switch set to RUN and the ignition switch set to OFF. This BK/W wire can be accessed by pulling the SYSTEM relay (located under passenger seat) and probing the lower right side connector for the relay. Voltage should be 0 V (referenced to battery negative). If voltage is > 0, there's a voltage short to the GY wire. If you don't have a DVM (digital volt meter) try removing the IGNITION fuse and see if the battery drain stops. If pulling the fuse stops the battery drain, you have a short to the GY wire.

You could also try removing the Power Commander but although the PC "piggy back" connection to the ECM does tap into the "switched power" circuit, it doesn't use the GY wire IGNITION circuit, so it shouldn't cause a drain with the ignition switch set to off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts