Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not 100% yet on the computer swap yet and honestly I'm anticipating completely abandoning that idea after its rideabel.

The CR this motor is running at is 12:1 the same as the 1402's just with a 4.25" bore. He's got a map for a 1487 from BeelzeKnut when he built his motor a few years back only now he's got the dyno to really dial it in. Anyway there's going to be a lot happening today, tomorrow, and this weekend. I know ill post some stuff because I'm just too excited about this project.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Just be sure to completely break it in before too much dyno time - I've seen new tight engines spin bearings, drop rods and seize up on early dyno runs so get fueling close a bit rich if anything & ride it with plenty of cooling air on the radiator and many heat cycles to be sure all the internal parts have burnished in and rings are seated, everything all in their happy place - hey are you using break in mineral oil first before full synthetic ? That's what I'd do like the Motul Mineral based M/C oil -

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So I'm actually having Scott so the initial break in on motor as there is way too much on the line to leave it to me. Im very mechanical but i don't have a load simulating dyno nor do i have easy access to one leaving me to break it in on the street. Motors actually been done for a few months now, we've just been waiting on a frame to swap it into to do this break in. In this way ill get the motor and my ECM back with the tune so ill i have to do it swap the motor and start riding.

He is using a formulated break in oil, probably amsoil, and is heat cycling it. This morning he idled it at 2000 RPM for a while then shut it down to cool, he then fired it back up rode ~7 mile on the dyno after playing musical throttle bodies to find one my motors happy with . He'll do another few miles over the next few days then drop the oil pan, pickup, and baffle. If everything looks ok, it'll ship out.

He's given me specific instructions and basically ill be feeding him data after the things back in my R so he can provide some remote assistance getting it ready for WOT. As you stated above i can't immediately do a WOT run and we have to work our way up there. Surprisingly enough after everything's broke in and before i do a dyno pull, he wants me to do 4 gear pulls on the street the feed him the data. Not sure what benefit/risk the street has over the dyno apart from being a real world engine application (and fully recognizing that a dyno is a simulation). In any case as its been mentioned countless times, my motors in the correct hands to get me up, running, and ripping.

I can't say enough about the PCV / TT. I am running it with my supercharger. The tuning has been a non-issue. And yes, I keep the timing retard. SUPER important with boost.
Question for you John, hows the PCV with boost what did you have to do to get it going? what's you displacement and boost levels?

I've another Falicon crank (1/4" stroke) i'm in possession of and i want to do a 1350 SC build on my X. When i called and spoke to Dynojet about the subject they were pretty adamant that the PCV is not appropriate for boosted applications. From my reading on the subject there is a work around but it requires you to essentially re-scale the interpret voltage from the MAP and correspondingly rescale the VE tables. Dynojet recommended they pressure input based PC-5 for boosted applications.

just curious

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well dimebag, LONG story, but ill just hit the highlights. I have the PCVPTI with target tune / wide band 02's. The PTI part of the PCV is Pressure Temperature Imput. So this can be tuned 2 ways. Either by TPS, as I am currently doing, or it can be tuned based upon manifold pressure, as the stock ECM is based. My bike is stock 1250, '15 miscle. I have a boost limiting valve set to 6psi max. Knowing what I know now, the TPS method seems more than adequate for street use. But, I am running 2 MAP sensors. The stock 1bar, that the stock ECM must see, and i added a 2 bar in case I wanted to tune using the pressure method. (Haven't tried that yet, but now see no need). I made some fancy parts, and both MAP's get their "signal" from stock location, under the butterflies.
Hope I answered your question......
John

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well dimebag, LONG story, but ill just hit the highlights. I have the PCVPTI with target tune / wide band 02's. The PTI part of the PCV is Pressure Temperature Imput. So this can be tuned 2 ways. Either by TPS, as I am currently doing, or it can be tuned based upon manifold pressure, as the stock ECM is based. My bike is stock 1250, '15 miscle. I have a boost limiting valve set to 6psi max. Knowing what I know now, the TPS method seems more than adequate for street use. But, I am running 2 MAP sensors. The stock 1bar, that the stock ECM must see, and i added a 2 bar in case I wanted to tune using the pressure method. (Haven't tried that yet, but now see no need). I made some fancy parts, and both MAP's get their "signal" from stock location, under the butterflies.
Hope I answered your question......
John
As was recently pointed out to me. I don't have target tune. I have autotune module.....
Tomato / tomato....
John

21 - 25 of 25 Posts