Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not 100% yet on the computer swap yet and honestly I'm anticipating completely abandoning that idea after its rideabel.

The CR this motor is running at is 12:1 the same as the 1402's just with a 4.25" bore. He's got a map for a 1487 from BeelzeKnut when he built his motor a few years back only now he's got the dyno to really dial it in. Anyway there's going to be a lot happening today, tomorrow, and this weekend. I know ill post some stuff because I'm just too excited about this project.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Just be sure to completely break it in before too much dyno time - I've seen new tight engines spin bearings, drop rods and seize up on early dyno runs so get fueling close a bit rich if anything & ride it with plenty of cooling air on the radiator and many heat cycles to be sure all the internal parts have burnished in and rings are seated, everything all in their happy place - hey are you using break in mineral oil first before full synthetic ? That's what I'd do like the Motul Mineral based M/C oil -

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So I'm actually having Scott so the initial break in on motor as there is way too much on the line to leave it to me. Im very mechanical but i don't have a load simulating dyno nor do i have easy access to one leaving me to break it in on the street. Motors actually been done for a few months now, we've just been waiting on a frame to swap it into to do this break in. In this way ill get the motor and my ECM back with the tune so ill i have to do it swap the motor and start riding.

He is using a formulated break in oil, probably amsoil, and is heat cycling it. This morning he idled it at 2000 RPM for a while then shut it down to cool, he then fired it back up rode ~7 mile on the dyno after playing musical throttle bodies to find one my motors happy with . He'll do another few miles over the next few days then drop the oil pan, pickup, and baffle. If everything looks ok, it'll ship out.

He's given me specific instructions and basically ill be feeding him data after the things back in my R so he can provide some remote assistance getting it ready for WOT. As you stated above i can't immediately do a WOT run and we have to work our way up there. Surprisingly enough after everything's broke in and before i do a dyno pull, he wants me to do 4 gear pulls on the street the feed him the data. Not sure what benefit/risk the street has over the dyno apart from being a real world engine application (and fully recognizing that a dyno is a simulation). In any case as its been mentioned countless times, my motors in the correct hands to get me up, running, and ripping.

I can't say enough about the PCV / TT. I am running it with my supercharger. The tuning has been a non-issue. And yes, I keep the timing retard. SUPER important with boost.
Question for you John, hows the PCV with boost what did you have to do to get it going? what's you displacement and boost levels?

I've another Falicon crank (1/4" stroke) i'm in possession of and i want to do a 1350 SC build on my X. When i called and spoke to Dynojet about the subject they were pretty adamant that the PCV is not appropriate for boosted applications. From my reading on the subject there is a work around but it requires you to essentially re-scale the interpret voltage from the MAP and correspondingly rescale the VE tables. Dynojet recommended they pressure input based PC-5 for boosted applications.

just curious

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well dimebag, LONG story, but ill just hit the highlights. I have the PCVPTI with target tune / wide band 02's. The PTI part of the PCV is Pressure Temperature Imput. So this can be tuned 2 ways. Either by TPS, as I am currently doing, or it can be tuned based upon manifold pressure, as the stock ECM is based. My bike is stock 1250, '15 miscle. I have a boost limiting valve set to 6psi max. Knowing what I know now, the TPS method seems more than adequate for street use. But, I am running 2 MAP sensors. The stock 1bar, that the stock ECM must see, and i added a 2 bar in case I wanted to tune using the pressure method. (Haven't tried that yet, but now see no need). I made some fancy parts, and both MAP's get their "signal" from stock location, under the butterflies.
Hope I answered your question......
John

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well dimebag, LONG story, but ill just hit the highlights. I have the PCVPTI with target tune / wide band 02's. The PTI part of the PCV is Pressure Temperature Imput. So this can be tuned 2 ways. Either by TPS, as I am currently doing, or it can be tuned based upon manifold pressure, as the stock ECM is based. My bike is stock 1250, '15 miscle. I have a boost limiting valve set to 6psi max. Knowing what I know now, the TPS method seems more than adequate for street use. But, I am running 2 MAP sensors. The stock 1bar, that the stock ECM must see, and i added a 2 bar in case I wanted to tune using the pressure method. (Haven't tried that yet, but now see no need). I made some fancy parts, and both MAP's get their "signal" from stock location, under the butterflies.
Hope I answered your question......
John
As was recently pointed out to me. I don't have target tune. I have autotune module.....
Tomato / tomato....
John

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This past weekend my trusty 09AW motor was removed. This motor kept my R road worthy since 2016 and its about to be added to the lump of v-rod spare parts i've accumulated in my basement. Here are some highlights and thank freaking god the swing arm pivot shaft didn't seize again. When i pulled the original motor, it seized in the motor and i still live in fear of that event and the effort it took to remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
SO - Clark Kent just stepped into the phone booth for his Superman engine outfit ! Very cool dimebag that bike is going to be outright nasty - it'll probably lift the front wheel after it's broken in ! send a couple pics of the new engine going in - love this stuff - (y) :geek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yup streetrodracer, and Clark Kent looks so unassuming fully assembled. You'd never even know there are go-fast parts inside.

I never though of my self as an impatient person, until I received these pictures and boy am i wrong. I should just check out for the rest of the week because im not going to be doing anything else except hitting refresh on R&L's tracking system.

Tentative delivery Monday!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The countdown has entered days if not hours before I kick this beast over and take my first ride.

I pretty much got the motor in and installed the very next day, that was almost 2 weeks ago. It went into the frame easy with no hang up’s or issues. I owe this to the fact that the time between removal and installation was much shorter than when I installed the AW motor (and moved half way across the US).

Since then it’s been checking torques and slowly waiting on parts. The only real problem was the fact that one of the bores on the throttle body was stripped out and had to be helicoiled. Because the stripped bore happened to be rite above the idler cable anchor, I had to also order an M6X1 STI bottom out tap. The taper from the starting tap supplied with the helicoil kit, couldn't fully thread the bore with out the bottom out tap. Luckily in the day and age of Amazon and Ebay I was able to find one and get it shipped arriving a standard Covid-19 few-days-late. Not complaining though it gave me plenty of time to check, recheck, and make sure everything thing was up to snuff. Once it arrived I finished tapping the bore and made sure to put a drop of Red Loctite just before I threaded the helicoil in. Twenty-four hours for the loctite to cure, I had a repaired throttle body.

Simultaneously its also been a wait for the fuel pump. Scott dropped shipped a pump directly from Summit Racing but after almost 2 weeks without a shipping notification I looked into it. I discovered that the pump he’d ordered me (GCA719-2) was back ordered until the end of Oct. Luckily I called Walbro directly and they had a GSS342 with sock and wiring harness ready to go. According the USPS tracking that arrives tomorrow. i have my fuel pump bracket, Teflon wiring, and crimps all ready to go. Ill post some pictures of the early model V-rod fuel pump bracket but its way simpler than +07 and allows pretty much any fuel pump of a similar height and diameter to drop rite in.

Today I got the bike off the stand, loaded it up with Peak Global Lifetime and Amsoil then because the fuel pump wiring is all disassembled, I turned it over to get some oil primed thought the system. Ill do that same priming tomorrow but today was more a test to make sure everything worked.

few hours and a fuel pump left to go the countdown is on!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Love the " Not no Junk in the Trunk " engine delivery that's a Classic photo right there ! - great update dimebag yea be sure everything is perfect no sense in hurrying at this point keep up the great work ! (y);)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
IT LIVES! And i have the shitty cell phone video to prove it!

First ride was pretty uneventful, i was very careful with it and simply wanted to get some miles on it for the sake or data logging and to ride this creation. I took it up to the grocery store about 15 min away then back again. No issue and ill review the run data in the morning. Because i was being overly cautions i don't have a good idea what the power band is like but that will all come in time.

1487 album

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
IT IS ALIVE !! Pretty Damn Cool dimebag - I use 3000 Rpm as my under load minimum Rpm for stock stroke what do you think for that new engine still about the same, maybe even lower due to the added stroke can pull it ? Also what's the rev limiter set at I would think something lower than 9000 Rpm due to the added 3/8 stroke as you've effectively got a completely different engine there - I heard most don't need to be revved above 7700 Rpm or so so for max power so maybe an 8000 Rpm rev limit set point ? I guess it's all about the new Bore / Stroke relationship and especially Cam / head flow combination with that Bore / Stroke - what did Scott @ FMS suggest ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
IT IS ALIVE !! Pretty Damn Cool dimebag - I use 3000 Rpm as my under load minimum Rpm for stock stroke what do you think for that new engine still about the same, maybe even lower due to the added stroke can pull it ? Also what's the rev limiter set at I would think something lower than 9000 Rpm due to the added 3/8 stroke as you've effectively got a completely different engine there - I heard most don't need to be revved above 7700 Rpm or so so for max power so maybe an 8000 Rpm rev limit set point ? I guess it's all about the new Bore / Stroke relationship and especially Cam / head flow combination with that Bore / Stroke - what did Scott @ FMS suggest ?
i dont really have an under load threshold as the motors already been broken in. Similarly i don't intent to lower the 9K redline as this crank, pistons and rods was balanced by the company doing Scotts weld up's.
Basically where im at and what Scott advised me to do is to simply ride the bike to generate data for smoothing out the fuel map. He got back to me first thing this morning after reviewing the first ride data so I've another map to load up. Unfortunately it decided to rain today so i'm grounded until tomorrow but the rest of the week looks sunny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very impressed, dimebag. MASSIVE Respect on the commitment, $, determination and patience for such an incredibile build.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you all for the kind words! This forum has been a huge help and the members a part of it.
Freudie i enjoy the content and project your working on, I follow your proto parts pretty thoroughly. I'm a operations engineer, i know how use what others develop but cannot design to that level of detail you are.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts