Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right I know there are already some post on 08 stuff. I see some are disappointed in what they think are no changes for the VRSC platform. Just thought I would toss in a couple of things that I think are nice changes for this platform. Last year some said the same and I wrote a small bit to tell you some of the subtle but important changes so I will do it again for you. All of this is just MY PERSONAL OPINION that I wanted to share to give you guys some insight.

The O2 sensors are a nice new feature. Now your bike can adjust its tune to the environment around it. You will be thankful next time you are on a long ride and make those elevation changes. I think for the package they had to work with the sensors are not a terrible eye soar and they have them tucked away nicely. All my riding was local so I haven’t seen any elevation changes or other significant changes but I am sure it will work as well if not better then the other open loop systems HD has. I did notice a lot of heat at first but these bikes had zero miles on them. Once I had a few miles on the bike I think the ECM began to learn the operating parameters and rding habit and I did not notice the heat as much.

The rod has a new larger battery. All of us that own an older V-Rod know that the battery was not one your favorite components when it came to long term storage or excessive cranking of the motor. Don’t quote me but I believe the battery is now a 19amp battery that is physically larger and has more output.

Because of the new battery the new 1250cc motors (which is across the board, no more 1130cc) can afford to do away with the ACR (automatic compression release) on the exhaust cams. One less moving part and a little less rotating mass on the top end of the motor is always a good thing.

From what I am told the new 5 star blade wheels that were introduced is now the lightest wheel available on the VRSC platform. So for those of you that don’t want to go the Buell route but want to shave some weight with HD parts without sacrificing style this may be your option. I think they look great and would look great in a polished or chrome as well.

The new ABS is awesome. I have went across a grass field and gravel parking lot and hit the front and rear brakes as hard as I could and while turning a little bit at came to complete stop in full control never having the feeling that the bike would slide out from under me. I don’t know if I would spend the extra on the system personally because I like to control my brakes, but I did have a car pull out in front of me on a ride and the brakes worked awesome. I say that meaning that you don’t have that awkward first moments of panic where you dive the front end and slide the rear tire before your brain can tell your hand and foot to quit freaking out and ease off to take back control of the bike. I constantly tried to get the bike to break loose. It is hard to tell yourself that it is OK to hit the brakes as hard as you want and nothing bad will happen. After a few times the ABS brake system had my confidence and I braked as hard as I desired on wet, dry, sandy, or what ever surface I could. I have ridden both Hondas and BMW with ABS and think HD’s system is as good if not better.

For those of you that think you may upgrade your old bike or even a base 08 forget it. For this system the voltage regulator was moved to the bottom of the rad shroud where typically a more tradition Harley mounts up. Plus the system requires its own unique wire harness/ecm aside from the sensors, wiring, and pump module that you would have to purchase. So it would cost an arm and a leg to try and install one on a bike that didn’t come with it. So if you think you would like this safety feature and piece of mind then buy it on the bike. The $800 plus option seems steep but it really is a great working system and that money would easily be recouped in one panic slide down the road from a locked up wheel.

The clutch is one of my favorite features because it is something that all of us can benefit from whether or not you have an 02 or 08. The clutch now has less lever effort , and is 25-30% stronger then the older OE clutch. It is a totally different design but it will fit on you older V-Rod. I have some personal experience that on the 155hp stroker I tried to get away with running a CVO anodized basket clutch and I fried it within 50 miles. I have about 700 miles on one of these clutches of constant thrashing/hole shot/wheelies and whatever and it still feels like new. If I get a chance I will get some pictures of the internals for you guys later.

I am sure there are some other small things I am missing but that is the large things that jump out at me that most wouldn’t see by looking at the brochure beside new colors and other obvious cosmetic differences.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
amen brother...all the negativity about the new models just don't make sense to me. the upgrades they made are ALL excellent and exciting in my book, if they keep this up there won't be much to upgrade on the v-rod in the future :thumb:

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Great write up Ray! Thanks :thumb:
The VRSCD is the only model that comes with a 180 rear now, right?

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Great info..........from a man that has a dream job: testing VRods!

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
Before the '08s came out I was riding my DX wondering. I just don't see how they could improve this bike mechanically or appearance. I am very happy with mine, well except for the humming noise from the rear pulley at slow speed. Hey Ray what is making that humming noise?

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pondo said:
Great write up Ray! Thanks :thumb:
The VRSCD is the only model that comes with a 180 rear now, right?
Yes, I believe so and I am not positive but I think that European models only get 240 I don't think the 180 is offered. I will check

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drodder said:
Before the '08s came out I was riding my DX wondering. I just don't see how they could improve this bike mechanically or appearance. I am very happy with mine, well except for the humming noise from the rear pulley at slow speed. Hey Ray what is making that humming noise?

It is just your rubber compensator that is squeaking. There are ways to fix it or just live with it.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Ray,

How does the clutch differ from the AIM? Does it use a completely different basket? Plates? Actuator?

Do you hvae any idea what a retrofit would cost?

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Thanks for the info Ray.... Good stuff!!

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
drodder said:

I know VR MASTER made a post about this some time ago I think he recommended trimming the thing down a bit or just waiting for it to trim its self down. he hasn't made that many post so you should be able to go back through his posts and read what he wrote about it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thanks Ray your insight is always appreciated. I was really curious about the ABS, I still think it is the single best thing to come along for our bikes to date. So many of the little accidents we see could be avoided with people able to maintain control without spilling the bike.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BAD V-R said:
Ray,

How does the clutch differ from the AIM? Does it use a completely different basket? Plates? Actuator?

Do you hvae any idea what a retrofit would cost?
I have never owned an AIM clutch or had one apart but I believe I know the concept and I think it is totally different. The OE 08 clutch does not lock up with higher RPM. It just has different ramp angles then the 07, and instead of actuating straight out and in it operates in a twisting/screw motion. I tried to show in the pictures the ramps and plate stack up (which I think is the same). By the way for those who are wondering the new part number for this clutch is 36778-01KB which I think is the same as the old part number with the revision character of "B" at the end. I have NO idea how long it will take before you can get one from your local dealer. The second and third picture kind of show the two ramps that slide against each other.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts