Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is how far my bike can go this week before running out of fuel at 65 mph on a 4-lane busy highway at 5 pm. $%#!!!!!!!!!:bash::banghead:

broke my golden rule of filling up every 100 miles yesterday......sheesh I have filled up at 100 miles before and had over a gallon left (this is on 02 A) so I figured I could probably squeeze 130-140 miles out of a tank.....but I guess it just goes back to how you ride it....anywhere from 30 to 40 miles per gallon and apparently I have been excercising the throttle too much the last week. :D

Well, I feel like a dumbass and hopefully I won't get flamed too bad, but I am man enough to admit my mistakes.....I don't remember running out of gas since I was 16 and had a 55 chevy hot rod pickup with a non working fuel guage. :)

Luckily one of my buddies I work with was a mile behind me in his cager. He picked me up and we went to his house grabbed a lawnmower gas can, went back, put a splash in it and I went straight to the nearest station.

100 miles between fillups from now on!

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
It happens, It could of been a alot worse situation.

·
Chad
263 Posts
Yeah, fuel consumtion and My DX are baffling. filled up at 143 miles and it took 4.78 Gallons. Next fill-up (yesterday) 156 miles and it took 4.03. No change in driving habits (hard) or destinations.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
You now have been baptized as a V-Rod owner, and are now afforded all the rights and privileges of ownership.

As an added note: the first time I ran out of gas was coming from Ames, IA to Milwaukee in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I first bought my DX I had the gas guage stick on me and I ran out of gas twice...both times I was able to coast into a gas station luckily. After that I watch the trip and fill up at 150 miles max.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yeah, fuel consumtion and My DX are baffling. filled up at 143 miles and it took 4.78 Gallons. Next fill-up (yesterday) 156 miles and it took 4.03. No change in driving habits (hard) or destinations.
Most of the difference is the brew of the cocktail.Alcohol content plays the biggest part in the loss of mileage.The more alcohol in the mixture,the more content it takes.Even though alcohol has an average octane rating of 100,there are not as many BTU's available as in gasoline.There is about a 25% difference.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
This sounds like a real dumb-ass question, but...

Am I the only one who doesn't fill the tank near full due to concern about over spilling?? With the clunky handles on the gas pumps it's either all or nothing. Any secrets or tricks?

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
alestex
Pick the nozzle up and fill it by eye, or buy a tank buddy, an o ring type device designed to raise the filler nozzle to get a max fill up. I only fill to the max when I know I am going to run more than a few miles, that way I don't get over flow from heat expansion.

90-10 mixtures do seem to give less gas mileage, I try not to use it in my bike.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
and if you rock the bike from side to side after the pump clicks off, the level will drop down another inch or three

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
This sounds like a real dumb-ass question, but...

Am I the only one who doesn't fill the tank near full due to concern about over spilling?? With the clunky handles on the gas pumps it's either all or nothing. Any secrets or tricks?
I keep the nozzle running until there is no possibility of putting any more gas in the tank. Shake the bike a few times while topping it off to remove the air bubbles.

Only caution, don't let the bike sit in the hot sun afterward. Gas will expand and spew out your overflow tube.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Last Saturday I rode with the warning light on for 52 miles. When I filled up it only took 2.25 ga at 75mph @ 103 mi. I have a 3.8 tank, and have never have run out(come close) but I try to use the 100 mi ck point as well. But those warning lights make me nervous as hell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.