Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its baaaak. :notworthy
Just picked up the bike from the "crash shop' (I hate that term). Had a little insurance $$ left over, and since it'll be under the wife's radar, I ordered the switchblade pegs for the front, and the mini-boards for her, as well as the LCD oil temp dipstick and the slotted rear brake and shifter levers. Will be interesting to see how they go on with the engine guard there.
They even put the chrome visor on the headlight (that comes with the touring shield) that was missing when I bought the bike. I'll be taking a nice longish ride tonight. (The wrist is not giving me any trouble. )

Dan

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Welcome back and ride Safe!;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thats great Daniii, now do I need to be on the look out for you?:D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good luck and........

Great weather to you bro' Keep the rubber side down . BobT

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went for an nice evening ride. Great to be back in the saddle. The wrist is not as strong as I'd like, and the shift peg is rubbing the engine guard, but otherwise all is sweet.
A little tweak and the bike will be 100%. Wish the wrist was as easy. The physical therapy seems more urgent all of a sudden. So I will no longer be vicariously riding, but actually out there. Thanks for all the support. Mr_King, it won't be long now for you.
PS: I have all the scrapped parts - some engine guard parts promised to a guy in New Zealand. Anyone want a slightly (actually a lot) dented front wheel??

Dan

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL on the dented wheel. You could not have asked for a better day here Dan to get out and get a few miles in.

Max

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Daniii said:
Anyone want a slightly (actually a lot) dented front wheel??

Dan
Dan,
Hang it in your garage to ward off those pesky gremlins!:goof

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kinda like the bell under the bike, huh? Good idea though. I need to be reminded every now and then.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
:biker: :cheers: :plause

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Glad you are back in the saddle -- albeit a little limp wristed:D

Did your Panoptx survive?

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Glad to hear you got her back all pretty again. As you say, she will be a good incentive to exercise that wrist more in therapy. Carefull in the twisties.

You will enjoy the switchblades. I still like mine and recommend them highly. However, I have had a problem with both pegs. They have stuck in the closed position, and you have to disassemble them to get them to open again.

It seems to be caused by slight scoring on the part of the stirrip that a small ball bearing rolls over between the two indentations that the little ball fits into that lock it open or closed.

There is an small adjustment screw on the front of the peg that adjusts a small spring that presses into the ball bearing and tightens the stirrip locking action. (If the screw is too loose the stirrip swings loose). I may have tightened the screw too much and that caused the score and the hangup. Another cause may be that the stirrip strikes the ground in turns and torques upwards separate from the peg itself (the bolt with the ball end under the stirrip that you use to open them also protects the stirrip by striking the asphalt first (I put locktight on the bolts when one came loose after scraping it).

Whatever the cause, if they stick in the closed position, simply loosening the adjustment screw does no good. Only taking them apart and re-assembling the peg works to correct it. I have used graphite lubricant on the pivot area and it smoothed the action. I hope it cures the hang problem. If not I will call Kuryakyn about it. This could be the "problem" that the a forum member said a Kuryakyn rep mentioned at Sturgis. They may have improved them by the time yours were made. Good idea to carry both the alan wrenchs for the stirrip pivot bolt and the adjustment screw on long trips, just in case.

Fred

PS: Good Idea not to get wash water on the dipstick when its warm. If its like the dial temperature gauge I had, it could suck up water and condense it inside the window. Returned it as faulty, and got the chrome dipstick.

PSS: Don't let this heads-up spoil the fun of your newest bike parts. My experiences probably won't be yours.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
V-Fred, thanks for the great input. I'll look over the switchblades carefully.
I was wondering if you have the headlight "brow" with your touring shield. Mine didn't have it when I bought the bike, but the replacement shield kit apparently did. I think it helps with some of the wind coming under the middle of the shield, but its too early to tell. I lost my helmet visor in the crash, and haven't replaced it yet. Before, I thought it was needed to keep my glasses from bobbling in the wind. No problem last night, though. I do like the way the headlight visor looks.
I have had a set of the passenger footpeg extenders hanging around, and put them on last night with mixed feelings. As you commented earlier, they do stick out a bit, and the double fold action is a bit disconcerting. With the mini-floorboards, which are on order and should be in before the weekend, it may be a bit too much (as you indicated).
I now have an extra backrest pad, so I will be performing surgery on the old one in an attempt to get another inch of passenger room (assuming Jenny will want to get on again!).
BTW, while I was at the dealer putting the bike on the trailer to take it home, I was chatting with a prospective V-Rod buyer. He was probably 23 or so. When I first saw him inside the store (they only have 2 left on the floor) he was concerned about the stock seat. When I saw him again outside, he said my bike was put together just as he wanted, with bags, sundowner and shield. Nice to get some positive visual feedback on my pseudo-bagger.

Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome back daniii, you now know how I feel when I got back from Iraq. Riding that V-Rod brings such a great sense of freedom doesn't it my friend! :)

Travis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts