Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my V-Rod for its looks and performence but I feel like I've been beat up badly after a full day of riding.

Maybe it's my age but I'm in decent shape and not overweight. My ears suffer the most and even with ear pads on my 1/2 carbon fiber helmet, I still have trouble hearing hours after the ride and my head feels like it wants to explode. Before you say it, full face helmets don't work well with a CFR pipe and are to hot in the summer for my taste.

Plus no place to store a jacket, etc unless you strap a bag to the seat, which takes away from the bikes beauty.

The more I look at Street Glides, the more I want one. Problem being that my '02 V-Rod, even with all the extras, is not worth nothing in todays economy and with the Street Glides selling in the $20,000 area around here, all I can do is dream.

I need some intervention here................

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Ear plugs, aftermarket seat, Bikers' Friend bag... :) and if that fails, find a way to get a bike that puts a smile on your face. Ride what you want to ride.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
Get some ear plugs or noise reducing in-ear ear phones. With ear phones I can ride all day with a FF and I have a CFR. Of course sometimes my ears ring a little after a ride but that's usually because Rage Against the Machine came on my Ipod and I was too lazy to turn it down.....

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Ear plugs, aftermarket seat, Bikers' Friend bag... :) and if that fails, find a way to get a bike that puts a smile on your face. Ride what you want to ride.
:them: :them:

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
You could put different pipes on... What is the point in getting loud pipes that make you suffer ;)

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
I too know how you feel, especially when the wife wants to come riding and Im staring at my CFR seat do you really wanna sit on that. Whatever you dont spend thousands trying to turn your V into a comfy cruiser cause you will just loose more $$. The only way you would be really happy is to keep the vrod and purchase a nice big cruiser..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sympathize. I came from a Heritage Softail. But that motor hooked me. I've been making riding/pipe adjustments, and adapting to the bike. It is different, but the experience is absolutely awsome! Re-think IMHO.
Doc

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i have to agree i think a good set of ear plugs are just what you need...

full face helmets don't work well with a CFR pipe

this part i have to disagree with ...nightmare has the cfr and wears a full face wtih ear plugs...hell i dont even have super loud pipes.. and i wear them i just prefer to get off the bike and not have to say "huh?" after ppl talk to me LOL

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
My modified 05 Sportster was very loud to me while others thought it was perfect. I wore a full face with ear plugs and it was still very loud.
My 06 VRSCR is totally stock. I don't have to wear ear plugs any more with my full face and I don't feel beat to death with ears ringing after a long ride anymore either.
Maybe you could temporarily go back to stock intake/exhaust to see if that works better for you.

06 VRSCR

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! come on dont forget that motto! I agree a really good set of ear plugs should do the trick though. Dont be a fool keep the VRod.

·
Registered
922 Posts
:them: Look for the disposable foam ear plugs that reduce sound by 28-32 decibels. Any gun shop, drug store, walmart should have them. Wind blast is another source of fatigue on a long ride. What about trying a small windshield like a "Windvest" or the small "Rifle" shield? Harley sells a cordura tail bag (made by SAC) that sits on the rack and its big enough to hold a full face helmet or a leather jacket and it removes in about 1 minute.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've used I think every type of ear plug out there (molded, soft, pressure relieving, etc)....None really have helped the situation 100%....I do have a Bikers Friend bag which is great but it's not something to keep on all the time....I'm going to really check my financial situation to see if I can swing getting a second bike...That pension check doesn't go as far as a regular pay check, may have to suck it up and get another full time job to pay for the toys....I know, cry me a river.....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
When we go on long rides not only am I tired so are my buddies on their road kings, ultra classics and soft tails. I think it is the long motorcycle ride and not a long VROD ride. I hate half helmets for the reason you mentioned. Hours of loud wind noise will drive anyone crazy. I go with the jett II 3/4 helmet from Harley. The streetglide is a great bike by the way.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
mustanggt said:
I've used I think every type of ear plug out there (molded, soft, pressure relieving, etc)....None really have helped the situation 100%....
if the pipe is that loud (which i know the CFR is) then change it...are people really that vain that you would damage your hearing and lose the fun factor for some "look at me" cool points?

you will feel much better after a long day of riding if your head doesn't hurt from the loud exhaust/wind noise :2cents:

i run the SE slip on's, wear ear plugs in my full face, and routinely go out for 12+ hour rides without issue. best of all, i suspect my hearing will still be good in 30 years :cheers:

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if the pipe is that loud (which i know the CFR is) then change it...are people really that vain that you would damage your hearing and lose the fun factor for some "look at me" cool points?

I did get a lot of those points on yesterdays ride.....:hidesbeh:

Your right though....That's why it should be "in the book" that we all have a V-Rod and a touring bike....

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
mustanggt said:
I love my V-Rod for its looks and performence but I feel like I've been beat up badly after a full day of riding.

Maybe it's my age but I'm in decent shape and not overweight.

Mmmm.... I carry around a few extra pounds and feel fine after riding.

Maybe you just need to eat more! :stilpoke:

Seriously though... change seats... makes a HUGE difference. Sell the CFR. Go back to stock. These bikes are not loud, and I really don't think loud makes friends IMHO.
And if loud bugs you, I REALLY don't get it then. Cars aren't hearing you anyways unless they are right on top of you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts