Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I just dropped my deposit on an Annodized 2003 VRSCA on Friday! :cheers: After months of posting questions and scouring the forums on V-Rods, I finally found a deal far too sweet to pass up! VRSCA, 2003 Annodized aluminum, 4 year warranty....are you ready for this??? $15,800!!! :deal: :sinister: With Michigan tax/title/plates, it comes out to $16,761. They have a few more left and the dealer is Shiawassee Harley in New Lothrop Michigan. Man, what a great deal compared to the many in state (Michigan) and out of state dealers...even down south. The salesman, Jim, is down to earth and actually takes the time to answer questions, unlike many shops in my area. Many of the dealers I whent to seemed uninterested in my business unless I was looking for a decked out $27,000 Harley and others were just flat out pricks! :hiding: They are a smaller dealer out in the boon docks and only a 25 minute ride from home, which is even cooler! Another dealer, Cummings Harley, was also very cool to deal with but they could not come near the deal I got. They want $17,040 out the door for the same bike with a one year warranty.

Thanks to many of the guys here for your help in answering questions here and on the other forums. I like this one best as it is fast and has some cool features.

Now, the search for my exhaust is on. I am thinking of the DRKS pipes and have been emailing them about the technical stuff such as PCIIIr or Stage 2 for their pipes. Also, I am thinking of the Vance and Hines Powershots as they have the removable baffles and I also have yet to rule out the SE 16 ga Shotguns with or without having them v-modded.

This bike will be my daily rider and "romantic cruiser" with the wife, as well as my bar hopper. What do you suggest for pipes and why?

Thanks again!
Gary
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal! New Lothrop, huh? Didn't know it had a dealership. A buddy of mine is from there, parents are still there. Sounds like a bike run for him and me in the spring.

Hope that you love your new ride, I'm sure that you will!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Congrats Gary it sounds like one sweet deal.

Max

The pipes are a matter of choice, there are now so many options available. Keep in mind with the 4 year warranty that you want to check with the dealer you plan on doing service to make sure they approve your choice as to not void the deal.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:deal: GREAT DEAL! :kaz:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I was actually complemented on the sound of my SE 16ga pipes by a guy on a Road King after our ride yesterday. And I am running the factory flash / full warranty. JMHO.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Nothing like a brand new piece of equiptment.Got mine for 15,9000.Check the exhaust out pretty good before you decide.It can get expensive being hasty.Trust me.Great luck and ride safe.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

The Shiawassee dealer is a pretty small showroom but not one person in there had the usual attitude I was beggining to think all dealers had. One of the guys in there rode their demo rod to some conference last summer that was a couple hundred miles away and he is at least 6'4" tall and lanky guy. He said it rode really great and was really comfortable. This was after the paperwork was all set and they had my $$$, and not to mention that I had no interest in buying any of the other models, although I am a fan of most HD models as well. It's just the V-Rod is the bike I been waiting for Harley to make.

It's funny though because I absolutely hated the looks of it the first year it was out. You know, I had the usual grumble-grumble...it's water cooled....grumble-grumble...it's not a traditional Harley...ect. All it took to change my mind was actually sitting on one in person. For my 5'10" 225 lb frame, man it felt like it was custom fit! Then, I bought any magazine that had tech articles on it. All of a sudden one day, I realized I wasn;t even curious about anyother bike and it just grew from there. It is the most original looking bike by any manufacturer in my opinion and has just what I want in a bike. Handling, speed, comfortable cruising with the ol' lady (occaisionally)....basically a vacation on two wheels.

My old bike which I sold last November, was a 98 XLH Sportster and I loved that bike...when I was single, but now I am married :ithappen: and it was just too small for enjoyable two-up riding. It was a fast little bugger, and I'm sure I'll miss it...untill the summer hits and I'm roaring around town on my V-Rod! :kaz:

One of the things I like about the DRKS pipes is that George Chowanec has answered my emails to him in a prompt manner :thumb: and they are reasonably priced :plause: . The .wav file he emailed me sounds like they are some sweet singing pipes and with the availability of the chrome muffler bracket, they would look pretty darn cool. I am teetering on them or the HD-16 ga (likely v-modded), or the Vance and Hines Powershots with the baffle removed. The dyno sheets I have seen all look similar with these ranging from 107hp to 110 hp, which for an everyday rider, and stepping up off a Sportster, is plenty to keep a shit-eatin' grin on my face! :thumb: The price is at $295, which is very fair for the slip-ons.

I put a couple pics of them, a dyno thing, and the .wav I mentioned in the attatchments. Anyone have a good one of the Powershots? I am having trouble finding them (decent ones anyways).

I looked for the Turbo-Tec website and cannot find it on Google. Does anyone have them? What do they sell for aon average? Any .wav files? Those are sharp looking too. Maybe for my next set when I can afford all the stuff at once such as the Race Tuner. The PCIIIr customers sound happy so I may go that route...they are pretty cheap priced on eBay too.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Okay, I babbled enough for now! thanks again to you all for the advice! It's so cool to be able to get "real world" advice from such cross section of V-Rodders and that makes us all less susceptible to the opinions of salesman...which seem to think that the Screaming Eagle line is the only non-stock components maker for Harley. They make good stuff, just there is a whole other world full of parts with the more realistc aftermarket.

Later,
Gary

PS

Here's the dealer I found the deal at: http://www.shiawasseeharley-davidson.com/ in case anyone is interested. I believe they have a few left, and they are still in their shipping crates! I whent through Jim and he hooked me up good!!! They have some custom painted rods too...by a local guy.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Congradulations! :thumb: It's Good to see you so Fired up whats next for your Baby? ;)

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kaz,

For starters:
Sundowner passenger pad with the luggage rack backrest
Turn signal relo probably from the V-Mod guy.

I am going to custom paint it as well. I do airbrushing as a hobby and beer money and am wanting to do sometype of mural relating to one of my all time favorite movies, EasyRiders. I am thinking facial portraits of Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and Jack Nicholson (with that football helmet on! LOL) in some variation and also the sode view of the Billy Bike when Hopper is flipping the bird to the guys that end up shooting him minutes later. The Billy Bike is my all time favorite Custom bike. Clean, simple, and VERY tuff looking! When it comes to choppers, I tend to like the ol' skool styles a little better, such as the Billy Bike. Captain America bike is cool too, gotta love that ol' skinny tire! (I like the fatty's on the newer guys stuff).

Some other idea's in the works is putting The Thing (Ben Grimm from the Fantastic Four) breaking through the airbox cover. I like that character a lot. Also thought of doing an X-Men type theme or an Angels vs Demons battle seen, or maybe a Viking styled pin-up chick with some raging Viking Warriors.

I am not certain yet completely what I will paint, as of yet. It will come to me in a bit. Sometimes I can't even sleep because I have so many ideas floating in the grey matter contents of my skull!!

Money is also a factor which is why I am just getting the basics to begin with. I met a dude at my work that is building custom choppers on the side and may trade some paint for some custom parts here and there. As with my last bike, my V-Rod will be a rolling work in proggress. I'll paste up some pics when I get it all painted up, which I cannot do untill Spring because of the cold here in Michigan.

Later,
Gary

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
:vrodforu:
It's nice to hear someone excited again about getting a v-rod.I finally took the cover off today to take a look and to do some playing with it.Getting ready to rip the exhaust off again,for the new system coming. :cheers:

Congrats on your deal.You will enjoy.Just make sure your wife knows that she is going to become 2nd to the bike now. :sad: The mods will never stop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
con -grats on the deal!!!!! like Max and others have said, check with the "Dealers" first don't throw the ex 4 yrs out the window. have a good one here,but had to spend some time getting to know the Techs and them me......they all know and understand now how anal I am ABOUT MY BIKE!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
As others have said...congrats on the new bike, and the great deal!! You won't regret the purchase!!!! Be sure to check out the "group buys" area of the Forum! There are a couple of purchases going on right now that you may be interested in! Enjoy the ride!

:welcome:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info and the welcomes everyone!

My salesman said that even the Screaming Eagle stuff that is rated for "Off Road Use Only" can sometimes void the warranty as well. I'd be really REALLY bent if I got the H-D brand stuff, only to void the warranty. To start, I may go with the 16 ga over and unders with the download. I really like the looks and sound of the DRKS, but am not sure I want to take a risk. The price is right on them and I like that the makers are accessible for questions, just not certain on the setup. I would go the PCIIIr setup with them and the map on their site as well, but I am petrified of running lean. As of now, I will keep the top on with the K&N filter, but may modify the lid after I learn more. I am totally a green horn with the fuel injected/computer stuff and it really seems all Greek to me at the moment. Are thier any good books out their or online articles that explain the fuel management stuff better regarding the PCIIIr? Does it come with a "usable" manual that would help me? Also, do I still need any download in conjuntion with the PCIIIr?

Thanks guys. The info you all share whent a LONG way in my decision of getting the V-Rod. I can only guess I am not alone in this, and too bad the Mo Co couldn't recognize this place in some fashion for this.

Also, anyone heard more about tghe Thunderheaders for the V-Rod? I am gonna ride it stock untill I hear more about them. The bikes I have seen/heard with them sounded KILLER and I have yet to hear anything bad about them on the traditional Harleys. Hope they do just as well for the V-Rod too.

Later and THANKS again to you all! Couple more weeks and us Michiganders will be getting our knees in the breeze regularly once again!

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts