Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68876

Thanks RJ for letting me know what the two wires were! RECAP: the Blue & the Vivid Yellow wires need to be spliced together.

Found a much easier way to do it than screwing with the 6-pin connector behind the left cover.

Tools needed:

Electrical Tape - Gardner Bender Tap Splices 22-18 AWG, item #21-2218 (red) - Plyers - Small Sizzers - Metric Hex set

Modification:

Disassemble the lefthand switch cover.

Use the sizzors to slice a small length of the black shrink tubing from the wire set.

Locate the Blue & Vivid Yellow wires. Tap Splice those wires using the plyers to make sure the splice takes hold.

Wrap the set back up with the electrical tape.

WARNING: DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE HEADLIGHT OR YOU WILL GO BLIND!!! :cool:

· Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
louballs said:
interesting, though what do you need to do this for?? just for safety?
Damn skippy!!!

· Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
My brother told me he read somewhere that brighter lights don't make it safer for motorcycles. The article stated that if the lights are too bright that they hurt the driver's eyes then they avoid looking in their rearview to see where the biker might be on the road. Seems logical, though i dont know if id go with it.....thoughts?

· Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
louballs said:
My brother told me he read somewhere that brighter lights don't make it safer for motorcycles. The article stated that if the lights are too bright that they hurt the driver's eyes then they avoid looking in their rearview to see where the biker might be on the road. Seems logical, though i dont know if id go with it.....thoughts?
At least the driver knows you're there which is 99% of this game. Especially when it comes to the dreded left turn at intersection situations!

· Unknowingly absent
914 Posts
While driving my cage, i'm not a fan of oncoming cars/bikes with their brights on; hurts my eyes. There was an article a few months back about how someone with their brights on (car though) really upset another driver and it turned into a big road-rage type thing with the cars actually colliding. This was during the daytime too. I'd rather not tick someone off enough to actually try to hit me. On the other hand, its really nice to be seen!

· HD n00bie
72 Posts
I think you guys are mistaken....If i read this correct, this is only when you have your brights on, no? So when your in low beam, just a single light will be on, and when your in high beam both lights will be on.

This shouldnt make any difference to drivers having the low beam on with the high beam, its will be just as blinding.

· Friend of Max.
21,714 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Guillatine type connectors. They tend to put a weak spot in the wires. I perfer to use the conncetors for splice points.

· Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Low beam is the same...when you switch to "Brights" BOTH headlight bulbs illuminate. As for pissing people off...oh well...at least they see me and that's all I care about. As for the guillatine type connector...going on a year now with zero problems so it works fine.

· Unknowingly absent
914 Posts
No question they will see you. The question is, will they be ticked off enough to swerve AT you or too blinded to see the road and accidently swerve your way?

I love being seen though...

Does this work on a D model as well? There's only 1 bulb...

· Unknowingly absent
914 Posts
Thats what i'm thinking as well. More light at night is a GREAT thing!

Can I do this with my 06 D model without problems?

· "F the F"
1,031 Posts
I have ready many posts in regards to headlights and riding with highbeams on constantly and running both Low and Highs together.

I prefer to run my highbeams in the day when I see it necessary. When I am in the city and/or near the city and traffic. When out on the highway go with the lows.

For those of you that run both lows and highs together or highs all the time. What do you do when riding at night with other riders? Blind them?

I had an expierence in 2003 when another rider turned on their Highbeams when entering a highway, you know the big Jughandle on ramps. I was [email protected]#$ing blinded while in the corner and nearly dumped it. I was so pissed off I pulled over to tell them off.

So I see the safety aspects, but on the other hand I like to keep the option of when to use them.

· Registered
145 Posts
Not bright enough WTF?

Out here in NV, when I go on night rides I'm CONSTANTLY assaulted by a$$wholes that flip their brights on me when I'm riding with my LOW BEAMS on, I've seen a few drivers swerve when I flip my highs back at them. I've taken now to riding on the highs till the oncoming cars get a DAMN good dose of the highbeams before switching to lows. I can only imagine what wonderful names I'm being called the way it is with the STOCK light on high, I'd almost be afraid of causing retna damage to oncoming drivers with this mod.
And YES its the PURELY stock bulb, adjusted correctly (dead nuts in front, low beam CORRECTLY adjusted for double rider weight) so more than likely LOW for a single rider. I do keep it polished to keep the plexi haze down though.
I HATED the original stock light housing, but after riding with a few friends and noticing how weak their lights were in comparison, I learned to like it, because no other bucket puts out like this one does.

· Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use this mod...the Low/High both lit at the same time...mainly during the day and especially during street riding vs. highway riding. As for name calling...sticks and stones...

Night riding I use the beams the usual way but it REALLY lights up the world in front of you when you are using the High beam which I really like.

When I'm riding with other riders, unless you're the lead, there's no need to run bright because groups are better seen than a single rider.

This mod only works for the two bulb setup.

· K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
seen lots of questions about this mod so figured I'd bring it back up.

· JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I ALWAYS ride with brights on during the day....and suggest ALL of you do the same! :deal:

I'm one of those that can't see well with oncoming brights- makes me have to look off or away- which makes the vehicle coming at you dangerous- I wear sunglasses all the time too. I'm not the only one on the road that experiences this, minority I'm sure but, there are plenty of us on any given day driving.

I have to argue from my stand point that brights coming at you at any time is not good.

· Gone
9,301 Posts
Man bunch of scientists here. I suggest using the brights when it's appropriate. If it's daytime, but not very bright outside the lows should be sufficient, at night obviously the lows are sufficient in traffic. In Texas, in the spring and summer it's so bright out that you can feel cataracks forming in minutes if you don't wear sunglasses so running brights on those days makes sense. If you're riding with a fairly tight group, then let the front rider run his brights and keep yours on lows. If you're bothering people that are driving the same direction and are in front of you, then who cares, they're in front of you and aren't the danger. The people making turns are the biggest danger. As far as not running brights because you fear violence..... I suggest a new neighborhood. :hidesbeh: Make sure your headlights are adjusted properly too, if you lowered the rear of the bike and not the front then they are not adjusted properly I promise you.

I run my brights in the day time and people still try to pull out in front of me. You could be riding a Mardi Gras Float and people will do it, they're stupid and lights cant fix that. I'm off the gas and hand/foot on the brakes on city streets everytime I see someone pull up on a side street, many never stop at all coming out of parking lots. I'm going to pile drive one of these assholes eventually in my truck, I'm getting tired of it, it's almost a daily occurence. Some dimwitted douche bag who gets a running start from his Suck-Mart parking spot and runs right out into the street and across three lanes of traffic. I have a very solid brushguard in front of 3 tons of Ford truck with their name on it. Hopefully never on my bike though.

· MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
silly question, but does this cause a heat issue?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.