·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need 3 good reasons to buy an older low mileage bike,( pre 2008 ),
before slipper clutch, ABS, larger tank,1250cc was added, or newer
one with all of the above just mentioned. Need 3 good reasons to
not buy an older one. Any input on 2002-2003 bikes (bugs that got
worked out later on), that a person might like to know about?
1130cc has plenty of power for me, plus probably gets better gas
mileage too.

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
:them: I just bought a 2002 from another forum member in August and have been riding as much as I can. It needs a little tlc here and there but it's still a V-Rod. For what I have in it, I can afford to put a little into it to get it to where it needs to be. I think this is a great way to get into an awesome bike that gets noticed - at gas pumps, bike nights, stop lights... You get the idea...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i bought a 02 when they were first released and now have a 08 model. everyone who cares, tells me the 02 was a better looking bike cause it had that silver ghost look.i miiss her a lot.thats not to say i dont like my 08 as much.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
I think it depends on your priorities. I ride a lot of long distances here in the west, so the larger gas tank for me is a priority. I also have not had the well documented problems with earlier models with my '09. New models will obviously have better resale prices, so also depends on your checkbook.

That all being said, the worst model or year of VROD is still a great choice!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The 07 X I have is faster,has a cool custom factory paint job,is the only model in 07 w a factory 1250,is a limited numbered edition,stops on a dime w the Brembos,has a 5.3 gallon tank that I could care less about,and on and on.......................................,but,I wouldn't get rid of my 03 for the world!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
The newer ones are not a real Harley! :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
buy a cheaper one...and even after you do everything you want (UNLESS TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER) you are still less money than a new one....and a 240 looks better in a 06 down fender anyway!!

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
buy a cheaper one...and even after you do everything you want (UNLESS TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER) you are still less money than a new one....and a 240 looks better in a 06 down fender anyway!!
I always thought the '07-up fenders looked a little 'tarded :hidesbeh:

I have a later '02 model (mfg date April 2002) and it seems to have avoided a lot the problems the earlier models had. No issues with the fuel flange, no leaks around the stator wire, no rear brake light switch failure, etc. And my gas gauge works :thumb:

I bought an early model for two reasons: I couldn't swing the payment on a new VRod, and I really wanted one with the coveted (or hated, depending on who you talk to) anodized tins.

If you're like me, and you spend less money on the bike, you can spend more on the mods. And the mods are what truly make it your own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2007 aw. My reasons for buy the 07 were just a few. 1st, the wider 240 rear tire. I think that is pretty cool. 2nd, I didn't like the spoke front wheel they brought out in 08 to present. I much prefer the slotted disks front and rear. Also with the wheels, the vrsca models had solid disks front and rear. I also read that the bike would catch a lot of wind with those wheels, So I chose 2007 for having the slots. Which helps some, but not huge amounts. 3rd, with the wider swing arm came the larger gas tank. A big plus for me as I do like to do some distance riding. They also moved the ignition switch from just below your right butt cheek to the front of the bike (same side) From reading the forums, that was a big pet peeve to many people who owned the older models.

I am pretty sure I have my facts straight here. These were just a few of the reasons why I chose to buy a used 2007 AW over any other year.

Also I live in Ontario Canada. I bought my bike in the states from Texas actually. It was like brand new. It had 960 miles on it and about $1000 in extras. I saved huge money. I had the bike delivered to my door for $13,600 Canadian. That price included my RIV fee, exchange rate, taxes shipping and DOT inspection. That same bike up here was selling from $14-17k plus taxes to buy privately. Dealers if they had any wanted 17,500. New non-current 09's were selling for 19K + taxes.

Look around and do your home work. Most of all decide which model of bike you really like and start your search. I wanted a completely stock bike. No exhaust changes or tampering with the engine etc. I had a windshield foot pegs seat etc come with mine.

There are plenty of deals out there. When you find one though you need to be ready to pounce!

Good luck

Harley Kid
Innisfil Ontario Canada

1 - 11 of 11 Posts