1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Back then, I was starting on the Bat Rod Quest, and so was RJ. I don't think he finished his. I sure like mine.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I put mine on hold. I want to incorporate a radio and speakers in a quick detachable setup, but I got distracted by something shiney.

I got it to fit, but there was a wind wobble at 70mph that is quite un nerving.

I think it would go away, if I could mount it lower and tilt it back further, but the project, like many others, found a place on the back burner.

I trip over it every now and then, and think about ressurecting the project. Maybe this off season, but probably not until next spring.

RJ

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

rjrivero said:
...there was a wind wobble at 70mph that is quite un nerving....
This machine is just plagued by wind wobble!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have to say that passing semi's at 100 mph with my Bat-device, I get no wind wobble. I attribute that to the stability created by my solid front wheel, of course.:deal:

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daniii said:
I have to say that passing semi's at 100 mph with my Bat-device, I get no wind wobble. I attribute that to the stability created by my solid front wheel, of course.:deal:
:laugh:
I love this place!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Daniii,

I have an 05 with the HD Touring shield and have two questions. Firstly, when riding with my friends at, ahem, touring speeds of 80+ the wind forces my stubby legs apart (30" inseam)...very tiring. The only current solution is to rest my heels on the pegs. Secondly, the solution to the first problem causes increased head buffeting from the wind coming under the shield and hitting my legs. I currently have 20K on my "A" and am considering selling because I can't comfortably tour. I've read many of your posts and it appears that your inclination is to touring and comfort. Help!!!!

Mike in GA

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Memphis Shade Lowers will help a lot with the turbulence. (The Bat wing also helps, but doesn't completely solve the problem). The leg problem will happen with any bike with forward controls. My engine Guard chaps help a lot, but don't solve it (neither will any other bike with forward controls, I suspect.) I have even looked at getting lower fairings ,and and still might. Short term, if solo, move the rear pegs as far forward as you can (Kuryakyn has stuff), and put the tootsies back there - problem solved (until your feet go to sleep).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Daniii! I have some ideas to ponder, I ride my VStrom now for long rides and the VRod for shorter ones. I just love the looks of the VRod and that great engine...on the other hand the VStrom, to me, is bugly but very functional in the hills of North Georgia, SE TN & SW NC. Once again, thank you for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Update: I finally found the setting for the AirHawk "inflato" seat cushion. We did 8 hours today and my rear was never asleep. Trick is to put it forward in the Sundowner, so it doesn't ride up the back at all.
I discussed the leg issue with my riding buds (V-Rod, FatBoy and Road Glide). All say its a matter of getting the leg muscles conditioned. So its the cruiser style, not the bike.
Sturgis tomorrow....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Engine Guard and Chaps

Danii, is the engine guard the OEM and where did you get the chaps. I'm with you bagger dudes...love the bike but also love the comfort. Thansk.

Mike in GA

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Engine Guard is factory. Engine Guard Chaps are from this guy: [email protected]
I had then custom made (no charge) to clear the highway pegs. I think they were under $50.
And did 4000 miles on the Sturgis run. No butt ache, so the Airhawk is working!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you!

Does the engine guard chaps stop some of the lower wind from running up your leg and create head buffeting? Sorry, promise it's the last question. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
It reduces head buffeting only slightly. Mostly, it stops pant creep-up and pant flapping. Lowers below the windshield eliminate helmet buffeting, as does my KenDay fairing. I've tried both. It is also way too hot when the temperature is above 75F.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Daniii and i have gone 2 different roads with the same result.

i love my bagger vesion and have no wind issues. although i dont cruise at the speeds Danii does i have freequently had mine above 100 mph and no issues. plus passing trucks on the interstate are a breeze. i also have the same chaps thanks to Daniii and jeff. and yes they are extremely uncomfortable above 70 deg but nice and warm on those early spring and fall rides in the northeast.

·
Joseppi
24 Posts
Guys -

I had a heck of a time riding back from the KC Rally, lots of crosswinds plus trucks on the Interstate seemed like they had little tornadoes riding along with them! I have a 2006 Night Rod - I checked out Memphis Shade and they had lowers for the 2006-A model. Any suggestions on the rightvendor for the Night Rod? Wind blast is killin' me!

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Daniii said:
OMG!:rofl2: :rofl: :notworth:

Dannii you are my hero! Now get your ass to KY so we can ride some again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Email Change

Daniii, thanks for mentioning Classic Chaps. I wanted to let you know that my email has changed to [email protected] . Thanks again and ride on, Jeff

Daniii said:
Engine Guard is factory. Engine Guard Chaps are from this guy: [email protected]
I had then custom made (no charge) to clear the highway pegs. I think they were under $50.
And did 4000 miles on the Sturgis run. No butt ache, so the Airhawk is working!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts