Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't funny yesterday when I rode 120 miles to Vermont, but I'm kind of chuckling today. Went to visit a friend for lunch, pulled into his gravel driveway, hit the kill switch and then put down the kick stand, paying extra attention to make sure it was firmly planted so the bike wouldn't fall over. Got off, hopped into my friend's car and we went to lunch. Returned two hours later and was horrified to notice that the key was still in the ignition and the switch was "on."

Yes, the battery was quite dead. After trying unsuccessfully to get it rolling fast enough to pop the clutch, I gave up and called a local ATV dealer to see if someone could come jump it. You know where I'm heading with this, right?

Yes, I unlocked the seat, removed the air box cover, got the bike jumped, put the air box cover back in place and was confronted with the problem of how to lock the seat without turning off the ignition? Well, I turned off the igntion, locked the seat, and tried to start it again but no juice. So, we jumped it again and left it running for 15 minutes or so. I then rode it with the seat unlocked a mile or so to a gas station to fill up, with the kid who jumped it standing by just in case. Once filled, it did start without a problem.

I asked the kid how much I owed him and he just shrugged as if to say he was glad to help a stranded "tourist." I happily slipped him $20, which I hope was sufficient, and headed home where I immediately plugged in the Battery Tender.

Yes, I'm a horse's ass. But I bet I'm not alone...

·
Registered
140 Posts
NEVER had that happen to me... :hidesbeh:

btw.... welcome to the club

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Been there and done that... After the bike set overnight it started the next day.. Thankfully I was at my home when it happened.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I have not done that one yet, but my very long list of stupid mistakes more than makes up for it... :D

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
Don't know what you mean about locking the seat? My seat locks automatically on my 03A.

But I did a similar thing when I first got mine. Went to the gym an left it on with the key in the ignition. Had my nephew come jump it. I had closed the seat after taking the airbox cover off and had to turn it off to open the seat and jump it again. That was before I knew that you can reach in with your hand and open the seat without the key.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got ya beat...

I get off my bike shortly after getting it, going into a dr office. I go to lock the forks, no problem, go to lock the ignition won't lock...huh. In a hurry I immediately figure something is messed up w/ ignition and or key.

Come back two hours later and find out that you can't lock your ignition when it's on. :banghead:

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Wilkie said:
Yes, I'm a horse's ass. But I bet I'm not alone...
No, you are not alone.........I have done many many stupid things along the same lines over the years:hidesbeh:

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
I quit counting the stupid things I have done.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
I did something similar when I first got my bike. I was going up and down my driveway getting use to the bike. (it's a very long driveway). My neighbor was walking up his and stopped to check out the bike so I killed it to gab with him. We talked for at least an hour before he went home and since I was fairly close to the end of the drive I thought I might pick up the mail. When I got back to the bike I went to hit the run switch and oh crap, it was already on! Yep, you got it, no clicky clicky. I had to push this beast on an uphill that was around two football fields long. I picked up a Battery Tender, hooked it up and was good to go the next morning. I leave it tethered to the the tender when I'm not on it and haven't had a dead battery problem since then.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whew.... I thought you were going to say your stand had settled in and the bike tipped over.
I've never used the kill switch. When I got my ATV last year, my first, the salesman said to always use the ignition to turn it off or I will forget someday and leave the key turned on. Of course I have turned the ignition too far on my DX and left it on accessory for a few hours :goof: I remember the shop saying that on accessory it will draw a little juice, but it wasn't enough to prevent me from starting it..... luckily.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
yeah? well this is worse. I was backing out at work while talking to my co-workers when I lost my balance and dropped it over. No damage 'cause I caught it on the way down...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
yeah? well this is worse. I was backing out at work while talking to my co-workers when I lost my balance and dropped it over. No damage 'cause I caught it on the way down...
I saw the "tip" come on the display before. OK, I admit it :spank:
I had just gotten the bike and not having ridden in 6-7 years, I took it up to a tar and chip parking lot to play with my slow speed maneuvering. I didn't think I was going slow enough for the bike to stall, but stall it did as I was turning to the left. Tip.
Now get this..... the left footpeg caught it! I got off and looked and the only thing making contact with the ground was the steel on the bottom of the peg! Unbelievable. That incident really made changing out the stock pegs a tough one. I can't believe that was by design.... but who knows...

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Been there done that as well...

Going into a bar, I left the bike parked on a very crowded street with the key & ignition on for a few hours... When I came outa there, pretty hammered mind you (driving it back home was out of question), I went to check on the bike only to find a note on the bike : "You left your key on. You may claim it at the bar accross the street". So i went in to claim my key I just had to have another one to get over how stoopid i can be sometimes...

BTW... me thinks it's better to jump from the ground under the bike's frame (neg) and on start relay next to the fan on left side. Jumping a small battery straight from the poles can easily damage it... :2cents:

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
You're no different than any other ass on this board, a horse, a cow, whatever. Never left my key on though, it's just second nature to get the key outta it.

Jeff

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
yep, been there done that...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
never done it on the vrod thankfully but have done it in the past!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It wont happen on the new V-Rods, but some of you old school V-Rodders, remember dropping your keys between the exhaust pipes? How many of you have a melted spot on your key fob? GUILTY!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts