Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was raving about our trip Monday night, I forgot that I'd had one "problem." The DH said that, now and then on a hard acceleration, a cloud of black smoke would come out of the pipes. I know it's running rich because the 020 map is for going topless, which I don't, but the black smoke is a new one -- could it be the Canadian 94 octane gas or some new adventure created by the 10k service?

I'm still not thrilled at the idea of having my local dealer do the dyno tuning with the PCIIIr, so I'll be calling around (again).

Any insights would be appreciated.

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val, it is the map your running that causes that. Tell DH thats just an added benifit of always being behind you. :)

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called Laugerman's in York to see if they do dynos with the PCIIIr - to my amazement, the answer was "we don't mess around with those."

Max, the weird thing is that nobody has mentioned this happening before. We rode with another couple alot all summer and I'm sure Kathy would have mentioned it before, since she always rides sweep.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Val,
I had the same happen to me with the .. .020 map. Try this...
Switch the kill switch on then take the pc out of the cover and press the three buttons down and hold them down. Get someone to switch on the ignition then let the buttons go. Press and hold the low button until you see the led indicator go toward the lean mark for two flashes, then release the button and do the same with the midrange button. By adjusting these two buttons, you will lean out your mixture by 10% in the low and midrange. Let her sit for about 20 seconds then turn the ignition off. Put the pc back in the poach and tuck it back under the airbox. Your fuel economy will improve and should not be too rich anymore.
Cheers Derek

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI Derek. Thanks for the good advice.

I just tried it and discovered the lean and mid-range settings are already as low as they can do.

Am going to try to reload the 020 map altogether now to see if I somehow lost the map, then adjust it.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang!

Well, I took it in for the 12,500 service today and let them dyno it. I specifically asked for "before" and "after" print outs. Went to pick it up, no print outs. Can't remember the reason. The tech who did it said that I was getting about 86 rwhp before and 90 after, he didn't remember the torque values. I said I should be getting 100rwhp or above. He said different dynos will give different values...

Took it out for a ride, country roads only. Might not be getting much more hp for what I paid, but it sure seemed to have alot more in the lower RPMs at lower speeds and 'way more in the highers.

*sigh*

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John,

I've got v-modded stock pipes, K&N filter, PCIIIr. Started from the 020 map.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I hope they didn't charge you much (if anything) for the dyno runs. I wouldn't pay without a printout, no proof they did anything.

Those numbers are WAY off. You should have no less than 95 rwhp totally stock, 100 is more the norm. Your setup should be good for 110 rwhp without much effort. Somethings not right with their dyno IMHO.

Did he tell you what kind of dyno they use? If it's a Factory One Eddy current dyno then that might explain it, they read almost 17% low compared to a dynojet.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He told me, but it didn't sink in. I'll call again tomorrow and ask. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys first.

He said another v-rod with Sampsons gets 90 on their dyno, too.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Thats Pretty Sad Val!:stilpoke
P.S But you are Just a Girl!:goof

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Kaz, good thing this doesn't reflect on my manhood.

So, if it's their dyno and a measuring error, then that's one thing.

If it's not their dyno, then what? I mean, what does it mean that the hp is so low and what do I do about it?

Thanks, guys.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Val,
Just Eat a LOLLIPOP and look cute while you ride!:lick: :diablo:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'd rather do this!:spank2: :icon_twis

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Max. I can't make any sense of it, of course, being just a GIRL!

There's no question he did SOMETHING to it -- it's definitely running better. I'll have a chance to check the gas mileage today.

However, I'd really wanted the print-outs so I could ask you guys to check out what he did and make sure it is right.

And, if it was OK, I was going to download the map and offer it to others who have the same setup and want to keep their tops on. But, who would want THIS number???

Might go out and make them do a print-out for me next week when it starts raining again.

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val I'm sure that he did an update and he may have run the dyno but I would also think that everyone that ask for a dyno run would want the sheet to either brag or cry. :2cents

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Val said:
Thanks, Max. I can't make any sense of it, of course, being just a GIRL!
... I was going to download the map and offer it to others who have the same setup and want to keep their tops on.
Val
WHY do women want to always keep their tops ON?!?!?:eck02

Mike :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts