Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well yesterday I got on the highway running through the country between to towns. I figured with it's hills and turns it would make for a fun ride at higher speeds but not the mind splitting stress of the 60mph limit dual line highway going north that is flat and straight.

I get a mile out of town and come down a hill and level out in 5th. I dropped to 40mph and was down shifting. When I went to 4th it bugged down and died. Ok I pushed the button and she started and I went up the road came up a hill and she bugged down and when I got the top in 4rd and leveled out she died. :banghead: Ohh this time she would not start. SO I got off and ohh look she is way low on oil:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ok so I called a friend instead of trying to drive into town Plus she would not start. He brought me some oil and I filled it up and tried it again. She would not start so I went into town and to get my dad and my buddy said the gas gauge was likely working . :banghead:

So I put gas in it and nothing so I got my dad came back and she started. I guess all the gas had run to the right side away from the line and ran dry then when it sat on leaning to the left the gas ran over to the line.

So when this was going on I noticed there was no kick start.

Any idea why not, could it have been removed? It is a 1981 gs550 4cycl suzuki.

PS they will not let me live it down I ran out of gas guess I should have used the reserve :chainsaw:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm no expert on old Suzukis, but I think the kick starters were mostly gone by then. I seem to remember some bikes back in the day that had both electric and kick starters.

Phatass

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
This thread is stupid and should be moved .
Who cares whether it had a kick starter or not,it's a worn out old jap bike.
haha......not only that,, I actually think I started to get a bit of a headache before I got to the end of that story!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess kick starting a 4 cylinder motor might make for a good amount of fun. i thought every bike had one new or old
I'm no expert on old Suzukis, but I think the kick starters were mostly gone by then. I seem to remember some bikes back in the day that had both electric and kick starters.

Phatass

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
I would agree a worn out jap bike, but better then nothing. Figure it will make the transition from no bike to the vrod easier.
well more like going from a horse & buggy to a Lexus

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It was a decent enough standard Japanese bike for the day. But, no it didn't have a kicker. During the late 70's most street bikes were loosing the kickers. The typical transition was for a model to have both then the kicker would be dropped.

Even Harley had the Electra Glide (electric start) in 1965.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL I would agree, but the horse and buggy is still better then the 4 wheel jeep. :D I guess it will make me appreciate the vrod more.
My reason was more for the experience of the clutch since the only bike I had been on was a 1980s Honda that did not have a clutch. It seems to be coming to me easier then the dirt bikes. I have only killed it a few times and no wheelies dumping me on my ass :hidesbeh:
well more like going from a horse & buggy to a Lexus

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Why is this thread still in the V-ROD general forum and not moved to off topic?

You people running this place have absolutely destroyed this wonderful V-Rod forum.

mother**** a jap piece of shit!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts