Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 08 Dx not that long ago...I asked about oil type from the dealer....he said "Do not use synthetic".............just thought I would ask what you guys use?:

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I would use Dino oil through the break-in period, then switch to a full synthetic after the engine is broken in.

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
I would use Dino oil through the break-in period, then switch to a full synthetic after the engine is broken in.
:them: My dealer also recommends synthetic at the 1000 mile service.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
DJ91 said:
That's funny... My dealer recommended it..
Odd!!!! I was told from 07- they ship with it. When I reached 1000 miles, I
replaced mine with Mobil V Synthetic and no issues so far.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I was told dino oil from the dealer when i picked up my bike and dino oil when i had my 1000 done. burned half a quart on break in and nothing since....2230 miles.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
It is amazing how much crap is out there, where do they train these techs?

·
INVICTUS
127 Posts
I see a few recomendations out there. Can anyone elaborate on why or why not to go with synthetic.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Go 4 Amsoil. I was so impressed with using Amsoil in my racing engines that I became a dealer and it's the only product I will run with. Changed up my 07DX at 1st service and got immediate improvements.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I'll be switching my DINOsaur oil to amsoil synthetic,20/50 motorcycle at the 1000 mile service.

Dan

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
scotman623 said:
Switch to AMSOIL and enjoy...........
:them:

See link on the home page of 1130cc, member sells there and gives a great deal and any advice or help you need as well :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Please clear up my ignorance. Yes I will definitely move to Amsoil 20-50 in the future. My question is if 1000 K is too soon? Many on the forums say that the bike is not broken in by that point and I believe that the motor will not break in as easily with this oil in the case. Bike is going in for first service the first week of July and want to have my knowledge increased by then. I want to do it right and I want my bike to last.:stilpoke:

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Please clear up my ignorance. Yes I will definitely move to Amsoil 20-50 in the future. My question is if 1000 K is too soon? Many on the forums say that the bike is not broken in by that point and I believe that the motor will not break in as easily with this oil in the case. Bike is going in for first service the first week of July and want to have my knowledge increased by then. I want to do it right and I want my bike to last.:stilpoke:
I don't think that changing your oil at 1,000,000 miles is too soon (1000K). tehe.:stooge:

But seriously, keep a close eye on your oil level for the first 6,000 miles! Mine drank oil like the Gulf. All of a sudden it stopped, but I think that it had a lot to do with my fix of the crankcase breather filter. Click here.

Change your original oil at 4000 miles. If you don't think that it is broken in yet (has stopped drinking oil), keep SYN 3 in it until your 8000 mile oil change.

Change your SYN 3 to Amsoil at 8000 miles. Change it again at 12,000, then 20,000, then every 10,000 miles thereafter (whether it needs it or not). That's my program and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks Doc, a slip of the mind to the fingers. If I had 1 000 000 miles on an 09 I would definitely hold a world record:D. Not even 1000 miles yet and already added 1 litre of oil. Thanks for the input I will continue with conventional oil until it stops being thirsty.:ride:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts