Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking if someone sells the oil and filter for the 2002 VRod cheaper than a dealership or stores.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Amsoil is pretty much an approved solution around here.....

Oil: Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic, 4.97 quarts
Oil filter: Amsoil nanofilter (EaOM136C)

·
Registered
51 Posts
anyone use k&n 174c filter with shell rotella t6 oil? i have used rotella and the k&n filters on all my other bikes since getting to az in 97 do 100 daily never a proplem but they were all non HD bikes.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
K&N filters let alot of fine particles by it. Even more so in the desert climate with fine sand particles. IMHO you would be better running the Sceamin Eagle dry media washable filter that requires no messy oiling and filters better than the K&N.
The oil viscosity requirement for the VRSC is 20w-50. The manual says you can use the oil you mention if the proper oil is not readily available. But it's your bike so knock yourself out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Heres my two cents on filters and oil for what its worth. Ive used the Mobil 1 20-50 since I purchased it several years ago with a HD oil filter. The Mobil 1 is usually fairly priced and readily available at the local big box auto parts stores in my area. I never bought into the Amsoil thing. Ive always liked OEM filters, whether its Motorcraft for my GT500, or AC / DELCO for my Duramax. I never had a engine issue with OEM filters. Im not a big fan of the K&N air filters just due to the fact there oiled. I went to a dry filter from S&B and a dry Airaid filter for my Chevy and Mustang. I dont like the mess of oil residue in the airbox or maybe getting on the MAF. I was tempted to buy the SE dry filter since It seems the Amsoil filter is discontinued however, I havent done the research yet to see if the dry filter flows anyless then the K&N does. Currently, I still have the K&N in the bike that I bought a few years back when I went topless. Back then K&N was my only option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
JJrod
K&N filters let alot of fine particles by it. Even more so in the desert climate with fine sand particle

i think you are talking about air filters not the oil filters

·
Registered
51 Posts
JJrod
K&N filters let alot of fine particles by it. Even more so in the desert climate with fine sand particle

i think you are talking about air filters not the oil filters

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
How much are other dealerships charging?
Locally 20w-50 synthetics H-D oil is $12.95 a quart.
Mobil 1 $10.50 - 11.50
Lucas $10
Castrol $10.99
Redline $11.60

@ 4.5 quarts, how much are we trying to save here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found that the oem oil filter from the dealer was cheaper than some aftermarket I recall paying $10 for the oil filter (cad)
And for oil I use rotella T6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts