Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the 1,600 kms service and changes to HD Syn oil. A couple of days before, I purchase a termostate oil stick just to see what the difference would from the nornal HD oil to the HD Syn oil. The reading was about 175 deg before and I did not have to much experience on a long ride as to where it would reach. To my surprise after the service and change to HD Syn oil there was no difference. Later I went on a 150 Km ride this weekend and at mid-point did a pit stop to check the oil temperature and it was at 175 deg. Later at our destination I checked the level and it actually reached 200, this was after driving in traffic and it was only about plus 14 Celcius. On my ride by home the oil actually reached a bit above 200 deg and the fans were going on strong. I checked the oil leve and it is bag on and the coolant is also at the proper level. I notice that most people posted that the Temp acutally decreased? Should I be concerned?

Michel

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
I would say not. They did some temp testing on my bike and it averaged about 202 degrees with 20-50 regular oil and in a closed environment. I thought this was warm also but from what I've been told on this forum, the fans go on at 203 degrees.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Michel said:
On my ride by home the oil actually reached a bit above 200 deg and the fans were going on strong....Should I be concerned?
Since that temperature is in degrees Fahrenheit, and the Syn3 probably has a flashpoint somewhere north of 400 degrees - probably not.

Since the V-Rod is liquid cooled it has a number of systems designed to keep the fluids running in an "optimum" temperature range. For instance, until the coolant temperature reaches a certain point, it it bypasses the radiator. Only once the coolant warms up does the thermostat allow it to go to the radiator - and then when it gets hotter still do the fans come on. The temperature of the oil and the coolant are going to be somewhat related - but not exactly the same.

Frankly, I'm somewhat skeptical of all the claims about running cooler with Syn3. Since obviously you cannot run both fluids in the same bike at the same time - any observations people make are going to be subjective. More to the point, I've not actually heard any scientifically convincing reason why a Synthetic lubricant should "run cooler" - even if it reduces friction, it is only by a very small amount - and hardly enough to cause the engine to work less hard. And this is even more true in a liquid-cooled bike than it would be in an air-cooled one.

The dipstick-mounted oil temperature gauge is a neat little accessory (I've got one on my bike) - but it really is of limited usefulness for most daily riding situations. Its also pretty hard to read from the saddle, unless you are sitting at a long stoplight - and even then you've got to be careful you don't fall over trying to read it.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
No change in temp at all!

I changed to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50w a month ago. The transmission shifts a bit smoother; it is easier to find neutral; but....there was absolutely no change in the engine oil temp with the synthetic oil. Just my 2 cents worth.
good luck. redrazor

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I agree with you... the cooling system/thermostat governs engine temps... any variables that would increase it would have to contend with that. All the other improvements I noticed when I switched to Syn3 were those you already mentioned... easier shifting etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have a gauge on my V-ROD and I use SYN3 in it. Before the V-ROD I had a 2001 Fatboy with a gauge. I switched it over to Mobil1 and the temp went down 20 degrees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts