Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what everyone is seeing as far as oil temps go. I'm generally 150-170 F now (off of the oil temp dipstick), which is about 15-20 degrees cooler since going to Syn 3 oil. Also, how does oil temp generally relate to cooling system temp? i.e. will the radiator fans come on at a certain oil temp?

I know from the electrical manual:
"Fan Relay: The ECM will energize the fan relay when coolant temperature rises to 203 F (95 C) and shut off when coolant temperature falls to 194 F (90 C). The ECM may continue this function for up to one minute when the engine is off if the engine temperature is above 194 F (90 C)."

This is off the coolant temp, and not oil temp...so, I'm trying to figure out if there is a standard oil temp where they come on. It seems that any stop-and-go traffic will cause the fans to start operating....Are they constantly running for you folks in Arizona, Florida, Hawaii??

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o2man98 - yes, I know that...as stated in my question. I am trying to see if there is a corresponding oil temp that most guys are seeing the fans come on at. Also, general oil operating temps.

·
AMF
423 Posts
I have the oil temp dipstick and I was also curious about the temp since there is no actual coolant temp guage. After riding my engine oil temp is a pretty steady 170. it was a little higher when the weather was warmer around 175-180. I have never seen it above 180. Never thought to look at the temp when the fans come on but will the next time I ride. Too G-D cold today :mad: Temps around 18 with wind chill at 0

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash That would ba good question to ask one of the guys down under, this time of year my cooling fans almost never get the chance to come on.

Max

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My oil temp seems to be 150 F when speeds are up around 45 MPH or more and around 170 when stop and go speeds. That's with outside air temps around 45-60 F.

VRod John - what type oil do you use?

·
AMF
423 Posts
I had the bike serviced at 1k and the dealer installed 20w50 moco oil. When I had the head gasket failure at 1850 miles they changed the oil again and used the same 20w50.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is 250 normal for that setup? Sounds like it's pretty hot compared to ours.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
When it's hot down here (say around 30 to 35 C) the fans run pretty much whenever the bike isn't moving, and even when it is if you're in slow traffic when there isn't decent airflow over the radiator. No idea about oil temp, I have the stock dipstick.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
250 is a bit on the high side for an air/oil cooled bike, 210 is more the norm. Yet another reason to run synthetic oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts