Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Harley V Rod and noticed that oil is seaping out of the very bottom of the bike, below what i believe is called the crankcase. I'm not a mechanic by no means so i'm quite lost. To describe it better: if you are sitting on the bike, the leak is on the left side, at the very bottom. It is right below where the crank case cover (i believe) attaches to the engine/motor. Is it possibly a bad gasket or something worse. The leak is about 2 inches or so behind the stator? wire that comes out of the bike. I don't see any oil actually coming out of the stator wire connection. It's more towards the very bottom of the bike along the seams of the crank case cover. There's no dripping on the floor of my garage, just oil seaping when i run my finger along the bottom under the bike.

Someone said to just seal it with silicone and it should be fine but i'm afraid to do that.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem or if it's any major concern?

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
leaking on my 03' & my 08dxa. the 03' they replaced the gasket a few times, finally they replaced the cover. i was informed that when they chromed it it left some imperfections. my 08dxa they replaced the gasket, so knock on wood it hasn't leaked since. hope this helps.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
o god dont silicone it. take the pan off and inspect/replace the gasket.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You need to examine the engine and determine where the oil is coming from first.Start at the top and look at the most common things that leak on these engines first.Remove the air box cover and the top of the air box.Make sure oil isn't puddling in the box and leaking down.Check the front and rear breather hoses.
There's more to check,but these are very common areas for leaks.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
On my 2003 VRSCA with 65K miles, I just stopped my leak at the oil pan after a lot of head scratching...long story short, I replaced my oil pan gasket/baffle and oil pan and the persistent leak stopped.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
oil leak

hey glad you got YOURS worked out

awesome

On my 2003 VRSCA with 65K miles, I just stopped my leak at the oil pan after a lot of head scratching...long story short, I replaced my oil pan gasket/baffle and oil pan and the persistent leak stopped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the dealership replaced the gasket and a couple of o rings and that seems to have fixed the issue; however, after riding yesterday, i just noticed a hose at the back of the airbox? was completely off. Does anyone know what this is and if this could be a cause for some oil i have puddling up around the ground? I've attached a picture of the hose that was found disconnected. I"m not sure how this could have happened as it was extremely tight to get it back onto the airbox and clamped down. ( i hope that's where it belonged anyway.)

Attachments

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Well, the dealership replaced the gasket and a couple of o rings and that seems to have fixed the issue; however, after riding yesterday, i just noticed a hose at the back of the airbox? was completely off. Does anyone know what this is and if this could be a cause for some oil i have puddling up around the ground? I've attached a picture of the hose that was found disconnected. I"m not sure how this could have happened as it was extremely tight to get it back onto the airbox and clamped down. ( i hope that's where it belonged anyway.)
That'll make oil drip/sweat all over the top of your engine. :chair:

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The last time someone had the airbox off they did not reinstall it properly. That's how that happens.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
not being a smart ass.

Do you have manual?

If not you should get one.

It seems Harley is going to make you a mechanic too...lol.

you will find a lot of little things need to be check often to be on the safe side.

Check out some of my videos...link in Sig. these might help someday!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, i removed took the air box filter apart, no oil in the box. air filter was all clean as well. it looks like it's coming from the chrome cap/seams? thx for everyone's help. i'm new to the forum as well as to bikes.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts

Leak is back!!! Even after I replaced the above items and replaced the rear breather hose, I still have the leak. First few weeks no leaks, now it comes back to haunt me .... Grrrrrr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts