Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when Rod (RSC), Craig (Redracer95) and Jason (???) did my valve lash check....
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145419...

I started to disconnect my oil pressure gauge tube from the O/P transmitter adapter. I had loosened it about 1/2 a turn when Rod pointed out that it would be easier to remove it from the gauge instead and be a whole lot easier. so I did.

We finish the work and our test run appeared to be fine.....move ahead to last week. Bike is home up on the jack and I decided to run it and warm it up for a while. While it's idling I'm working on my truck, when I finished I shut the bike down and found about a 1/2 cup of oil on the right side of the engine and dripping on the floor.

I knew what the problem was so I dropped the horn out of the way and tightened up the fitting. Then using a skinny long shafted screwdriver and a rag I tried to clean up the oil from between the jugs. I guess in the process I hit the aluminum tubing that feeds oil to the gauge and fractured it. The next time I ran the bike....yesterday I had about 1/2 a quart of oil squirting all over the place. So, again drop the horn and sure enough, completely busted tube.

I went over to Advance Auto Parts and got a Oil Pressure gauge installation kit ($5.99) with polypropylene (sp?) tubing. I installed this stuff, bled air out of the line, and cleaned everything again, ran the bike up to operating temps and checked, double checked and triple checked. No leaks.

In summary.....If you run these gauges.....I recommend using the plastic tubing.

Steve

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Great catch.

Glad all worked out with this.

Can you get a pic of where the connection is.

rod

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steve was mary francis out in the garage with you when it happened?
Actually I didn't get upset at all.......I knew what the issue was, If it'd have been something we screwed up reassembling everything then I prolly would've peeled paint off the walls with the salty language. As it was it was a $5.99 fix and some time cleaning up.

I'll try and get pictures of the area in question soon.

Steve

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Had this type of mechanical gauges before I got my new ones.
Stainless Steel mesh braided teflon hose, be carefull they don't like too much bending or twisting.
And keep good distance to electrical terminals, happened to me that the hose touched the starter solenoid and the spark burnt a hole in the hose when I pressed the start button.
Always something new...

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Steve, where do you go about getting the housing for the gauges?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Had the same issue when I installed mine, except it was the tee for the idiot light sender that was leaking. Motor will really push out some oil, won't it?

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve, where do you go about getting the housing for the gauges?
[email protected]

Lux gave me this guys name- Thomas Eolide,his e-mail address is above. He is difficult to contact so be patient. I don't remember exactly how much I spent on the gauge kit, it was less than $200.00 though.

Good Luck.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts