Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey V-Rodders,

A little history first: 2003 VRSCA 65K miles with nary any problems.
The last month or so I noticed a small amount of oil (Tablespoon?), on the ground underneath the lower left frame rail...because of the bike's lean due to the kick-stand. The oil appears to be coming from the oil pan screws. The oil pan and rear metal plate (gas tank protector?) directly behind the oil pan is covered in oil. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it up but didn't find anything unusual. I re-torqued every thing back up and still had the leak after riding. Looks like most of the leak is coming from the back corner near/at the ground strap (which is installed correctly).

While I had the oil pan down, I changed the stock screws/washers with stainless steel because they came in a Polished Stainless steel hardware kit for the bike. (Why they came with the kit go figure, can see them unless your an ant) However, still had the leak.

Someone suggested to use an aluminum washer under the stainless ones to act like a crush washer/seal.... after re-installing the screws with the new added washers (I used brass washers thinking they would work as good) I still have the leak, yet, smaller.

The bike was leak free for 5 years and now can't get it to stop. Any suggestions? Threads messed up on oil case? I really don't want to use a gasket sealer if I don't have to. New oil pan or gasket maybe?

Thanks in advance

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
You sure it isn't the breather hose or the connection to the airbox or the head? The oil from them when they leak shows up in some pretty odd places.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VrodPete,

The oil under the pan and rail is new looking (because I recently changed the oil) then turns dark from road grime. There is the normal small amount of dark oil on the bottom of the air box. I will double check when changing out my spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Sounds like oil leaking from the stator plug that goes through the alternator cover. Remove cover, clean up wire grommet, apply Ultra Gray RTV to grommet and put it back together.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o2man98,

Changed out my Alt cover a few months ago...changed from an 2003 cover the the 2004 cover that has a better design. Not leaking from there. But, thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Someone I know recently had a very small stress crack in his oil pan. Could barely see it but it looked like the oil was weeping through the pan material.
RTV'd it to fix.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Check out the seal carriage assembly behind the front sprocket, has an O ring and a seal reataining ring that can go out and the leak will show up where you described it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
okay you need to clean the entire under part of the bike.

This means clean eveywhere...up the back and on the sides and in the front where the filter is at. Be sure to get a mirror and check to see that you have the rails clean too.

Set the bike up and leave it sit.

Mr Gravity will do its job and you will find the leak. Unless it is coming from the top end.

You need to keep in mind that if you have a leak and then you ride the wind will make a mess out of a tiny drop of anything.

Pull the front sproket cover off.

Check the oil hoses. Drain plug. Shifter shaft area. Bad gasket. Stripped out bolt. this is endless. LOL Make sure to double check between the cases for any oil sitting in any area.

You could have hit something in the road and it was just enough to cause an unseeable crack as mentioned.

Now if the pan was off and put back on with the ground strap in between the case and the pan you leave a mark that will leak. Starzzz's had this at MWT.
Grey RTV will be your friend.

Harley uses this Grey RTV to seal the 2 cases. So using the RTV is not abig deal. Look at the case and you will see it.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
oil leak

the exact thing happened to me. i didnt see that i had the ground strap in between the pan and then engine, which in turn stressed the pan, which in turn caused a slow leak to happen right at the bolt area ( all this 3 days before a 1200 mile trip). I removed the pan, used the grey JB weld-like stuff, let it sit for 15 hours and bolted everything right up. So far i have been on that 1200 mile trip as well as a round trip from fl to ny and so far not a single drop leaked.

do as rsc says and take a real good look at where this leak is coming from. the gasket that is used is made of metal and i cant see it failing really unless there is an obvious defect in it.

okay you need to clean the entire under part of the bike.

This means clean eveywhere...up the back and on the sides and in the front where the filter is at. Be sure to get a mirror and check to see that you have the rails clean too.

Set the bike up and leave it sit.

Mr Gravity will do its job and you will find the leak. Unless it is coming from the top end.

You need to keep in mind that if you have a leak and then you ride the wind will make a mess out of a tiny drop of anything.

Pull the front sproket cover off.

Check the oil hoses. Drain plug. Shifter shaft area. Bad gasket. Stripped out bolt. this is endless. LOL Make sure to double check between the cases for any oil sitting in any area.

You could have hit something in the road and it was just enough to cause an unseeable crack as mentioned.

Now if the pan was off and put back on with the ground strap in between the case and the pan you leave a mark that will leak. Starzzz's had this at MWT.
Grey RTV will be your friend.

Harley uses this Grey RTV to seal the 2 cases. So using the RTV is not abig deal. Look at the case and you will see it.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone I know recently had a very small stress crack in his oil pan. Could barely see it but it looked like the oil was weeping through the pan material.
RTV'd it to fix.
RustyG,

I may just take the pan down again and re-inspected more carefully. When I originally inspected the pan I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (cracks). This was the first time the pan was removed since build and was pleasantly surprised that there was only a couple of very small pieces of debris sitting inside the pan (non-metallic).

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out the seal carriage assembly behind the front sprocket, has an O ring and a seal reataining ring that can go out and the leak will show up where you described it.
redfish1960,

Will check it out...thanks. I re-checked under the pan yesterday and it appears the right back corner of the oil pan is where the oil is coming from. Found some oil (again) on the heads of the screws in a few places even after the extra soft washers were installed.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the exact thing happened to me. i didnt see that i had the ground strap in between the pan and then engine, which in turn stressed the pan, which in turn caused a slow leak to happen right at the bolt area ( all this 3 days before a 1200 mile trip). I removed the pan, used the grey JB weld-like stuff, let it sit for 15 hours and bolted everything right up. So far i have been on that 1200 mile trip as well as a round trip from fl to ny and so far not a single drop leaked.

do as rsc says and take a real good look at where this leak is coming from. the gasket that is used is made of metal and i cant see it failing really unless there is an obvious defect in it.
Luigit,

I believe it was your post I did some research on about your oil pan leaking right before a long ride and HD dealer messed things up?... Anyway, I will re-check the pan once again and look carefully at the ground strap area along with any possible stress cracks, pinholes, etc.

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions guys ..... Will let you know what I find.

Update 10-06-2010: Found one screw without an extra washer...added it, rode it, and only have a drip on the rail and none on the ground.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
the only thing HD messed up on is not having any in stock. i know better than to have them actually work on it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts