Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 08 AW the other day and did the routine check once home and found that the oil level is approx. 1/2 inch over the full mark (yes, I did check it according to the manual i.e. bike was upright), which was quite a concern to me. When I questioned the pre-delivery bloke , he stated V-Rods tend to consume a bit of oil during the initial break-in period and he assumes that they must have over overfilled from the factory. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

I can also confirm that the Australian 08 V-Rods (with catalytic converters) are also suffering from the lean surging (well at least mine) that the home market V-Rods are suffering from. It's only in the lower rpm. It's only slight but it is there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SC SCRMN EAGLE said:
i have a 07 VRSCX and it too was over the full mark on oil.. it doesnt use oil tho but it does have the surging at 3000 rpm..
Thanks for the fast reply , I'm pleased to hear someone else's bike has been over filled and did no damage (I assume). Interesting your 07CX lean surging ' I thought it was to do with the o2 sensors on the 08, could it be more related the to 1250 motor itself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
Was the engine HOT when you checked it? It makes a difference - about 1/2 inch on the stick. When hot the stick shows lower.
 

·
Darth Veeness
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
dddd said:
I picked up my 08 AW the other day and did the routine check once home and found that the oil level is approx. 1/2 inch over the full mark (yes, I did check it according to the manual i.e. bike was upright), which was quite a concern to me. When I questioned the pre-delivery bloke , he stated V-Rods tend to consume a bit of oil during the initial break-in period and he assumes that they must have over overfilled from the factory. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

I can also confirm that the Australian 08 V-Rods (with catalytic converters) are also suffering from the lean surging (well at least mine) that the home market V-Rods are suffering from. It's only in the lower rpm. It's only slight but it is there.
Whether or not the bike uses oil during break in is not the issue, the manufacturer of any vehicle will tell you it's alway a bad thing to overfill the oil. For one thing this process may cause problems by forcing oil past seals or causing it to pool in the breather. The proper way to do it is to keep an eye on the oil level by checking it at each fill up and adding oil only when necessary. As an employee of the dealership whoever told you this should know better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
dddd said:
I picked up my 08 AW the other day and did the routine check once home and found that the oil level is approx. 1/2 inch over the full mark (yes, I did check it according to the manual i.e. bike was upright), which was quite a concern to me. When I questioned the pre-delivery bloke , he stated V-Rods tend to consume a bit of oil during the initial break-in period and he assumes that they must have over overfilled from the factory. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

I can also confirm that the Australian 08 V-Rods (with catalytic converters) are also suffering from the lean surging (well at least mine) that the home market V-Rods are suffering from. It's only in the lower rpm. It's only slight but it is there.
the guys setting up the bike at the dealership should have checked the oil level. it is part of the pre delivery inspection. the only problem is that pdi at most dealerships now (including ours) is not done my trained mechanics anymore.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
It's highly unlikely that the oil is actually overfilled from the factory since the factory pre-measures the oil when they button up the motor. I think the dipstick is the more likely cause. Of course, if the dealer "topped off" the oil then you could have an issue.

Just make sure the motor is hot, upright and just turned off when you check it.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
mjw930 said:
It's highly unlikely that the oil is actually overfilled from the factory since the factory pre-measures the oil when they button up the motor. I think the dipstick is the more likely cause. Of course, if the dealer "topped off" the oil then you could have an issue.

Just make sure the motor is hot, upright and just turned off when you check it.
If you find the oil is truly over filled, then check the oil a couple times with the engine running. I think you'll fix that problem.....:diablo:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,891 Posts
this has always had me wondering as well, the manual claims it holds 5 qts., but every time I change the oil I never get all of that last quart into the case without going over the full mark - yes I run it a while and check it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes as originally stated I have checked it according to the manual ie hot upright and waiting 2 minutes after shut down dip stick screwed all the way back down. It looks like I should be removing some oil to be safe.
 

·
durata membro
Joined
·
17,603 Posts
dddd said:
Yes as originally stated I have checked it according to the manual ie hot upright and waiting 2 minutes after shut down dip stick screwed all the way back down. It looks like I should be removing some oil to be safe.

Actually,I read 3 minutes when hot but this is just getting picky.If you have checked the oil hot and cold and you are still sure it's over full,then drain some out.
You can use a lenght of clear tubing and suck it out.Just take a little out at a time,it's probably not even a pint over.
Never take the check-filler out when the engine is running.If you do you won't have to lube the shifter for a couple of years.:stooge:
I don't think over full will cause any problems as we don't have the friction modifiers that car engines do,the lack of hydrogenated oil and additives means it will not foam as much.Low is where it's written NOT to run the engine.

Now,get outside and ride your new V-Rod!



Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Mine was the same way when new. Overfilled from the factory. Checking the oil on these bikes is a pain in my opinion. It never seems to check the same way twice. That is why I use Max's method of checking it cold on the side stand. Ive just marked the dip stick with a hacksaw for a reference. If you decide to use this method mark the dipstick after you have just changed the oil. But make SURE you run the bike a few minutes after the oil change, then let it get cold.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,891 Posts
how hard could it have been for Harley engineers to adjust the x's on the dipstick so an oil check could be done with the bike on the kickstand in normal position?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Problem with that is, HD don´t want any "dipsticks" checking their oil on the jiffy-stand/on level ground, in case the stand is resting on a slight hole, or bump, causing a false reading. Upright is upright, you just have to make sure the ground is level from front to rear.
That´s why Jap bikes have to be upright to check the level through their little glass windows; I prefer a dipstick though...
At home I use my lift.
Out of home, I just sit on the bike upright, and reach down.
Then again, my Nightrod hardly uses any oil, so I only check it when I clean her!

Cheers!
Drake
Fully fledged member of the International Dipstick Crew! ;-)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,891 Posts
SirFrancisDrake said:
Problem with that is, HD don´t want any "dipsticks" checking their oil on the jiffy-stand/on level ground, in case the stand is resting on a slight hole, or bump, causing a false reading. Upright is upright, you just have to make sure the ground is level from front to rear.
That´s why Jap bikes have to be upright to check the level through their little glass windows; I prefer a dipstick though...
At home I use my lift.
Out of home, I just sit on the bike upright, and reach down.
Then again, my Nightrod hardly uses any oil, so I only check it when I clean her!

Cheers!
Drake
Fully fledged member of the International Dipstick Crew! ;-)
either way the bike could be in a hole or not level..............
 

·
Ted
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
traktime said:
this has always had me wondering as well, the manual claims it holds 5 qts., but every time I change the oil I never get all of that last quart into the case without going over the full mark - yes I run it a while and check it again.
Same here until I started draining the oil with the back end raised up. 5 quarts exactly now.
 

·
San Diego |07 DX|
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
if you noticed a problem w an oil 'overfill', you may have already noticed loose bolts. you might want to go over your bike and tighten up everything. check out the header bolts - there is a thread about those being loose from the factory (finger tight)
 

·
Weight Weenie
Joined
·
452 Posts
rjrivero said:
If you find the oil is truly over filled, then check the oil a couple times with the engine running. I think you'll fix that problem.....:diablo:
Thats screwed up, man.:mad:
 

·
Justpassinthru
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
My bike takes 5 quarts and remember the oil filter has to run to fill it and put kick stand on a preset wood block to maintain level and check level on dipstick. Don't be sitting on bike to check it and level ground too ! I do it in the garage.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top