Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 07 AW in the shop last week for oil on right side leaking around rear cylinder. Dealer told me oil was coming from front breather hose, I had to wait a week for the dealer to fix it, took it home and out for a ride today, Oil now running down side of engine rear cylinder right side and have oil on the left side front cylinder now. Took it right to dealer today and grabbed my sales rep and made him look at the oil leak. Anyone have any suggestions or help, bike sitting at dealer to be looked at tomorrow! This sucks.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Go through it with a screwdriver and tighten the hose clamps that connect the breather lines to the bottom half of the airbox. This is a very common issue and one you can take care of yourself in a couple minutes. Ken

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Most likely the vent hoses are not attached properly. Common if anyone took off the air filter housing or if it wasn't assembled correctly at the factory. Really easy to fix also.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Mine did the leak and the dealer siad they found it and fixed it. that night I was cleaning it and found the back vent off the cam cover was not even attached. Look up under the air cover above the head on the right side and you will find if that is the problem.

Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Hey Guys thanks for the info, its sunday and bike at dealer, I will check things out myself next time, but since the just fixed this last week Ill let em fix it again. The bike is brand new I only got 3400 miles on it.
Ill post when I find the results.

Thanks Again, Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on oil leak

Ok Its Monday called dealer, they are gonna look at it "as soon as possible" its now after 6pm dealer is closed and guess what, never heard from the dealership at all today.

It seems that all they care about is the sale, when it comes to service, we get to it when we get to it. I should right Harley where and complain.

Pi$$ed Off Now !

Keep everyone posted.

·
V-Man
48 Posts
The MoCo could careless about customer service. I wouldn't waste my time writing them. Buy you a service manual for your year and model and take care of the business yourself and you won't have the hassles of working with any of the stealers. They all suck. Mine is still under warranty but I will be doing all my own routine maintenance. I can get it all done a lot faster than the HD stealers can.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
call HD customer service, they are not real super fast but they will work with and for you,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I battled the rear cylinder breather hose oil leak for weeks. I knew that it was coming from the rear breather hose where it attaches to the cylinder cover. It did not look like this at first it looked like the valve cover was leaking. I bought a brand new hose and clamps and installed them for it to only leak a few days later.

Seems to me that the breather hose is under some pressure and I am guessing with the engine heat and maybe some movement while riding some bikes just leak here. Also the hose is real short so not much room for it to flex as things move and expand. I think the rear leaks more then the front since it is on an angle and it seems to me that the oil pools up in the neck of the hose (between the flange end and the clamp since you will find this is the first place that the hose rots) this small amount of oil weeps past the clamp when the bike is sitting and hot after riding. If you have a real bad clamp or hose it could be leaking while riding too.

100% sure fix every time.
Clean both sides of all oil and get some fresh Permatex Ultra Black oil resistance RTV silicone just put a small amount around on the valve cover end (no need to glob it just a coating). Install the hose clamp with medium torque (don’t kill it if you see the rubber coming through the clamp grooves that is to tight). Wait a few hours and recheck the clamp and snug it up again. If you can let it dry 24 hours for the best results but a few hours is generally considered ok.

Ride safe and enjoy no more oil leaks from that hose.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au..._Oil_Resistance_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Gang, got bike from stealer today, I was told it was residual oil from leak last week that the tech did not clean up. HUH hard to believe that much, but took bike to work today and no leaks yet. I think they forgot to do something last time like put rear breather hose back on or something, so far so good. I did get a service manual. Any suggestions on winter storage I live in a townhouse no garage, but my buddy down the street has a garage, gonna store it there for the winter but not until it gets snow or much colder here.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Harleerider said:
Ok Gang, got bike from stealer today, I was told it was residual oil from leak last week that the tech did not clean up. HUH hard to believe that much, but took bike to work today and no leaks yet. I think they forgot to do something last time like put rear breather hose back on or something, so far so good. I did get a service manual. Any suggestions on winter storage I live in a townhouse no garage, but my buddy down the street has a garage, gonna store it there for the winter but not until it gets snow or much colder here.
Lot's of info on the forum (try the search feature). E.g. here's one of many threads: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81292

Some good things to do:
1) Use a good battery charge "keeper" like those with the "Battery Tender" brand.
2) Change the oil
3) Fill the gas tank
4) Lift bike off tires

·
Registered
15 Posts
What type of town homes do you have A/C near the bike for a battery tender. If not can you run an extension cord. Any covered areas that you can rent if not can you park a enclosed bike trailer in your parking area that works great for a storage area and give you a trailer (cheaper then rent in the long run).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like they did resolve the problem, although not as good in the customer "communication" department as they could have been. It is not true that the MOCO does not care about customer service. They put considerable "pressure" on dealers to do so. Remember they are independently owned. Some are poor, some are good and some are outstanding. Not sure which dealer you went to, you have 5/6 dealers to pick from in your area. Having worked at one of them, (and learning of the reputation of the others) I can say that the majority of them do care about your needs and want you to be happy with your bike. Sorry about this poor experience, but I am positive that there is a dealer near you that would be happy to make your experience a good one. If you need a name, let me know, and I would be happy to call them and give them a heads up. Good luck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oil Oil Oil Leaks

Having the same oil leak problem on the right side since I purchased my 06 VRSCR. It has been in the shop 4 times to address the issue. No results yet. Also having oil wicking on the left side filling up the fins and running front and back making a mess. My last visit to a different dealer said the oil on the left side is caused by some bad "O" rings somewhere up in there. Not sure where he was talking about but I have an appointment after Thanksgiving to address both issues and I will share the results. I am also have some leaking at the front fork seals. Don't get me wrong I love my VRSCR but I am getting very frustrated with all of the leaking issues on such a new bike. I have owned many bikes in my 59 years and none have had oil leaks or any other frustrating issues.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
rastus and harleerider.... you will find that these bikes will wear on your patience. i havent had the oil leak problems but have been to the dealer for rattles,squeaks and clunks none the less. once you get the bugs worked out you will love the bike even more, like some of these guys told you fix it yourself because you know as much about the v-rod as the dealer does.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Had my bike since new in '03 and only had 1 leak that i fixed myself. I find this bike to be the most dependable i have ever owned. 40,000 miles and only 1 leak is mighty impressive in my book. Never ever getting rid of this bike.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rbnky said:
Had my bike since new in '03 and only had 1 leak that i fixed myself. I find this bike to be the most dependable i have ever owned. 40,000 miles and only 1 leak is mighty impressive in my book. Never ever getting rid of this bike.
Excellent point and isn't said often enough. 65k miles and only one oil leak in all that time. Never has my bike dropped a drop of anything except gas when over filled on the ground. Most reliable motorcycle I have ever owned and that is compared to Honda's, Norton's, Suzuki's and even a BMW. It may be the last bike I ever own.

·
Registered
245 Posts
2006niterod,
You are probably right. I think I will give the HD service dept. one more shot at it since my bike is still under warranty then I am going to jump right in. I will either fix it or f_ _k it up so nobody else can fix it. I purchased a Service Manual but have not found any info on that area yet. I still love my Street Rod even with the oil leaks. It has put the life back in life for me. After double bypass surgery in April a I am seeking as much fun as I can cram into the days I have left and my Street Rod fills me up with joy. I have over 13K so far and when spring gets here I will be squashing bugs every chance I get. See ya on the street.
Thanks to all on the 1130cc forum for the warm welcome. I look forward to more visits.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Just talked to the dealer about mine, which is in the shop as we speak. This will be the second time it has been in the shop in under 3000 miles. The leak just got worse after they "fixed" it the first time. This other dealer that is working on it said that there is a "engine plug" that was leaking and they had to "special order" parts for it. Anyway it is suposed to be back in my possession tomorrow! We will see how it goes.

Good Luck & God Bless, JC

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
the bullet shell shaped breather tube from the front cyl to air box sits to low in the air box to allow the seal in the air box to prevent leakage past the seal .the oil leak at this point is the cause of these problems..i fitted a small washer which fits snugly in the head under the tube.this washer spaces the tube up to allow it to fit further into the airbox seal.which prevents further leaks. the washer must be a snug fit in the head because the lip it sits on is tiny.too loose a fit and it could fall into the motor.i have done this mod on a few bikes now and it works..that breather tube is a bad design.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts