Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loosing about 1/2 Q every 300 to 500 miles. Talked to Harley direct and they said that One Quart every 1000 miles is within spc. I say BS! My local Harley shop is going to take it apart and look at the rings and other internals. Oh I am using Harley oil. Plan on going over to Amsoil. I have hearfd that helps alot.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
What kind of bike and how many miles on it?

Some bikes will burn oil until broken in at about 10,000 miles. Some times just changing the oil helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of bike and how many miles on it?

Some bikes will burn oil until broken in at about 10,000 miles. Some times just changing the oil helps.
Bike has 3k miles on it. Oil has been changed every 1000k. 09 V-rod Muscle with V&H slipon and fuelpak.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Oil changes are recommended every 5K miles not 1K. Except for the first which is at 1K miles. Your bike is not broke in yet. Ride it hard and get the revs up. This will help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil changes are recommended every 5K miles not 1K. Except for the first which is at 1K miles. Your bike is not broke in yet. Ride it hard and get the revs up. This will help.
It was changed 3 times for the following

1 Dipstick broke off in the pan. (my falt dont ask lol)

2 Lost oil pressure due to over TQ of oil shaft bolt at factory Dealer fixed and changed oil

3 Changed oil over to Amsoil.

BTW I ride it like I stole it lol!!!!

·
coaltrain
63 Posts
Changing to Mobil or Amsoil will help. Mine was burning the same as you describe with 5,000 miles on it. Changed to Mobil 1 and the oil usage has almost completly stopped. Give it a try.

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
It is still breaking in. Mine used oil up until about 10K. It may be a coincidence, but the oil consumption stopped when I switched to Amsoil at 10K. Break her in good and the consuption will cease.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
It is still breaking in. Mine used oil up until about 10K. It may be a coincidence, but the oil consumption stopped when I switched to Amsoil at 10K. Break her in good and the consuption will cease.
:them: Stopped at 9k, and switch to Amsoil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was changed 3 times for the following

1 Dipstick broke off in the pan. (my falt dont ask lol)

2 Lost oil pressure due to over TQ of oil shaft bolt at factory Dealer fixed and changed oil

3 Changed oil over to Amsoil.

BTW I ride it like I stole it lol!!!!
Having the same issue Rick. Did you get this resolved or come to any conclusions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I did. Changed to Amsoil and went on a 2400 mile road trip and 9 states. Verdict, Did not burn any oil after changing to amsoil!

On another note Totaled my bike a month ago so dont have to worry about it now lol. Didnt get hurt to bad couple of broke ribs and tow and thats it. Bike not so lucky lol. Plan on getting the same bike and every thing in about a year. Prob around 2012. BTW Amsoil for the win!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts