Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my vh indy pipe and not 5 min later it melted my oil line. I was doing over 100mph while switching lanes when this happened. I know that ppl have had issues with this happening with this pipe, but The moco must have been smoking crack when they came up with the route for these lines. I mean really. Thinking of making custom lines for a more direct route that isnt directly infront of a head pipe. Has anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Just installed my vh indy pipe and not 5 min later it melted my oil line. I was doing over 100mph while switching lanes when this happened. I know that ppl have had issues with this happening with this pipe, but The moco must have been smoking crack when they came up with the route for these lines. I mean really. Thinking of making custom lines for a more direct route that isnt directly infront of a head pipe. Has anyone done this before?
They do not melt from the moco it is that pipe that does it. Glad you were not injured and hope it was shut down in a hurry.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I've replaced the oil line on a DX that was melted by an Indy pipe. The problem is the pipe and not the placement of the oil line. No other pipe has this problem except the Indy.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
there should be a damn disclaimer with VH when that Indy pipe is sold!!!....... I guess they wait until someone is hurt or killed before the do this.....dumb,dumb,dumb!!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Glad you made it out OK..
Here's a couple of old threads regarding this problem. Seems few folks used pipe wrap to solve this problem..
solution here
another VH Indy issue

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the kind words guys. I hope the motor isnt hurt, shut it down right away but wont know till i start it back up. Is there a how to on the line replacement? I have the bike apart but need a "special" tool to remove the line from the block. Called the stealer and they said I cant order the tool. Id like to get this done today while its still fresh in my mind. TIA

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
thanks for the kind words guys. I hope the motor isnt hurt, shut it down right away but wont know till i start it back up. Is there a how to on the line replacement? I have the bike apart but need a "special" tool to remove the line from the block. Called the stealer and they said I cant order the tool. Id like to get this done today while its still fresh in my mind. TIA
It's not a special tool. All it is is a 45* 7/8" open end wrench. You need to remove the radiator to change the oil line.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
It's not a special tool. All it is is a 45* 7/8" open end wrench. You need to remove the radiator to change the oil line.
Only on 02-03 bikes. In 2004 they switched to quick release fittings that call for the tool. A substitute is a $.49 1/8" screw driver. :D

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've used Thermo Tec heat shields from Jegs in the past and they're rated for 1050 degrees. Most recently I've been using Thermo tec heat sleeves which are rated at 1200 degrees. Both come in black. The heat shield is more of a metalic material whereas the sleeves feels like a silicone w/fibre lining on the inside.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured Id ask before I went poking around with a flathead :) I agree that it is the pipes fault but for peace of mind I wish I could reroute the line. Im going to see if I can modify my old line by adding a ss piece of hose. For now im going to wrap the hose in a hose sleeve like this :
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heat_shield_sleeve.php
AND header wrap AND wrap the front part of the header. Im hoping that will be a good temporary fix.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Just tie back the oil line to the fan housing and it will be fine. That's what I did on the one I changed and he didn't have any problems afterwards.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got a thermo sleeve from thermo tec. says it has "2000 deg radiant heat reflection" and while im not sure what that means, it seems like enough. The crappy part is that its chrome like finish

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
got a thermo sleeve from thermo tec. says it has "2000 deg radiant heat reflection" and while im not sure what that means, it seems like enough. The crappy part is that its chrome like finish
That's exactly why I didn't put one on my buddy's DX. It will stick out like a sore thumb. Just tie it back to the fan bracket and you'll never have a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When you get it back together, get a piece of exhaust wrap, fold it in 3rds and wedge it between the standoff bracket and the oil line. I've had mine like that for close to a year.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
That stand off is a joke on there. Most people understand that a metal piece welded onto a metal object that gets hot will get hot it's self. I don't have mine tie strapped to the fan as I bent the metal fitting to get the line away when I had the HD destroyer pipe on mine. Since you'll have yours all apart you could tweak the metal fitting enough to route it away from the pipe. Make sure when you put the pipe back on that it's not touching the clutch cover and has plenty of clearance and check the header bolts once in awhile so you don't have issues with it moving down and rubbing the clutch cover.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you get it back together, get a piece of exhaust wrap, fold it in 3rds and wedge it between the standoff bracket and the oil line. I've had mine like that for close to a year.

I have the destroyer pipe...egt bungs and all. no stand off.

as far as the sleeve... I ride my bike very very hard and there is no way im taking a chance. I got the sleeve on and im going to bend the line as well, should i bend it @ the motor or up top @ the rad? On another note, I cant find where the Crank sensor plugs into.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
They come in black. PM me your address and I'll ship one out to you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
who makes it?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts