Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the oil light come on if there's too much oil?

I just changed my oil, but not the filter. I drained the old oil, then added 5 qts of 20w-50 motorcycle oil. Now when I start the bike, the check oil light stays lit. The engine temp is somewhere between operating tempaerature and cold, so i cant get a good reading from the dipstick, but it looks like it's a little over full. Does anyone think that if I drain out a little bit of oil, the light will go out?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The light comes on because of no pressure, it doesn't know how much oil is in the engine unless there isn't enough to make pressure. Too full while not good should not turn the light on. I see by your profile your bike is an 06, it should still be under warranty. If you have an oil light on steady I suggest you not run the motor and get it looked at. It is always possible an oil pump o'ring or other problem occured during the change. Without the filter being changed there should not have even been any lag time in oil pressure building.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
Max said:
The light comes on because of no pressure, it doesn't know how much oil is in the engine unless there isn't enough to make pressure. Too full while not good should not turn the light on. I see by your profile your bike is an 06, it should still be under warranty. If you have an oil light on steady I suggest you not run the motor and get it looked at. It is always possible an oil pump o'ring or other problem occured during the change. Without the filter being changed there should not have even been any lag time in oil pressure building.
:them: Probably only one of two things. 1) What Max said 2) Oil pressure sending unit failure and you're getting a faulty "no pressure" signal.

In any event - shut it down. Get it to the dealer.

Of course - first things first. - to check the oil level, stand the bike upright (not leaning on the jiffy stand) on a level surface. If you're checking the engine oil with the engine COLD, the oil level should be no more than halfway up the cross-hatched area on the the dipstick. If at full operating temp, the oil should be at the top of the cross-hatched area.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You know your dealer is going to :spank: you for not letting them change the oil. So maybe you should just leave that part out and let them figure it out. I would hate to see you get any grief over the warranty. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts