Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a couple questions i have never been sure about for checking oil level. when they say warm do they mean as soon as i shut the bike off after a ride ? or let it coll down to physically warm ? and the other question is when check the oil do u pull it out wipe off the dip stick then just dip it back in or do u screw it all the way back in for your reading ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the book says wait two minutes after you shut it off to check the oil, with engine hot.

Screw it all the way back in for best reading.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the book says wait two minutes after you shut it off to check the oil, with engine hot.

Screw it all the way back in for best reading.

hmm i better check again dk if i did it right the first time thought i came up barely reading on the dip stick, its only been 1200 miles since the oil change that scares me alittle

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
hmm i better check again dk if i did it right the first time thought i came up barely reading on the dip stick, its only been 1200 miles since the oil change that scares me alittle
If you are still at the 2300 miles in you sig I wouldn't worry to much. I burned 2 and a half quarts of Harley non-synthetic from my 1000 to 5000 mile service. My 5 to 10,000 mile service I burned half a quart of Harley syn 3 and now I Amsoil in it from my 10k service and no usage yet but it has only been 1000 miles. I did not change to synthetic until the 5k service due to the extended break in time on the Revo motors. Do a search on burning oil and you will see a ton of posts about it and it usually goes away between the 5 and 10k service and also with the use on non-Harley oil IE: Amsoil or Mobile 1.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if the dealer did the oil change then odds are you only got 3qts put in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeqah dealer did the change at about `1100 miles, i have the crappy hd syn just bc it was a free service ill switch to amsoil next time around, recomend adding oil if the dealer only put 3 qts in ? glad to hear that if it was burned itll goo away hoping for ALOT of miles out of this bike

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking 4 qts ? i know car dealers do the very minimum when they do oil changes i would imagine hd is the same way so add a qt of amsoil ?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the V is the only HD that takes 5qts. Many techs assume the V only takes 3qts like the air cooled bikes. Check the oil again, and if it is low add oil. Any 20w50 motorcycle oil (wet clutch rated) is good.
then PM o2man98 for your Amsoil costs and do the change sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow i am going to be pretty f*cking pissed off if someone at the dealer doesnt know enough to put 5 qts and i have driven the passed 1200 miles with only 3qts in the bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was 1st service free when i bought my bike but if you wanted the syn then u had to pay the difference in oil it cost me 25 dollars i would think thats 5 extra dollars a qt for syn making it 5 qts maybe i was wrong to assume that

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And u are suppose to check it with the bike straight up and down not oh it's side stand right ?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
And u are suppose to check it with the bike straight up and down not oh it's side stand right ?
That is correct. Once you know you have the level right, put it on the side stand and mark the dip stick at the full level. Then you can check it without doing contortions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jesus Christ!!!! Read the fricken owners manual for Christ sake. Its all in there. Black and white. Very Simple.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And as long as it took u to type that it took others to type my answers. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jesus Christ!!!! Read the fricken owners manual for Christ sake. Its all in there. Black and white. Very Simple.
haha, yea, between the oil capacity needed with filter change and the break in procedure the manual recommends I think he was better off asking a question...

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you dont know how to check your own oil, then you shouldnt be drivin or ridin.

I suppose the next question youll have is, Can someone ride my bike for me??

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's nice to bounce a question off folks if it is new to you...in my opinion the whole oil checking thing on a bike is a joke when you use a dipstick...I miss the sight glass on the jap bikes....

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you dont know how to check your own oil, then you shouldnt be drivin or ridin.

I suppose the next question youll have is, Can someone ride my bike for me??

I found this thread helpful. I just got my bike and haven't had time to thumb through the manual. Lots of times it's not obvious (from the manual) whether or not the bike should be standing vertically or on sidestand and whether or not the dipstick should be threaded in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts