Votes: 41 48.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone.
Just out of interest sake, my sump oil leak still hasn't been rectified after fitting the new gasket. My sump leaks from the first two bolts on the right hand front of the sump.
Does any else have this as a problem?
I'm taking it back into the shop (who are very helpful mind you) and they say they will torque it up a bit more.
May have to put some type of decent silastic on the gasket to fix it.
It's a problem though, and my first HD in 20 years with a leak of this size. (Not causing puddles, just misting under the sump and to the rearr of the bike) but when you pay $23 per litre for SYN 3, it all adds up.

From us in Australia, Merry Christmas and a safe New Year everyone.

Ken.

:cheers:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day Val.
What are you doing awake?
It's 1200h here, and I'm just knocking everyone off for the rest of the day as it's Christmas Eve.
Yes, the tech spoke with the Aussie HD rep, as there were No GASKETS IN AUSTRALIA!!!. We finally received one, but as discussed, it still leaks. Not as bad though.
I've noted the posts re leaks on the V Rods and thought it may be of interest to see where most of them occur.
Wouldn't be surprised if a factory HD spy read this site anyway!

Best wishes Val.

Ken.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
None of the choices there were mine. Had an alternator cover leak and a rear cylinder rocker cover leak. Both were fixed on the second trip to the dealer. after the 2500mi service I noticed some grease around the front wheel bearings, but havent noticed it again.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Greg.
The polls only allow 9 choices, but by "Rear Cam Cover, I meant Rear Rocker cover.
How did you go with the photos of the saddlebags?

Merry Christmas mate.

Ken.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Every time I get my camera home, it's full of work photos. I guess I should have waited to post until I had the photos too. I am planning on this weekend, but then again, I have been saying that for how long? Sheeesh!

I absolutely was not trying to put down your list Ken. I am glad you posted it, and can understand the limits... would be silly to have a hundred choices, wouldn't it? Can see it now... everyone voted for one different choice. :confused:

Keep reminding me about the bags... I have an empty memory card right now, and as long as I don't get any calls.....

Greg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Greg
Didn't think that you had a problem with the post for a second mate!

Dont forget the bag photos :)

The V Rod is down as the Power Commander hasn't arrived and I don't want to ride with the Power Shots fitted, and no EFI mods (too lean.)
I'm off to try and get the generator on the Indian working. (It arrived yesterday luckily after repairs down South ).
It's Christmas, Sharlene is working (Crime Scene stuff), and its bloody boring here by myself. If I can't get the Indian sorted, I'll launch the Seadoo, and ride into Townsville for the day! (70 mile)

Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Ken.
:cheers:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too. Enjoy yourself. Sorry to hear you are alone. I won't be alone, but will be on call.

Bag photos???????

oh yeah, I remember:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G'day Frank.
If I could, I would, but it would only upset those of us with intractable leaks! (Why me syndrome!)
At least my bike hasn't been involved in an accident, so I should count myself as lucky! Hope your'e riding again soon.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
alternator cover leak

I'm a new rider. Been riding for only 6 months. First I rode an 883 sportser then I leaped to the v-rod last month. I brought my v-rod to the dealer because I noticed an oil leak on the alternator cover. I also told them to do the 1k mile service. After riding it for a couple of days I noticed that there is still oil leak at the same place. Not as much just some settling of oil under the engine cover. The leak appears when I ride it for about 20 miles and more. Brought it back to the dealer and it is still there for 4 days now. Dealer told me they will test ride it tomorrow and make sure there is no leak. Can't wait to ride it again.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My leak and subsequent oil loss seems to have deminished markedly after fitting the new sump gasket. Still loose a bit, but I can cope.
jambimmer, hope the shop sorted your problem out.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

·
4,638 Posts
I've Been Lucky so far.... the only leaks that I have had have been at the gas station on long rides :moped :moped

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Had a leak at the ign. stator.It was one of the few times I asked a question and got a direct answer at the dealer.Usually I'm looked at like I have 10 heads.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Bearing grease running out of your bearing is not an oil leak I'm fairly certain! Eric :moon

·
Registered
80 Posts
My front cam cover was leaking, took in to be fixed before 100th got back and both front and rear cam covers leaked worse. Took in a sceond time and dealer replaced gaskets again, but also replaced cam covers. They said the covers were warped causing the leak. I have been good so far, but this was almost winter when I got it back so I have only put about 50 miles on it since then. But so far no leaks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts