Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Oil leak

659 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  knight rod rob 
#1 ·
Hello
I was just wondering if oil can leak out of the throttle shafts. Mainly the one on the rear right side of engine. The intake boot clamps are tight and the filter hsg gasket I replaced. It looks like the oil is coming out of shaft and running down the boot onto the engine. I can detect a bit of end play in the shaft. Maybe some one can check theirs and tell me should the shaft have end play you can Feel. I mean it moves up and down pretty good. Dont want it to come apart and fall in engine some how. Its not using any oil.
Rob

#2 · (Edited)
Those shafts are sloppy when new and have some play. More radial play then axial. That oil might be from the gasket area of the lower airbox connection, running down to the shaft area. It comes from mist from the crankcase breathing. Check inside your breather box as it does accumulate to a liquid state over time. Only other way would be from intake reversion but there would need to be extra oil in the intake from a bad intake valve seal adding extra oil. What I do to check the shafts is remove the filter, hold the throttle wide open and with a dental mirror and light, look real close at the shafts , at the screws for any signs of cracks. I tape the dental mirror to a stick for extra length. As for a possible bad valve seal, compare front and rear. Neither should have that wet oil look inside. Zero in on the intake stems and valve heads themselves for any sign of liquid oil. Removing the stacks would make inspection easier.
Ron

#3 ·
Those shafts are sloppy when new and have some play. More radial play then axial. That oil might be from the gasket area of the lower airbox connection, running down to the shaft area. It comes from mist from the crankcase breathing. Check inside your breather box as it does accumulate to a liquid state over time. Only other way would be from intake reversion but there would need to be extra oil in the intake from a bad intake valve seal adding extra oil. What I do to check the shafts is remove the filter, hold the throttle wide open and with a dental mirror and light, look real close at the shafts both sides at the screws for any signs of cracks. I tape the dental mirror to a stick for extra length. As for a possible bad valve seal, compare front and rear. Neither should have that wet oil look inside. Zero in on the intake stems and valve heads themselves for any sign of liquid oil. Removing the stacks would make inspection easier.
Ron
Ron I will check it a bit closer. Like I was saying. That gasket at the air box is not leaking, I replaced it. Gonna do as u said. I may have to pull throttle bodies and check them boots also. I had one crack awhile back and did not know it until I worked on engine. I hope not a serious issue. Even tho, u would think the oil should not leak outside the engine.:unsure:.
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.