Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the B yesterday before a ride and I noticed a slight film on top of the clutch cover. Ran my finger thru it and it was a slight film of oil. I ran my fingers around the large "bolt" that comes off the rear jug and it had oil residue on it...not alot,but enough. Couldn't find any leaks anywhere else. What is that large bolt for?
And how the HECK does one get to keep a blinker lense back on???

TIA,

'Crewzr

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil leak, check the breather hoses on top of the motor.

Blinker lends cap tabs are likely broken. Het new ones
I'll check the hoses...thanks for the idea. The blinker lense is new and tabs are all intact. I just cant get the cap to seat/seal against the housing and don't want to try and force it.

'Crewzr

·
Registered
439 Posts
X2 with the breather hoses. Front and back lenses are different on mine, had to put a dab of silicone on my aftermarket ones. They fit loose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was cleaning the B yesterday before a ride and I noticed a slight film on top of the clutch cover. Ran my finger thru it and it was a slight film of oil. I ran my fingers around the large "bolt" that comes off the rear jug and it had oil residue on it...not alot,but enough. Couldn't find any leaks anywhere else. What is that large bolt for?
And how the HECK does one get to keep a blinker lense back on???

TIA,

'Crewzr
Use sealant on it but make sure it protects against break fluid if 5.1 don’t use any other break fluids as 5.1 can’t be mixed at all with any other fluids You might try adding thicker o-rings

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Use sealant on it but make sure it protects against break fluid if 5.1 don’t use any other break fluids as 5.1 can’t be mixed at all with any other fluids You might try adding thicker o-rings
I think you are a little confused.
DOT 5.1 can be mixed with both DOT 4 and DOT 3 although it is better not to. It is DOT 5 that cannot be mixed with any others as it is silicone based as opposed to glycol like the others.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
DOT 5.1 can be mixed with both DOT 4 and DOT 3 although it is better not to. It is DOT 5 that cannot be mixed with any others as it is silicone based as opposed to glycol like the others.
I see you clarified that before I could jump in. As for those asshole lids, I've had enough. Original vent seeping notches eliminated and remote vented now.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I see you clarified that before I could jump in. As for those asshole lids, I've had enough. Original vent seeping notches eliminated and remote vented now.
Ron
Gotta be quick!! ?
I am glad I kept my pre Brembos, they don't leak!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Gotta be quick!! ?
I am glad I kept my pre Brembos, they don't leak!
My version 2.0 should be fine now. Yes, I've tried all of the supposed fixes and at the 2 year fluid flushes I was starting to see a damp seam at the lid. What a stupid design those things are (where). Years and years of the same issues, not just v rod HDs and the company still can't get a handle on a good design. Yes, the old style caps were better in that regard.
Ron

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My version 2.0 should be fine now. Yes, I've tried all of the supposed fixes and at the 2 year fluid flushes I was starting to see a damp seam at the lid. What a stupid design those things are (where). Years and years of the same issues, not just v rod HDs and the company still can't get a handle on a good design. Yes, the old style caps were better in that regard.
Ron
Strange how you never see a leak like that on a Jap bike!!

·
VRSC est -03
2,507 Posts
Ron
Ron -in what way did you eliminate the notches? And the vent hose -something special?
Would like to make a copy... Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’d check it out if I was you since it states that it can’t be mixed with anything. Petboys and Autozone will tell you that but on the bottle it says don’t mix with any other break fluids since it mainly silicone base and will cause failure. Here a link maybe help you a little and it only list minimum boiling points if Listen to the warning

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’d check it out if I was you since it states that it can’t be mixed with anything. Petboys and Autozone will tell you that but on the bottle it says don’t mix with any other break fluids since it mainly silicone base and will cause failure. Here a link maybe help you a little and it only list minimum boiling points if Listen to the warning also it has water fighter in it as if any water gets in it unlike other fluids it will fail and cause you to replace whole system. Never listen to high school auto parts guys as they get hired if they don’t know squats I know they hired my Nephew and his friends and they never worked on a motor in their life or breaks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’d check it out if I was you since it states that it can’t be mixed with anything. Petboys and Autozone will tell you that but on the bottle it says don’t mix with any other break fluids since it mainly silicone base and will cause failure. Here a link maybe help you a little and it only list minimum boiling points if Listen to the warning also it has water fighter in it as if any water gets in it unlike other fluids it will fail and cause you to replace whole system. Never listen to high school auto parts guys as they get hired if they don’t know squats I know they hired my Nephew and his friends and they never worked on a motor in their life or breaks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
As I said you are confusing DOT 5 with DOT 5.1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts