Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 VRSCB developed a small oil leak, the oil is dripping out from the left side lower case cover located by the shifter level where the black cable comes out. The nipple is dripping oil...whats the best way to fix this leak? Thanks

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
My 05 VRSCB developed a small oil leak, the oil is dripping out from the left side lower case cover located by the shifter level where the black cable comes out. The nipple is dripping oil...whats the best way to fix this leak? Thanks
Gear position sensor has a rubber o-ring. Never heard of one leaking but that is where you are looking I believe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes thats the one, whats the best way to fix it? Im pretty sure i have to drain all the oil out and clean everything before i install the new rubber o-ring or perhaps just use some silicone but the oil is leaking around it so im not sure that will work very well. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
yes thats the one, whats the best way to fix it? Im pretty sure i have to drain all the oil out and clean everything before i install the new rubber o-ring or perhaps just use some silicone but the oil is leaking around it so im not sure that will work very well. Any ideas?
You don't have to drain oil. Just unbolt the one bolt holding it in, gently pull it out. The o ring will be on the plastic part of the sensor. Pull it off and replace with a like size o ring you can pick up at any hardware store. Make sure you lube the o-ring a little and then put sensor back in the engine. Do not use silicone ...period! There is a good chance your upper cam cover is leaking just above all this... make sure you inspect it for leaking.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Gear position sensor has a rubber o-ring. Never heard of one leaking but that is where you are looking I believe.
Its a crankshaft position sensor (CPS) not a gear position sensor. The sensor is in the engine case. The outer cover with the wires is the stator (which a few members have had leaks from)
both in the same area

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Its a crankshaft position sensor (CPS) not a gear position sensor. The sensor is in the engine case. The outer cover with the wires is the stator (which a few members have had leaks from)
both in the same area
Hall crankshaft position sensor is at the front of the engine.! :chair: The gear position sensor is at the rear

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There is no gear position sensor in the rear or anywhere else on a 05.
There is a speed sensor at the rear and a neutral switch under the rear center area

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the leak is the stator wires and usually require pulling the cover off so you can pull the wires out of the cover to re seal them with silicone.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
the leak is the stator wires and usually require pulling the cover off so you can pull the wires out of the cover to re seal them with silicone.
Yep, Stator wires. Pull the cover, clean it real well and use Gray Permatex. Worked for me a few years ago and still holding.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Thank you that's what I have been trying to say all along

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Here is a picture of the seal where the oil leak is coming from:

Yep, thats the stator wires. If you pull on them or kick them or toss them around while cleaning or working on the bike you may have a tendency to have them start leaking. I think that the wires are pulled too tight by the routing design and this makes them touchy for leaking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everybody's help...is there some kind of a seal i have to replace to stop the oil leak around the wire?

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Thanks for everybody's help...is there some kind of a seal i have to replace to stop the oil leak around the wire?
Nope. See my post#9. Just pull the cover. Clean off the oil around the wires and opening boss with a good cleaner. Add some Permatex (not too much) and reinstall. Let the Permatex setup overnite. The wires have some built in rubber grommet and rib that slips in the boss on the cover. Not a great design IMO. There's a good picture in 2006 Service Manual on page 8-13, Figure 8-15. It looks like this:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what i was afraid of Looks like I have to to drain my oil and take the cover off to clean out the seals and re seal them with Gray Permatex
Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do the center bolts have to come off as well or only the ones around the cover? Whats the best way to pry the cover off once the bolts are removed?

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Thats what i was afraid of Looks like I have to to drain my oil and take the cover off to clean out the seals and re seal them with Gray Permatex
Thanks
You can remove that side cover without too much oil loss. I did it before and I think about 1/2 cup came out is all.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
The center bolts can stay in there, they only hold that small cover to the larger cover.
No, you dont need to drain the oil, but I would block the bike up straight or put it on a lift so it is not angled to the left side first. Stand it straight up before removing the cover, put a oil drain bowl under the cover then remove the bolts.
You will need to give a good straight out pull to remove the cover from the magnetic force of the magneto and watch out for it snapping back with your fingers to the block. There is a good amount of magnetic force holding that cover on. The wires will also still be connected to the cover when you pull it off so dont pull to far away from the bike.

You can do this. It is an easy thing to do.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Tie_One_On is correct. I was surprised at how much force the magnetic pull of the magneto had on the side cover. Once you get it started its easy. I think there are 2 guide pins when you go to re-install the side cover which helps alot.

Oh, don't forget to follow the torque sequence when re-installing the cover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts