Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Muscle A4 HOG
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 09 vrscf back from the dealer after they had the air box off the bike looking for an electrical problem. When I got home the whole engine is coated with oil and it was dripping off onto the exhaust. Anybody any idea of how oil can be leaking out of something around the underside of the air box?

·
Run-N-Gun
267 Posts
I had this same problem. My service department told me that HD recomends running the VRod 1/2 quart low because the crank whips oil up the breather tube into the airbox. Of course then it leaks out over the heads, jugs, legs, exhaust, etc.

Take the top of the airbox off and see if you have oil pooled somewhere.

·
Muscle A4 HOG
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already had a look and the air box does appear to be coated with oil inside. The funny thing is that I've done a few hundred miles since the bike was serviced and the oil only seems to have appeared now. It could be that I just hadn't noticed it until it started to drip on the exhaust and smoke.

Thanks for the help.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I had this same problem. My service department told me that HD recomends running the VRod 1/2 quart low because the crank whips oil up the breather tube into the airbox. Of course then it leaks out over the heads, jugs, legs, exhaust, etc.

Id find another dealer quick the bike runs fine with 5qts.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I drove my 09 vrscf back from the dealer after they had the air box off the bike looking for an electrical problem. When I got home the whole engine is coated with oil and it was dripping off onto the exhaust. Anybody any idea of how oil can be leaking out of something around the underside of the air box?
I would check around the bottom of the air box, right front and left rear where the breather hoses hook to the air box. This is where most leaks start.

·
Muscle A4 HOG
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Greg, it would make more sense that the guy didn't put the breather hoses back on properly after he had the air box off just before I drove the bike and found the oil. It's all really annoying because the bike has run absolutely flawlessly for 11k miles since I got it last year and the week before we are going on holiday, going to do 2,5k miles starting on Saturday, the [email protected] who are meant to know what they are doing go and make an arse of fixing a minor electrical problem... It wouldn't be so bad but they also charged me a squillion of our pounds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
theres a light gold metal breather hose that plugs into the top of the motor with a oring on the botom...maybe the orings not on right when they put it on it pinched or rolled up...i no wen i took mine off i was always cautious about that cause i didnt want exactly wat happened to u happen...good luck

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts

Blimey, that's a smart service department! And not in a good way! The airbox is quite tricky to put on right, if you mess it up you get oil everywhere. No big deal, it can happen to anyone, they should have apologised and spent two minutes fixing it.

"Half a quart low" indeed.

Never go back.

·
Run-N-Gun
267 Posts
Id find another dealer quick the bike runs fine with 5qts.
All I know is that I get oil down my leg w/ 5 qts and none with 4-1/2. YMMV. It seems to blow right up the breather tub and drain out of the airbox.

As far as the OP if there was no problem originally, I would expect the hoses weren't re-installed correctly as already stated.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
All I know is that I get oil down my leg w/ 5 qts and none with 4-1/2. YMMV. It seems to blow right up the breather tub and drain out of the airbox.

As far as the OP if there was no problem originally, I would expect the hoses weren't re-installed correctly as already stated.
if its leaking something isn't right, it has nothing to do with having 5qts in the engine.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts

Find a new service department. IDIOTS there
I already had a look and the air box does appear to be coated with oil inside. The funny thing is that I've done a few hundred miles since the bike was serviced and the oil only seems to have appeared now. It could be that I just hadn't noticed it until it started to drip on the exhaust and smoke.

Thanks for the help.
Front breather tube is not installed correctly.

·
Jeff
283 Posts
I had the same issue too. First ride home after taking delivery and it made a mess. Took it back to the dealer and they found that the o-ring was insufficient sealing below the breather valve. The tech stacked a second o-ring and I haven't had a problem in over 400 miles so far.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts