Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed that my 06 D is leaking oil from the oil plug/pan I have checked the plug and it nice and tight, I even changed my oil and made sure I cleaned the threads on the screw plug and the threads on the pan. it doesn't leak much, it seems to drop a couple of drips every few days.

Can anyone help with some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I would try the plug first as it is prolly a cheap check. Then I would replace the oil pan if you are sure it is leaking from there and not running down from your stator cover.

·
Premium Member
11,382 Posts
Torque drain plug to 25.8 ft/lbs. This plug will strip real easy. There is not much material on the oil pan for the plug to grab on to and stripping it is common. I would look for some type of thread sealant at the local Auto parts store if torquing it to the proper ft/lbs does not work.

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try both.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It sounds like your blow-out preventer failed.

You can deploy submersible robots in an effort to reactivate the blow-out preventer or employ the top hat technique to contain and siphon off the leaking oil until you can stop the gusher. If the robots fail to reactivate the blow-out preventer, you can try a top kill and plug the leak with mud. However, this technique has proven to have limited success under high pressure applications. To overcome this, you can try relieving the pressure by drilling additional holes in close proximity to the leak through which you can inject cement to permanently stop the leak. This process takes a bit longer and requires a great deal of precision drilling. In the mean time, you will have to put up with the messy leak and neighbors complaining about the nasty stain for bit longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts