Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 10K service done at the weekend, except valve lash as I decided to go with majority advice and wait until 20K.

I would recommend the DIY route to even the least technical of us because you will almost certainly take more care than the average dealer tech. I had ordered a new throttle body gasket as I knew the existing one was damaged (dealer or original fit I dont know). Its amazing what you discover when you follow someone elses work on your bike, the gasket was well and truly chewed up and lots of oil on the top of the rear cylinder. This might explain the weeping oil I was experiencing around the top of the rear head?

However when I came to pull the rear cylinder sparkplug I discovered that it was sitting in about 5mm oil:mad:

Question could this simply be a build up from the air cleaner blow by due to the gasket or is it getting there from somewhere else? I could not see any evidence of apparent leak but as anyone knows who has done the job them plugs are in deep!

I cleaned everything up, completed the plug change and reassembly and oil change (Syn 3).

Test rode seemed OK with the bike pulling cleanly and my imagination or not a little quieter top end.

Yesterday on the open rode found a quiet stretch and took it to the reline through first four gears and leveled out at 115 in top and held it there for a couple of miles, nice:angeldev:

I fitted the NGK Iridium plugs and pick up and general pull seemed a little sharper but that could be the overall result of the service.

Question to the techs out there, have you seen this type of oil 'leak' before and should I be worried and get it investigated? For the moment I am monitoring.

All opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Skin

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
It is very possible that the seal around the plug was put on wrong. Were the rocker boxes off? there is a seal that goes around the spark plug hole in the rocker box. The manual stresses making sure this is seated corectly and even references an alignment tool.

If the shop takes the time to really clean the rocker box, and wash it of any oil, and dry it, the new gaskets really stick in place well and won't slip out. But if they reassembled it with old oil in the grooves, then the chance of this slipping out of place on assembly is good.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The breather tube will bring oil back into the intakes. If the gasket between the throttle bodies and the lower airbox is shot, then it would be feaseable that the oil could accumulate inside the deep spark plug well for the rear cylinder. It doesn't sound like the rocker box cover was ever removed, which is why I'm thinking more of a breather issue. :2cents:

·
Autobanmod
9,893 Posts
Quite remarkable - you use metric values :D

Attached a screenshot showing the inner cam cover gasket.
But that wouldn't explain oil between the cylinder heads (unless the spark plug hole was completely filled up with oil).
rj might be right with his hint, it might also be a broken breather tube from the engine venting system.

But to be honest my own guess is misfit inner AND outer cam cover gaskets - based on what you have found so far...

Attachments

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Also, make sure the breather hose that connects the top of the rear head and the lower airbox is good and is attached with hose clamps on both ends or it will leak.

Mike

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys good feedback. I had some warranty work done to correct a rear ctlinder leak so its possible Jan Dirk is correct. The breather pipe was pretty chewed up also so I will replace this.

Dont you just love stealer techs! (apologies to Ski of course)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts