Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I've got two small oil leaks. one by a plug that sits behind the rear cylinder at the bottom, do not know what it is, and one by the cylinder head. if I unscrew the screw on the cylinder there is oil behind it, but not on any of the others? Suggestions?

V rod 2007

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system Automotive design

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to 1130cc.
Rear breather hose leak. Time for a new hose. Cheap fix, located below airfilter housing. Common issue.
Thanks 馃槉

is this for picture two then? You anything about picture one? But there is no oil on the cylinder. Checked a video on youtube. Everything else is dry. And i dont think there should be oil behind the screw on cylinder head?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That screw has a jet in it for lubing the center of the transmission gears. I forget the exact name of it but I think it's called a block throttle port or similar. It's under engine oil pressure so might need a new seal under the head of the bolt . Likely a copper or aluminum crush washer of sorts. Can't determine the other leak source from the pic. The odd time it might seep from the cam cap area of the gasket and creep along the joint to the back but that's about it. Rest of gasket by design is pretty rock solid against leaking. Got a better pic of the leak there? Is it clean and dry everywhere else on that cover, on the breather tube side?
Ron
Everything is clean and dry. Picture one has a jet and a new seal may help?

on picture two, i have cleaned the screw and there is no more oil around there. Should there be oil behind that screw or dry?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Screw in cover is on the outside of sealing so oil has either migrated there from somewhere else along the gap or the sealing is compromised inside of the screw path (slim to nil). Check your front breather hose for possible oil blowing back to that cover. Wind can do some weird shit. Ok, that fitting under the rear cyl is called a Throttle Plug . The sealing washer is # 6298M and the o-ring is 11362K. I'm sure there are automotive substitutes for both when you have it out to look at it.
Ron
Thanks.
I will look there. But is i correct that there should be oil directly under the screw on top of the cylinder? Or i something wrong there?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There should be no oil there. If you had that screw out, make sure you blow any oil out of there before torqueing it to 85 inch pounds or the hydro lock could crack that area of the head around the threads.
Ron
Okey. New info. I dont think its oil. More lub. Se picture. Dont feel like oil. I was down there with a smal stick.

And i was looking around in there now and i think you have right regarding this 鈥漢ose鈥 thing.

firat pic is the lub (i think) cylinder head. The other oil around this screw close to cylinder. But dont know of/how the oil could go up there. But no oil (what i think) in the cylinder.

so. To fix. What to buy?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle

This dont look original? Or is it that way Harley do it? Looks bit cheap.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, that's the rear breather hose. Looks like some home repair done to it. Front is probably bad also. Replace both. To do the job right and know where you stand, I'd suggest the following. Remove the airbox cover, filter and the lower air box. Pull bullet out of head and replace the o ring on it. Part number 11391K. Replace front breather tube # 29504-05A, and the rear breather tube # 29505-05. Put a new throttle body gasket onto the bottom of lower airbox #29439-01
Don't know if you have a SM or not so follow this.
The bullet gets pushed into head first with a tad of lube on the new o ring installed on the brass bullet. The airbox front breather is lowered over it and the stacks and bolts installed. Note the stack to box index marks for front and rear. Alternate the box bolts when tightening. Do not overtighten. Good snug is all they need. Slide the velocity stack o rings back down the bolt head tops. Hook up rear breather hose with clamp. Breather, lid and done. Don't forget the front box lid clip.
Ron
Thanks. I will have a look at it
Many thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, that's the rear breather hose. Looks like some home repair done to it. Front is probably bad also. Replace both. To do the job right and know where you stand, I'd suggest the following. Remove the airbox cover, filter and the lower air box. Pull bullet out of head and replace the o ring on it. Part number 11391K. Replace front breather tube # 29504-05A, and the rear breather tube # 29505-05. Put a new throttle body gasket onto the bottom of lower airbox #29439-01
Don't know if you have a SM or not so follow this.
The bullet gets pushed into head first with a tad of lube on the new o ring installed on the brass bullet. The airbox front breather is lowered over it and the stacks and bolts installed. Note the stack to box index marks for front and rear. Alternate the box bolts when tightening. Do not overtighten. Good snug is all they need. Slide the velocity stack o rings back down the bolt head tops. Hook up rear breather hose with clamp. Breather, lid and done. Don't forget the front box lid clip.
Ron
Are you sure that my bike have that o-ring? Cant find it connected to my bike.
Font Line Parallel Engineering Diagram

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi again. I have now looked some more. There is some oil behind (extremly smal amount) behind some round cover on the cylinder head. Dont know what it is. I cant see any oil coming from any other way. So maybe its from behind there as well? Cant see there oil have going from the hose down there. I took some paper behind there, and found some oil.
I think this is it and that i some typ of cover?

Automotive design Flowerpot Font Art Automotive tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts