Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have put 1900mi (it has 11,900 total) on the V so far and last week I noticed that there is a little oil leaking from the rear left corner of the valve cover which eventually will drip down onto the belt guard. So I read my owners manual which is for a 2004 model but I think the process for checking oil would be the same for an 02 as it would be for an 04. In the manual it says that if you check the oil when the bike is cold the oil level should be in the middle of the hash marks, not actually read full. However when I did so the thing reads all the way to the FULL line. Could this cause the oil to push out of the valve cover like it is?? If so the stealer must have over filled it because I have never touched it until now.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Mine pretty much reads the same hot or cold with full synthetic. A very slight diff.

I'd try running it until it is warmed up then check it again and see what it reads.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Overfilling the crankcase with oil will cause the oil to be pushed out through the cam cover vents. It's also not uncommon for HD dealer techs to overfill V-Rods. It is best to check the oil when hot. You can safely drain back to a point that the dipstick reads mid way in the hash marks when cold (our between the two marked lines if you have a HD chrome or oil temp dipstick) and then check after warming up the bike up and letting it sit for 3 minutes before checking. Level should be at full mark when oil is hot.

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Overfilling the crank case will not cause oil to push out of the valve cover gasket. You are probably getting the oil from a loose connection on the rear cylinder crank case vent hose on top the rear cylinder. Just tighten up the hose clamp and you should be good to go. You might want to make sure none of the valve cover screws are loose while you are in there. Warm your bike up and check the oil, if it is over full then drain enough out to get it right.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HighTechHarley said:
:spank: :deal: :soapbox: :D
To clarify for some.... I just bought the bike this spring with 10K on the odo. The dealer claims to have done the 10K service hence the reason "I haven't touched it".

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sinister_V said:
To clarify for some.... I just bought the bike this spring with 10K on the odo. The dealer claims to have done the 10K service hence the reason "I haven't touched it".
:hidesbeh: Sorry, just hackin' on ya. Don't put any trust in your dealer to check fluids or tire pressures. They leave it up to you to check the basics.

Mike

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Elgavilan said:
Overfilling the crank case will not cause oil to push out of the valve cover gasket. You are probably getting the oil from a loose connection on the rear cylinder crank case vent hose on top the rear cylinder. Just tighten up the hose clamp and you should be good to go. You might want to make sure none of the valve cover screws are loose while you are in there. Warm your bike up and check the oil, if it is over full then drain enough out to get it right.

Mike
:them: The dealer techs are notorious for not tightening this clamp. I'll bet that's your problem. Get out your trusty screwdriver.:)

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
I had the same problem after the 1K service. The dealer replaced all the gaskets/o-rings under warranty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am hoping to have the time this weekend to really figure it out but I am fairly certain its not a loose clamp, I can see exactly where it is seeping out. Its not like I need to trace a trail I cannot see so I am thinking its a bad gasket. If so do you need to pull the engine from the frame since the frame runs right over the valve cover? There doesn't see to be nearly enough clearance to remove it otherwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts