Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My 04 is leaking oil from right around the alternator cover.
Fresh oil seems to be coming from the the boot or gromet where the wires exit the alternator cover.

Anyone else seen this. Whats the fix????

Much thanks....Dave :notworth:

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
replace the stator, they updated the grommet. I tried silicone and gasket maker. Just bite the bullet and pic up a new stator.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
pull cover and clean and use some rtv grey if that does not work then go with the upgrade...$$$

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
pull cover and clean and use some rtv grey if that does not work then go with the upgrade...$$$
I had tried that, worked for a month or so then developed the slow leak again, had to spend the cash. The new gromet was rediculously tighter than the old one.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
it happened on my 05 SE. Dealer replaced stator under extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Don't recall, just shy of 200 I think. I had a hard time finding one, so had to pay full price at a HD shop up in Phoenix az. If you call chicago harley you can get 20% off, the question is how soon can you get it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks G. I am thinking about trying a litle trick with some polyurathane, just to see. I will start looking for a stator in the mean time.

Thanks much for your help...

Have a great Holiday time...:moped:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks G. I am thinking about trying a litle trick with some polyurathane, just to see. I will start looking for a stator in the mean time.

Thanks much for your help...

Have a great Holiday time...:moped:
I'm not sure if this will work or if the grommet has a groove but, if it does try put a o-ring that is for use with oil in the groove.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Mine used to drip 1 dot of oil every 2 months or so. I tightened up the screws holding the cover on & now maybe it drips 1 dot of oil once a season.

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great, thats not too bad. Oils not poring out or anything and it wasnt leaking at all untill I changed the oil. Soooo I figured that the oil plug or te filter was leaking. But noooooooooooooo it is coming from the gromet... :paper:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I took my stator of and checked everything out. The gromet was as loose as a ... well it was REAL loose..lol

I bought three half inch o rings one 1/8 thick and two 1/16. The two 1/16 fit Just perfectly into the two groves in the gromet, they protruded just enough for a nice snug fit into the boss. The 1/8 size I slid all the way to the inside T and it took all of the slop out of the gomet from inside out and made it a PERFECT fit. I think that it will be fine now, no leaks... The problem with using a silicone or rtv type of product is that this gromet needs to move ever so slightly from time to tme and that movement breaks the bond of those type products. The cost of the fix was less tha .50 cents.
Thats the kind of price I like :broke: That money is better spent on cigars and beer IMHO :broke: My pic skills suck !!
Pic 1 to much slop oil leaking. 2. orig. gromet. 3. o rings. 4. 4, 5 & 6 gomet w/ three o rings in place.

Thanks for all the help. Happy Holidays to all

Attachments

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
HEFADORE - By George I think you've come up with a winner!!! Nice job, I'll have to add that fix to my memory banks :)... Thanks for posting the pic's...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Its working like a charm T. The gromet looks as if it was made to put O rings on and they neglected to do it. Oh well, its not a bad couple of hrs work. A couple of beers and a cigar "BAM" I was done.

Gdub, I will surely repost if there is any type of failure.

In reality it was a very small leak, but I hate a leak! Wiki or otherwise.

:eek:fftopic: We need a Cigar smoking smiley...:blahblah:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts