Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
V-Rod Extremist
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Looking for advice as to how to fix an oil leak on my V-Rod. I'm not familiar with the parts that the pictures reveal (please see below). This is the first oil leak I've had since owning the bike. Have approximately 30,000 miles and the last oil used was Rotella 15W40. Prior to this I used HD Screamin' Eagle from which no oil leaks occurred.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Looks like it is coming from the stator wires? Could just be the gromet. Was not that unheard of on the pre 04's, but I have not heard of it on the 07. Try pulling off the cover and using RTV. There was another thread were a guy put a grommet in to stop his. I will see if I can find it.

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
I've got the same leak w/my '07 DX. I'm going to pull the cover and put some RTV around the wires - somebody tell me if there is a better fix.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Don't rush this repair. CLEAN all the oil and grease from the wires and case, then use the RTV to seal. Let the RTV set fully before installing the cover back on the bike.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
alright, stupid question time. why are you using rotella 15w40? use nothing but the good stuff. amsoil 20w50/ hit up 02man98 he can hook you up with the good stuff.

·
V-Rod Extremist
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's up everyone? First, thank you all for the replies. After taking the clutch case off it was no surprise to find the grommet had slowly detached itself from the clutch case thus causing oil to seep through onto the stator wires. I waited for warmer weather and when the oil was more rigid to clean everything off. I applied RTV to the grommet and waited roughly 24 hours to settle in. Rode the bike roughly 200 miles these past few days and no oil leaks whatsoever. Cheers guys!

·
V-Rod Extremist
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure enough, another oil leak from the same spot 6 years later after amassing about 30K miles. Good news is the red RTV did the job but worked until the heat shrunk down the rubber of the stator wire. Found a permanent fix with $0.60 item and 4-5 hours of labor:

1.) Lean the bike on its right side for oil to shift towards the transmission away from the alternator case. Will seem awkward but there's no other way to save that oil unless you drain it. Take off the alternator case and clean the oil inside.

2.) Disassemble the stator. Long process and refer to the manual page 8-11.

3.) Buy an #9 Rubber O-Ring that measures 5/8 X 7/16 X 3/32 and insert in front of the round rubber grommet. The process is tedious an involves cutting the stator wires then re-soldering it back together.

See the photos below. No need to buy another stator wire or use RTV ever again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
The stator plug can be taken apart. No cutting required. I used a touch of RTV and the O ring trick 4 years ago, still dry! Joe

·
V-Rod Extremist
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CPTJAM. Yes, you can remove the connector and avoid the hassle of soldering. Crossing my fingers no more leaks. So far so good,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you just place some RTV silicone on from the outside to stop the leak? Not looking for a permanent fix atm just something to hold it over until I have more time to open it up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Same spot for my 03 as well. I have the gaskets and whatnot on order right now to pull it apart and repair it. Seems like a common problem. At least it is only one of few.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
You should not need new gaskets. Old ones will do just fine. Just lots of High temp RTV. Make sure you clean everything real good before RTVing it or you will be doing it over again. Also do not use the RTV sparingly. Lots of it will assure a tight seal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would have reused the gaskets if I had not already been in there doing other items a couple years ago. Cheap insurance to just put a new gasket. I don't like doing things twice.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Timely resurrection of this topic. My Street Rod has decided it wants to be a real Harley-Davidson. It's marking its spot.

Seems I'll be fixing this leak also. :ithappen::broke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts