Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my mechanical ignorance but i need some advice/help. I have a recently purchased 2003 Harley vrod (6k miles). After riding i have noticed a couple of areas with oil seeping. In the first two photos below, the oil puddling up slightly below where the cam cover(?) bolts down to the far right (just beneath the torqued bolt?) In the photo, you can see the oil just below it, i believe that was from another issue. This was after i cleaned it off directly where the seams are. The oil actually puddles at the seam, right below the bolt.

In the last photo, when i run a rag along the seam, just behind the temp gauge/oil dipstick, i notice a little oil seaping at the seam. hard to see with the naked eye and it is not dripping down or running down the motor. Just a little at the actual seam. Any idea what i should do.

The leak in the first two photos is really noticeable after riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to get the same thing on my 2003, but a little worse. In my case, it looked like the front breather hose wasn't staying on the bottom of the air box properly and allowed oil to leak out, as Elrod stated. I took the air box off, cleaned up the oil that was on the bottom of it, then reinstalled everything but put a hose clamp on the front breather so it would stay in place. That was about 2,000 miles ago and I haven't seen any oil since.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i removed the air box cover and did not find any oil in the airbox. the filter was clean as well. can someone tell me or post a photo of the breather hoses that i need to check. I"m not sure where they are located. thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I think there is no oil in the airbox because it is not getting there, it is coming out of the rear, as in the picture and leaking on the rear head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really need to buy the Harley service manual for your bike.It is filled with information and descriptive pictures.
Thanks for the photo. I will be ordering the manual for sure. I didn't take the airbox completely off as in this photo. I just took the cover and filter out and didn't see any oil inside the box.

I will try to remove it completely like picture shows. That should give me a better view of where it may be coming from.

Should i have any oil in the air box itself (where the filter is located)?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
no oil should be in the filter area,but on some engines it does puddle there.
Have a new gasket,the one w the 2 big holes that goes between the lowe air box and the top of the throttle bodys.This gasket tears easy,is inexpensive and you should keep a spare hanging around.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oil Leak

Sorry for my mechanical ignorance but i need some advice/help. I have a recently purchased 2003 Harley vrod (6k miles). After riding i have noticed a couple of areas with oil seeping. In the first two photos below, the oil puddling up slightly below where the cam cover(?) bolts down to the far right (just beneath the torqued bolt?) In the photo, you can see the oil just below it, i believe that was from another issue. This was after i cleaned it off directly where the seams are. The oil actually puddles at the seam, right below the bolt.

In the last photo, when i run a rag along the seam, just behind the temp gauge/oil dipstick, i notice a little oil seaping at the seam. hard to see with the naked eye and it is not dripping down or running down the motor. Just a little at the actual seam. Any idea what i should do.

The leak in the first two photos is really noticeable after riding.
My brother's bike 08 Night rod had this problem too. He ran all day on Sunday. When he get home. He saw oil leak just like you said. The same area. He called dealer and they say have to bring it in to check what happen. Does everybody know how much it cost to fit? He think it is the gasket problem. He will take the air box off to see if any things coming loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts