Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Reformed User
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this oil leak? Mine has been leaking for a little while now. I plan on re-torqing the cover bolts to see if that helps. I read a post about someone saying they had a cracked engine case causing the problem. I think mine is leaking either from the wires coming out between the case/cover or from the mating surfaces of the two. If anyone has any insight, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
JustinTyme, Jeannies bike started leaking from the alternator cover with about 300 miles on it. They replaced the seal and cleaned the chrome up and no more problems since. I have read several people that have had the cover leak.

Max
 

·
V-Rod Addict
Joined
·
271 Posts
My V-Rod has been leaking oil from the alternator cover since the day after I bought it. I've been to two different dealers. What do I have to show for it? A new derby cover o-ring, two spankin' new alternator cover gaskets, and still a puddle of oil beneath my V-Rod.

I should have taken pictures because on my most recent trip home from a dealer (125 mile road trip) the oil drip caused a rooster tail of $8 a quart SYN3 to spray all over my swingarm and belt guards.

My bike is back in the shop and I've missed three unusually warm November riding days :( They talked about sanding some of the chrome off the back of the cover to get a better seal . . . I hope it works this time!
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
oldhd I'm sure the chrome has a lot to do with being hard to seal the surface area's.

Max
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Mine leaked pretty good at 200 miles and the dealer put a new gasket and made sure to seal the wires really good with silicon sealer as mentioned in the service manual.

So far another 2500 miles and no signs of another leak.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
My '03 just turned 300 miles and my dad asks me if my bike is leaking oil... I asked why and he said b/c there is a drip under it.. I thought he was pulling my leg with the ol' "Harleys always leak" gag but SOB there is A LOT of oil clinging to the bottom of the side cover on the left side...aarrrgg... I'll have to double check the grommet but I'm sure the front of that cover was very dry and all the oil was on the very bottom..
I'll mention it to the dealer and have them check for warpage if I take it in.

ks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,777 Posts
Took 3 tries, but they finally fixed my oil leak. Required a whole new Alternator cover, as mine turned out to be warped. After getting it back it still leaked a miniscual amount but after about 100 miles I guess the gasket finally expanded and doesnt leak now.
 

·
V-Rod Addict
Joined
·
466 Posts
Mine is back at the dealer as I type... For the second time. Oil leaks SUCK!
 

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
TAKE IT FROM A DEALER ,THE CHROME TENDS TO GATHER
AT THE WIRE OPENING,EVEN NEW COVERS,SAND FLAT,
NEW GASKET GOOD TO GO.WE'VE DONE A HALF DOZEN.
TOOK AWHILE TO FIGURE IT OUT.BE NICE THE DEALERS ARE
LEARNING TO. :thumb:
 

·
durata membro
Joined
·
17,603 Posts
Mine was the stator seal.They replaced the complete assy. as the seal is an intregral part.Oh,it was leaking oil at the wires and dripping down.


Elrod on the V-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I had the same problem as everyone else. Heres the deal. There is a rubber grommet that houses the stator wires, which acts as part of the seal. HD has told the techs to replace the stator as the rubber grommet tends to colapse after it has been re-tourqed. The real solution is to convert to the 04 style cover which has an independant hole in it for the stator wires. HD has this listed as the final resource to fix the dreaded oil leak.The cost is around $450 as it includes a new stator with a matching plug for the new cover. If enough of us bitch we could possibly get this covered in our warranty. If we don't then everytime we remove the alt. cover we stand a chance of having to replace the stator in order to get a seal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have the same leak (coming from where the wires exit). I am out of warranty. How much will it cost to sand it flat and replace the gasket?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Derek said:
I had the same problem as everyone else. Heres the deal. There is a rubber grommet that houses the stator wires, which acts as part of the seal. HD has told the techs to replace the stator as the rubber grommet tends to colapse after it has been re-tourqed. The real solution is to convert to the 04 style cover which has an independant hole in it for the stator wires. HD has this listed as the final resource to fix the dreaded oil leak.The cost is around $450 as it includes a new stator with a matching plug for the new cover. If enough of us bitch we could possibly get this covered in our warranty. If we don't then everytime we remove the alt. cover we stand a chance of having to replace the stator in order to get a seal.
I have had this oil leak start right after the warranty ran out (of course!).
I've tried replacing the gasket (once), using silicone sealer (once), and it still leaks. $450 sounds mighty steep for a "proper" repair with the correct parts.
Anyone have any luck with the Motor Company stepping up to the plate and fixing it out of warranty?

Best,
Pino
 

·
Old Guys Rule
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
pino said:
I have had this oil leak start right after the warranty ran out (of course!).
I've tried replacing the gasket (once), using silicone sealer (once), and it still leaks. $450 sounds mighty steep for a "proper" repair with the correct parts.
Anyone have any luck with the Motor Company stepping up to the plate and fixing it out of warranty?

Best,
Pino
Go to the GMC dealer and get GMS (General Motors Sealant) and it wont leak anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Manhorse said:
Go to the GMC dealer and get GMS (General Motors Sealant) and it wont leak anymore.
Are you speaking from a good experience? ( I hope!)
Do you know what makes the GMS more successful?

Best,
Pino
 

·
Old Guys Rule
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
I do believe Max used GMS to stop his valve cover leak and after 3 tries trying to stop my Alt cover leak with new gaskets, I used GMS and not a drop in 2k miles now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
The problem is that the cover is not flat due to the way Harley plates them. The proper way to fix it is to remove the cover, clean and dry it,and then use either a surface plate, which you probably don`t have or a piece of plate glass larger than your cover [ plate glass is pretty flat ], lay a sheet of sandpaper 180 or rougher on the glass and rub your cover over it until it is fairly flat. It will not leak after that. Harley is aware of the problem, I pointed it out to them in 2002.
Please remember that mated FLAT surfaces don`t leak.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top