Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the 7th time in 6 months my 03 is in the shop again. I dropped off the bike to have the flaking chrome looked at, the recall done, the coolant leak checked out, the stalling issue resolved and to find out why the bike won't stay running.

It's been there a week and they still have'nt looked at it. they said the parts arrived today but did't know whick ones. When I took the bike in on a trailer, there was a factory rep there at the time. He looked at the chrome and the manager said the Harley chrome would be replaced. Now they say that a rep has to come from Milwaulke and decide what to do and how to proceed. I believe they are trying to not cover the chrome issue. the manager said that the recent hurricane contributed to the flaking of the chrome ( more than normal moisture this season). Am I wrong or if this is the case, all Harley's in my area should be flaking or maybe this is just happening in MY garage.

The bike was in the shop 4 times in three weeks for an oil leak when it was a month old. The chrome was brought to their attention at 4 months (prior to the hurricane), The stalling has been since new but the coolant leak just happened the day before I took the bike to the shop. It also would not start, turned over 2 or 3 times and cut off.

I love the bike but I am getting just a little upset. I am paying alot of money for a motorcycle that looks like sh%t after 4 months.

Has anyone experienced this? and what wee the outcomes. Some responses would be appreciated. I'll print them and take them to the dealer (just to show this isn't an isolated case).

I'm not sure I even want to keep the bike anymore.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Could we get a little more information about the location of the leaks and which pieces of chrome are flaking. We have seen coolant leaks from two different locations, the filler neck and the water pump itself. Like I say more information would help.

I have had several oil leaks from the rear valve cover myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure where the coolant is coming from. There was a puddle under the left side of the bike 6" in diameter. the oil leaks were coming from the left side cover, they replaced it finally. The chrome is flaking by the mounting screw on the front fender, valve covers on both sides by the bolts, the new cover they put on is blistered, the cover for the front pully is flaking around the Harley stickers and all of the chrome by the derby cover and the right side. The chrome by the instrument cluster is ok though! I guess I got lucky.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The chrome by the instrument cluster is just plastic with chrome, that might explain some of the problem. All of the other spots are metal with chrome meaning that moisture with salt mixed might be your problem. Oil leaking at the left side or generator cover has been reported by several people including my wifes v-rod but it seems to be repaired now with a gasket replacement.

It is my oppinion that all the oil leaks are a result of the chrome on the covers. People with the 04's that are just polished aluminum seem to be leak free from what I have read so far.

I hope they get all your issues resolved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max-I do live 12 miles from the ocean. I have another bike in the same garage with all of my tools and other chrome items. None of them are peeling or flaking. My truck is parked outside and none of that chrome has problems. The blisters appear to be from under the chrome, the flaking I can't explain. I have only washed the bike twice. I usually just wipe it down with the Harley products. I do use Mother's billet on the wheels. It's just after 4 months and 2900 miles I don't feel this should be happening, even if I parked it out in the weather. I hope they take care of it too. I did ask them what my alternatives were as to trading it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
JStranick it isn't always how they are treated day to day it may have happened on one single occasion. All of the chrome giving problems except that on the plastic would indicate to me that salt or moisture had penetrated the barriers on the metal. It might have even happened before you got the bike and has taken that long to show up.

Example all of the F bodys that gm sells (camaros, firebirds) are made in Canada and those that are built in the winter make a several mile trip to the rail depot and are run for test. Here in Texas we see almost no rust at all but those F bodys that came from Canada during the winter will get here and the next summer when you look under the cars you would swear the cars were from NY or someplace in that area. The chrome on the wheels will bubble and the rear diffs will be a big ball of rust. All of that occurs during one very short exposure.

Max

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the MOCO is going to cover my chrome. I called the dealership today and spoke to a service writer. He said they had not done anything to my bike because they were waiting on parts. I asked which ones, and he proceeded to list all of the chrome parts! YEA! Still don't know about the rest of the problems though, they did'nt have any techs there to give me an answer. Making progress, feels GOOD!

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Your coolant problem could be your overfil tank itself.I had a leak from day one.I followed the leak along the bike and ended at the top of the overfill tank.weird the top!
or:
it could be the cap for the overfill tank,The sttealer told me they have replaced quite a few caps.

I think that the people doing the chroming are idiots.My cam covers,and water pump have got blistered.They would only replace the rear cover.When they did they messed up the oilvent line from cover to air box.It leaked until they put a new line on.

They also replaced my overfill tank,cap,and nylon tube in they tank,and water pump.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hang in there and be cool!The squeaky wheel gets the Grease but my civil about it!Let us know how it all turns out.:cool:

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
I have the same problem with my chrome and I'm no where close to the ocean or salty roads. Harley said they use many different vendors for these parts. Claimed it was something I did and refused to cover it under warrenty. I'm happy for you but on the other hand it kinda pisses me off. If you can get some kind of explaination of the problem please let me know.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
If this happened to me, I'd trade the bike in on a new V-rod, or another Harley to the same dealer the bike was bought from.

One of the benefits with dealing with the dealer is they are there not only to represent MoCO, but also to represent their customers to MoCo. If approached properly, the dealer should work with you to get you top dollar on the trade, as long as the problems were not caused by the owner.

You might take it in the pants a little now, but down the road it will save you the time and frustration from enjoying a really great product that the V-rod really is. Start negoitiating now with your sales representitve with the idaea of trading, get him or her to employe the help of the sales manager, as it rings up into a new vehicle sale for them, which in turn they make some $ and they will try to work the deal with the MoCo factory rep to be able to get the bike in shape to resell to someone else.

Its a bummer when someone else ends up with the problem, but hey, :ithappens.

Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chrome problem fixed

I picked up my bike yesterday. Just to keep you posted. Three pages of chrome items were replaced, the coolant leak was a fitting, the recall has been done and so far, the bike starts.

There is a blemish on the rocker cover though. I made note of it, we'll see if it starts to flake. I did notice an oil drip in the same location as the first four visits to the shop. They did replace the cover, so the original oil leakmay be because of the chrome to gasket seal.

The bike sounds and looks great!!! There was snow on the ground so I havn't ridden it yet.

Joe:icon_mrgr

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
All right Joe! You got your baby back! Now ride....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
JStranick that's good news and you may want to post a copy of the invoice for others that are having a hard time getting chrome problems covered.

Max

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
WOW! Glad to hear your story has a happy ending... my '02 spent most of this year in the shop because of the quality issues surrounding the chrome, etc. Had both valve cover boxes replaced... went through several sets before finding two that were unblemished... front wheel bearing leaked all over... fork legs were trashed, tranny was "clunky", yada, yada, yada. Now, just in time for winter, it's "all better"... will bring her back home again in the spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max, If I fax you a copy of the invoice can you post it? My scanner does not work with my new computer and it's too much to type.

Joe

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
The factory rep tried telling us that the chrome was peeling because the bike must have gotten washed while the motor was hot.:rolleyes:

The stalling is probably being caused by the fuel feed line being pulled out of the fitting (inside the fuel tank). Ask your dealer to pressure-test the system - it should hold between 45-50 psi... in the "run" position after 20 seconds, turn it off... pressure should hold for 3-5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hang in there. I had problems with my new 05. Got to where I was really disgusted and regretting getting the bike. But after some persistence and trips back to the dealer, they made things right. Have put over $10k in mods on the bike since then and love it!

Hang in there. You won't regret it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts