Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I have a leak inside the radiator. Smoke comes off the fins when I run it, and leaves a white residue. BUT, also seem to have oil originating from somewhere in the radiator area too. Drip comes from the left air scoop bottom mounting screw when its on the stand. Traced "oil" up to the vertical section of the rigid hoses that go from the left and right bottom sides of the radiator and then up over the top of the radiator. But in that same area is where the white residue is. Can't seem to find any leaks in the solid hoses, but whatever is dripping on the floor doesn't smell like antifreeze. So I'm trying to figure out if I have 2 separate issues, or one. does the oil run through the radiator somehow? I don't know if it has an oil cooler or what. Just know enough about bikes to be dangerous.

Last time I had trouble with this bike, I swore I'd sell it. Bad rear bearing last year, grinding belt ever since I bought it new. only 8k miles on it. its an 08. I've about had it. And eventhough I paid ALOT of extra money for a 7 year warranty, they try to decline my claim every time and it turns into a big fiasco. Sick of it. Ok. I feel better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the same leak and can't figure it out... looks like its oil coming from the coolant resevoir tube that feeds down the front of the radiator and then stops at the bottom against the shroud..

Anyone??

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
It does have an oil cooler mounted underneath the radiator. Take the radiator side covers off and see if the oil cooler lines are leaking where they attach to the cooler. Also take a screw driver and tighten ALL the hose clamps on the radiator hoses.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
:them:

Look and ye shall find...

·
Ride hard die hard
243 Posts
oil + coolant would not be a good combination... lol together anyways. Probably not your case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My issue turned out to be a leaky coolant hose. Not sure why the drips felt oily, told the dealership about it, but they said nothing about any oil issues after thier "professional" diagnosis.

Cost me 95 dollars, parts/labor. They quoted me that then tried to charge me 165 when I picked it up... "had to replace coolant, and a clamp. Also did a 'pressure test' on the system". I called BS on it because they QUOTED me 95.... and that's what they got.

Back at the ranch... the coolant from the hose was dripping down to the top of the radiator and gave the appearance that the leak was in the fins. Just fyi.

PS, hoses aren't covered by service plans... radiators are... my luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is obviously leaking out of the rubber tube which feeds down the front of the readiator and appears to be going up to the coolant resevoir?? BUT, the fluid coming out is DEFINATELY oil... black as night as my oil needs changed before the season starts...

My main question, what is the purpose of this line anyway, it butts up against the bottom of the radiator/oil cooler shroud, no hole or anything for it to drain from, it just sits up against it?

It never did this last year, i park it for the winter, and now this...

And why the hell is there oil coming out of what looks to be a coolant resevoir overflow hose? Am I mistaken? I can't get one of the allens out of the bottom of the shroud to get it fully removed to inspect as it is stripped to all hell.

Its an 03 Vrsca

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Mine is obviously leaking out of the rubber tube which feeds down the front of the readiator and appears to be going up to the coolant resevoir?? BUT, the fluid coming out is DEFINATELY oil... black as night as my oil needs changed before the season starts...

My main question, what is the purpose of this line anyway, it butts up against the bottom of the radiator/oil cooler shroud, no hole or anything for it to drain from, it just sits up against it?

It never did this last year, i park it for the winter, and now this...

And why the hell is there oil coming out of what looks to be a coolant resevoir overflow hose? Am I mistaken? I can't get one of the allens out of the bottom of the shroud to get it fully removed to inspect as it is stripped to all hell.

Its an 03 Vrsca
The single rubber line that goes to the clear plastic coolant tank is the overflow line. The only way oil would be coming out of it is if the coolant reservoir was filled with oil. Most likely is leftover oil mess from changing the oil and filter that may have gotten on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts