Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow muscle riders,

So I turned in my bike on warranty the other day to have an oil leak fixed. I was pretty sure the oil leak was coming from my rear cylinder head.

After inspection from the dealership; I was correct. They told me as expected that they don't have the parts to fix it (Because you know how well delarships stock vrod parts) ;o). I have to wait 5-7 days for the parts to come in "Ride your bike till then" then will fix it once the part comes in.

Serious comments only please. I would like to know what you would say or do in this sitution? In the end I have to wait and they have to fix it but I feel like I should be doing or saying something. I am just not sure what I want to do yet. My bike only 3,400 miles on it. :banghead:

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is nothing you can do but wait. Ride it all you want, and when the parts come in let them fix it and clean it up for you under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
i can see how you feel, probably not real comfortable with either riding or not. I bet you might sleep better if you had the service manager write a note saying "i have told mr. customer to ride his bike all he want that nothing will go wrong" doubt he will do it but if he wont then why tell you its ok? personally i would have no issues if its a jug gasket leaking,,,,,,unless you live on a dirt road

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Depending on the extent of the leak, I would keep an eye on the oil levels but ride like he said.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
NOT to be a worry wart but this aint no normal harley we are dealing with here. REMEMBER WATER COOLED, why is this important?
Well, head to cylinder leaking and you might burn a valve drawing in air or worse, or the leak gets worse and blows thru to the water jacket and leaks coolant out or worse gets in the engine.
Cylinder to block leak no big deal right? Well, same deal if the leak continues and ruins the water passage of the gasket then your screwed as well if coolant all leaks out and you blow the engine or coolant gets in the bottom end and ruins the engine. Take a look at where your water pump is (center of the engine) do you think water travels thru the cylinders???? YA IT DOES.
I think someone telling you to still drive is really really bad advise.
I see why the advise is given, on the evo engines they were blowing jug gaskets out like crazy and guys drove them that way, this aint no "AIR COOLED" typical Harley. Drive it around till we get the parts in????? DUMB DUMB DUMB advise that i can assure you Harley INC.would never give.

·
Ride hard die hard
243 Posts
NOT to be a worry wart but this aint no normal harley we are dealing with here. REMEMBER WATER COOLED, why is this important?
Well, head to cylinder leaking and you might burn a valve drawing in air or worse, or the leak gets worse and blows thru to the water jacket and leaks coolant out or worse gets in the engine.
Cylinder to block leak no big deal right? Well, same deal if the leak continues and ruins the water passage of the gasket then your screwed as well if coolant all leaks out and you blow the engine or coolant gets in the bottom end and ruins the engine. Take a look at where your water pump is (center of the engine) do you think water travels thru the cylinders???? YA IT DOES.
I think someone telling you to still drive is really really bad advise.
I see why the advise is given, on the evo engines they were blowing jug gaskets out like crazy and guys drove them that way, this aint no "AIR COOLED" typical Harley. Drive it around till we get the parts in????? DUMB DUMB DUMB advise that i can assure you Harley INC.would never give.

This is a valve cover leak...not a head leak. ? It just keeps oil around the cams.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
This is a valve cover leak...not a head leak. ? It just keeps oil around the cams.
this is original post "So I turned in my bike on warranty the other day to have an oil leak fixed. I was pretty sure the oil leak was coming from my rear cylinder head"
Rear cylinder leaking head is more then just the cam covers, Cylinder to head and cylinder to block as well. He never said exactly what or where it was leaking. If its the cam cover gasket thats one thing but as i stated before if its somewhere else thats a whole nother deal. paul

·
Ride hard die hard
243 Posts
this is original post "So I turned in my bike on warranty the other day to have an oil leak fixed. I was pretty sure the oil leak was coming from my rear cylinder head"
Rear cylinder leaking head is more then just the cam covers, Cylinder to head and cylinder to block as well. He never said exactly what or where it was leaking. If its the cam cover gasket thats one thing but as i stated before if its somewhere else thats a whole nother deal. paul

True true, i'm 100% with you if its from the bottom of the head. That would suck. Seems like these bikes have guys not properly torquing them from the factory. Hmmm...:chair:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the extra information. For now I am riding it this week until the parts come in. I am just keeping an eye on it. If the leak get's real bad before the parts arrive I will stop riding.

On the plus side it was a great ride into work this morning.

Thanks again.

·
Ride hard die hard
243 Posts
Glad to hear its good weather. It will be perfect in GA when I get back!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Make sure your air box isn't leaking oil , the velocity stacks can burp oil from time to time , there is an oil return on the bottom of the airbox and it took a while for me to figure where the oil as coming from , it collected on the left side of the water pump

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
have to side with Hanny, riding the bike will only make the leak worse and why take a chance on damage, internal or external, you could also be giving the dealer a reason to void the repair under warranty by siting negligence abuse :deal:

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Ahhh, guys, this thread had a birthday 10 days ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts