Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very small and slow, but messy oil leak. hopefully coming from the primary cover on water pump side of engine. I ordered the gasket from Harley couple days ago.
does anyone have any advise or know of any good how to videos on how to go about changing this gasket.
I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic but, I am mechanically inclined I have always done my own mechanic work with tips from others more knowledgeable than myself and youtube.

My main concern is that I dont really know what is under that cover when I remove it will there be any u expected surprises, and is there anything I should know about removing the exhaust to access it, Do I have to remove the exhaust.
I just want to be fully prepared so I dont have my engine opened up or apart any longer than nessecary
again thx for any help or advise

Attachments

·
Laid back grump
26 Posts
There's only a clutch and oil pump under the cover, so removal poses no risk. You do need to remove the exhaust.

Remove the clutch actuator cover then the clutch actuator and swing aside. Then remove the cover using the sequence below:

Accurate alignment of the gasket to the crankcase is important. No specific instructions are given but I'd tack the gasket to the cover and ensure the holes line up perfectly.

Installation is the reverse. The cover socket headed screws are torqued in the same (not reverse) sequence as removal above to 9.7 Nm. The clutch actuator screws are tightened to 10 Nm, and the clutch actuator cover screws are tightened to 6-10 Nm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts