Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i have done some searching and found a thread on this, but it was old and there was no solution posted. The top allen bolt on the clutch cover seems to be leaking oil, I had the gasket replaced and it still leaks. The HD dealer says they cannot find a source. They put it on a dyno and added dye to the oil. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
OK, i have done some searching and found a thread on this, but it was old and there was no solution posted. The top allen bolt on the clutch cover seems to be leaking oil, I had the gasket replaced and it still leaks. The HD dealer says they cannot find a source. They put it on a dyno and added dye to the oil. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?
First, you need to inspect that the oil isn't coming from somewhere else and just ending up there. Then if that's ruled out, is it leaking right at the bolt head, on the outer edge of the cover or right at the joint of the cover at that bolt? Two possibles. You need to clean all traces off , ride only long enough until you see the first indication of a wet spot. Oil migrating down the threads of the bolt, possibly from a void inside allowing oil to go there from the blind hole in the case or a micro crack in the cover at the bolt hole. You could try to remove that bolt, spray the threads clean with brake cleaner and use a sealant on the bolt threads and re-torque the bolt. Failing that, pull the cover and use dye penetrant in the area of the bolt and inspect for a possible crack. Dealer not finding it is no surprise, there. What might might help in zeroing in on the leak is make sure the hole area is clean and spotless. Spray the whole zone (the full top joint of cover) with foot powder. Look for the first wet spot to show up in the powder spray. One of the more stupid finds I've had on another brand of bike was a leaky fork seal. Wind would blow it back to show up as a leak elsewhere. Point is, it can be found with time and effort.
Ron

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kjones REPORTED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts