Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow V-rodder's....

I am having a problem with oil in my air-breather. I have taken my bike the the dealership in Tigard 3x, Albany 4x and Eugene 2x and no one can solve this issue. I have an 06 street rod and they seem to be dumb found as to why oil pools up in my air-breather. As fellow bike owners I'm sure you can appreciate my concern, I do not want oil pooling up in there and then dipping down onto my motor. If anyone out there has experienced the same problem and found a solution HELP! Or can fix this issue please send me HELP/advice on who can and will fix the oil pool from hell!

thx Lori O.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I wish I could answer your question, but I'm not one of the smart ones here :D

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I'm sure somebody will give you the answer your looking for, this place is great for finding info on this bike we all love!!!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
It is normal to have some oil in the air cleaner area from the breather tubes on the bike.

Check your oil level and make sure it's not overfilled. That is the number one reason for getting excess oil in the breather system.

RJ

·
Registered
597 Posts
Riding style can also play a big effect on oil in the aircleaner. If you lug the engine, you get more oil in the aircleaner.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
oi in breather

:them:

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
First - welcome to the forum!:welcome: :vrodforu: :welcome:
Check the hoses and fittings that run up into the intake. Make sure they are connected and that the small hoses aren't split. I had an issue with my 03 when I got it and it turned out to be the plastic fittings that connect the breather from the head into the airbox. This was like a $4.50 part.
As mentioned, check your oil level as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Each shop has done somehing diffrent. One shop put all new hoses on and another has but in a new seals. They have all told me it should not be spitting oil into the air breather but it is. Maybe the oil has been over filled....well between 3 dealerships and 9 trips to the shop they all couldn't be that dump and over fill the oil could they? Anthow I do check the oil regulary and it seem to truly be full when it read a 1/4 of a quart low. Even if it reads lower (oil level) it still pools in my breather and runs down my motor. Any suggestions on how to solve this? Has anyone else experenced oil pooling in their air-breather?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
:worthless

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Lori O. said:
Each shop has done somehing diffrent. One shop put all new hoses on and another has but in a new seals. They have all told me it should not be spitting oil into the air breather but it is. Maybe the oil has been over filled....well between 3 dealerships and 9 trips to the shop they all couldn't be that dump and over fill the oil could they? Anthow I do check the oil regulary and it seem to truly be full when it read a 1/4 of a quart low. Even if it reads lower (oil level) it still pools in my breather and runs down my motor. Any suggestions on how to solve this? Has anyone else experenced oil pooling in their air-breather?
Lori, when do you check your oil, when the bike is hot or when it's cold? You should always check it when the bike is hot. There is a description of how to do it in your owners manual. When you get gas stop the bike, get gas, hold the bike upright and as level as possible and unscrew the dip stick. Wipe it off and then reinsert it and screw the cap down all of the way, then remove the cap and look at the dip stick. If it is overfilled when the oil is hot, remove enough oil to bring the level down to the full mark or slightly lower. The other thing that was mentioned that may have a bearing on your problem is not lugging the engine. These engines run better when they are wound up. Don't drop the hammer on a cold engine but don't be afraid to wind it up either. I normally ride with the engine reving around 5k rpm when I'm at the speed limit. Shift when you feel you need to but again don't hesitate to run the engine harder, good luck on finding the problem and welcome to the club.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Didn't the engineers at the KC Rally say the new (08) air box fixes this problem?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Jetgod said:
Didn't the engineers at the KC Rally say the new (08) air box fixes this problem?
No. The new seals for the breathers help reduce the pesky leaking.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Lori O. said:
Hello fellow V-rodder's....

I am having a problem with oil in my air-breather. I have taken my bike the the dealership in Tigard 3x, Albany 4x and Eugene 2x and no one can solve this issue. I have an 06 street rod and they seem to be dumb found as to why oil pools up in my air-breather. As fellow bike owners I'm sure you can appreciate my concern, I do not want oil pooling up in there and then dipping down onto my motor. If anyone out there has experienced the same problem and found a solution HELP! Or can fix this issue please send me HELP/advice on who can and will fix the oil pool from hell!

thx Lori O.
there is a new seal for the front breather that keeps oil from running down on the motor. as far as oil in the filter housing most but not all v-rods do it. some alot worse than others. running a half quart low on the dipstick helps some. h-d says to only put 4.5 quarts in a v-rod but if you do it reads a 1/2 quart low. as a side note our high hp v-rod has never put a hint of oil in the air filter housing even with a 2 ring piston(gapless compression ring.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. oil is disapearing and I add a quart every 500 miles or so. at 11 dollars a quart. I had it in shop a dozen times. they have no clue in my opinion. they started by saying it was a problem and now they seem to be blaming me for riding fast and even told me that if I want to ride fast with no oil loss I need to buy a japanese bike.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Plenty of threads on this topic. Do the Search: "Oil in the Airbox", etc. This is a common thing for these bikes. I had my Airbox open yesterday and there was the film of oil inside but that's normal. I do have small hose clamps on the tubes to help.

Probably the weakest spot is the front cyclinder at the "copper looking rifle case" that slips in the rubber grommet. Hard to get a good seal here. Here is a start:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74602&highlight=OIL+IN+AIRBOX

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts